It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Schizophrenia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2006, 03:00 AM   #1
(female)

blue712 HB User
drug related schizophrenia

does anyone know someone who developed schizophrenia from drug use? i am very concerned for my sister, she hasnt been 'herself' for about 4 or 5 years. she suffers from anorexia/bulemia (can that cause schizophrenic symptoms?) and i know she uses drugs but i dont know if she still uses. i want to help her so badly and i am afraid she will get into some very serious trouble in the near future. my family has done everything they can think of to help her. she is 24 so we cant have her hospitalized without her conscent because she doesnt appear to be a 'threat' to herself or anyone else, she refuses to take medication/see a psychiatrist, and my parents have even tried threatening her but she is still very ill.i want to know if i will ever have my sister back, i would really appreciate any feedback. thanks.

Old 03-18-2006, 11:06 AM   #2
(female)

Mortician HB User
Re: drug related schizophrenia

yeah its called drug induced schizophrenia.
i got diagnosed with that when i was 17
of course he was wrong. another doctor told me so
......drugs can give you schizophrenic symptoms. but nothing can cause schizophrenia.....you have it or you dont.
if you wanna help her i suggest you try and get her off drugs. if shes on them.
its no lie when people say drugs mae you brain dead......its just some more so than others, and some over a longer period.
anorexia/bulimia cant give you schizophrenia.

ask her if shes taken and hallucinogenic drugs such as mushrooms(shrooms) Extasy ( it has mdma in it) if she does this alot it could account for some anorexic symptoms because the ingrediants in E cause most people not to eat for days afterward. or if she had done acid ( LSD)..............even once of doing these drugs can screw you up in the head for a long time. excessive use....leads to brain damage. i have many friends in that boat. and i used to be one of them.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-25-2006, 03:00 PM   #3
(male)

jeff235 HB User

lsd does not cause brain damage. It can bring on latent cases of schizophrenia- however.

Old 03-29-2006, 11:40 AM   #4
(male)

jimmylongjohn HB User

yeah, It happened to me. I began smoking pot when I was 18. I was away from home, and fell in with a crowd of pot-heads, by the 2nd year, Ifelt very depressed, and went on anti-d's, which made me worse cos I was still smoking. I knew something was up when I couldn't converse with other people, I reached a stage that I couldn't follow a conversation, I lost the plot in books, films, and real-life, couldn't express myself or relate to others. While all this was happening I knew something was wrong but it never stopped me abusing drugs. I knew my life before this episode was a lot better, but it was difficult to quit cos I was living with these guys. I left though and came home, everything was different, and I'd changed big time, for the worse, all the while knowing this, and just waiting for my close friends to realise. Last year I smoked a humungus joint, the next morning when I woke up I couldn't stop talking to myself - i think this was the onset of my schizophrenia. To this day I have auditory hallucinations, where I think in words-talking to myself, I know it's me doing it but what ever pushed the button, still hs'nt released it. I have'nt been my true self for 7 years, and I have a lot of things to figure out. Everyone is different though when it comes to this, and at the end of the day, it will be your sisters decision to knock all this on the head. If she realises she has a problem, then thats good, you can work on that, arrange an appointment for her to see a hypnotherapist. It will be a fun day out, she'll be up for getting hypnotised. I tried that myself, one session was expensive, but for my situation it was all the doc thought was neccessary, it was suggestion therapy, where you lie on a couch and just relax, he plants suggestions in your mind that will help with everyday situations, giving confidence and reducing anxiety. Again alot of effort is needed by the individual. I've abstained completely fom weed and trying to quit alcohol. For 2 months I hadn't a sip of beer, and i noticed the improvement, i know in order to get back to normal, mind altering substances won't help, the line your sister and I crossed, the line that divides recreational and abuse needs to be crossed back over, and this requires turning everything in your life around including yourself and journeying back toward it. I don't have the answers for your sister, but only a broad set of guidelines. I can hardly preach myself but these guidelines are really common sense, and facing them hard on will be vey difficult. I wouldn't pressurize your sister to take any meds, cos if she is drinking alcohol or taking drugs, this will make her situation worse, as it did mine - meds have enough side effects without introducing drugs and alcohol into the equation. Everything will be up to her. Hope this Helps
Thanks

Last edited by jimmylongjohn; 03-29-2006 at 11:46 AM.

Old 04-11-2006, 05:26 PM   #5
(female)

blue712 HB User

i just wanted to say thanks to everyone who responded to this post, you all gave me some good information. Also, my sister is now living with my dad in Arizona, which is good because he will keep a strict watch on her, she is also going to an outpatient program. she is on meds but she is not herself. i visited and found that she still does this thing where she will laugh for no apparent reason and her speech seems very limited. she still also suffers from mild dillusions. its very strange because it is almost as if she feels safe acting strangely around family members, but she is much more normal when she is around others. i dont know how long this will continue, but i hope she will start making some progress.

Closed Thread