It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Schizophrenia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2006, 08:00 AM   #1
(female)

purple4me HB User
Relationships with someone with Schizophrenia

I've been going out with my boyfriend for almost a year and a half. At the beginning of the relationship he didn't tell me he had Schizophrenia, but instead told me he was taking medication to stop a phycosis. As time went on he confided in me and told me that he does actually have Schizophrenia, and his symptons are that he can get angry very easily.

My boyfriend along with taking his medication of zypreca? also takes weed on a daily basis, has done many many E's, cocaine, speed and most recently ice. I don't take drugs and have stayed with him hoping that he will give them up for his own sake and mine.

Three weeks ago, one of his best friends died in a car accident and the distress it caused him made him flip out last week. His actions towards his family and myself were quite agressive with him throwing a table over and breaking a chair. He rang his doctor and must have abused him, his doctor realising there was something wrong with him had the police (squadram) drop by to check on him. Once they arrived he asked them to take him to the mental unit of the local hospital. He stayed in there for four days and is now in a rehab centre for the next four weeks.

I suppose what I wanted to know, from people with Schizophrenia and people viewing this who may be a partner to someone with this condition. Can people with Schizophrenia have long lasting happy relationships with marriage and children?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-13-2006, 03:16 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

SuchGreatHeight HB User
Re: Relationships with someone with Schizophrenia

Many people with Schizophrenia are perfectly capable of maintaining a healthy relationship, and be able to take care of children. But Many people with Schizophrenia can't take such drugs you mentioned. Before you, or him, accuse the Schizophrenia for violent symptoms, he needs to get off the drugs.

I know you want to just wait and see if he stops, but it probably isn't going to happen. And seeing you still with him, waiting for him, isn't going to help him. Him going into the hospital and rehab center can be an amazing turn around. He may get both the drug help and mental help he needs.

So to answer your question, yes a Schizophrenic can have a long and happy relationship with a family if he is functioning properly. And to tell you the truth, a Schizophrenic can be more functioning with family relations than a person on drugs.

SGH

Old 04-14-2006, 04:53 AM   #3
(female)

purple4me HB User
Re: Relationships with someone with Schizophrenia

Thank you for the advise. I spent the day with him today and after being in the acute ward of the mental hospital and for four days and now being in rehab for three days, I am noticing a difference in his mood and behaviour. I know that it is only early days but he is saying that he feels a lot better being off the drugs and only on the medication he needs. At the moment he is also allowed to take up to eight valiums a day spaced out two at a time.

I just really hope that he stays postiive about being off the drugs, but I know that only time will tell and that only he can make that choice.

I know that he would like to marry me and have children one day, but when he meantioned it today I told he that if he gets off the drugs and stops dealing then maybe.

Thank you once again for explaining more about Schizophrenia

Closed Thread