It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Schizophrenia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2006, 06:39 AM   #1
(male)

steveo23 HB User
OCD and psychosis

Hey everyone

This is'nt a schizophrenia related question as such, I was just looking for a bit of understanding on psychosis. I was diagnosed with severe OCD years back, with other mild symptoms (voices, bodily sensations) at the time of initial diagnosis, and was told this was a mild psychotic episode (possibly because of severe depression from the OCD), for which I took Olanzapine for a while. It only lasted a short duration, and I havent had any trouble like that since, except with my OCD unfortunately increasing in severity as Ive got older. I guess its possible that it was a result of OCD, as Ive learnt how powerful that disorder can be over the years, but Ive always been under the impression that psychotic symptoms were related to schizophrenic spectrum disorders, and not anxiety disorders like OCD. Im just a little confused, and have wondered for a while. Could anyone help my understanding on that if they've got the time? I do apologise as this isnt related to schizophrenia as such. Thanks

Steve

Old 05-20-2006, 10:51 AM   #2
(male)

dave_81 HB User
Re: OCD and psychosis

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo23
Hey everyone

This is'nt a schizophrenia related question as such, I was just looking for a bit of understanding on psychosis. I was diagnosed with severe OCD years back, with other mild symptoms (voices, bodily sensations) at the time of initial diagnosis, and was told this was a mild psychotic episode (possibly because of severe depression from the OCD), for which I took Olanzapine for a while. It only lasted a short duration, and I havent had any trouble like that since, except with my OCD unfortunately increasing in severity as Ive got older. I guess its possible that it was a result of OCD, as Ive learnt how powerful that disorder can be over the years, but Ive always been under the impression that psychotic symptoms were related to schizophrenic spectrum disorders, and not anxiety disorders like OCD. Im just a little confused, and have wondered for a while. Could anyone help my understanding on that if they've got the time? I do apologise as this isnt related to schizophrenia as such. Thanks

Steve
Hi Steve,

Psychotic symptoms aren't allows related to schizophrenic spectrum disorders. After all, I hear voices (a psychotic symptom); but don't have a schizophrenic disorder -- I have psychotic depression. I think that the difference between psychosis in schizophrenia and psychosis in other disorders (depresssion, OCD, etc) is basically this -- that schizophrenics (usually) don't realise that their psychotic symptoms aren't real; whereas people with psychotic depresson/OCD (usually) do realise that their psychotic symptoms aren't real. For example, I hear voices; yet I know that they're not real and that I'm ill, etc. On the other hand, someone with schizophrenia would believe that their voices are real and that maybe God is trying to contact him/her, etc.

Hope this helps.

Best,

Dave_81

The Following User Says Thank You to dave_81 For This Useful Post:
Jeffrulesyou (04-23-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-20-2006, 11:17 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

cinemachick HB User

Psychosis with depression/bipolar simply means that because of an intense mood, they see things/hear things, get paranoid, etc. People with schizophrenia may see/hear things but it does not mean that their psychosis was intiated by a mood. It doesn't have anything to do with believing their hallucination/delusions or not.

I don't know if anxiety or OCD can produce psychosis. I can't see why not. I'm sure there have been people with extreme stress (from an anxiety disorder) that have had psychotic moments.

This is a very interesting question, and I think I might do some research on this to help you out.

Old 05-21-2006, 05:09 AM   #4
(male)

steveo23 HB User

Thanks very much Dave and cinemachick for you're replies. I know at the time I was under no illusion that the psychosis was real... in fact as soon as it started thats when I went to get help (scared the hell out of me). But then of course I have heard that Schizophrenics can distinguish their symptoms from reality. I had been feeling so low for so long with OCD that Im pretty sure the psychosis was triggered by mood and intense anxiety. It was bad at first, lasted a few months at the most. It was just never properly explained to me at the time. Schizophrenia had to be ruled out when I was diagnosed as my OCD was so bad, and they made my OCD diagnosis because I knew all my behaviour was irrational and didnt make sense, like you said Dave. Then they tagged on psychosis to the end of it.

Thanks cinemachick, that would be great. All the reading Ive done I cant seem to find anything about anxiety disorders with psychotic symptoms. Ive known people with OCD or GAD to be comorbid with bipolar and psychosis. Im not bipolar though, I just complain a lot. You've both been a great help. Wasnt sure of the reaction I'd get here, I know how annoying (and sometimes insulting) some OCD'ers can get with their irrational fears of being schizophrenic (strange bunch, are'nt we?). Im not one of them, dont worry. I seem to obsess about everything apart from that.

Steve

Old 05-21-2006, 09:40 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

cinemachick HB User

I'm trying to research this, because it's a very interesting topic...and my boyfriend needs a topic for his psychology essay!

There is one interesting study posted on a website. It basically said that researchers tested several groups of mentally ill patients (bipolar, schizophrenia, OCD, etc) and found that patients with OCD heard more musical hallucinations than any other group tested. They didn't say whether these hallucinations were caused by mood, so I am assuming that it may had something to do with their OCD.

I've tried to search psychosis, but it seems as if psychotic symptoms only really show during an intense mood, or schizophrenia is the cause. I hope you can talk to a professional about this, because it seems like an anxious disorder can create psychotic features. I'll try to ask around about this. I have bad anxiety, and that could be causing my psychosis instead of my psychosis causing me anxiety.

I hope someone will be able to answer your question! Good luck!

Old 05-22-2006, 07:08 AM   #6
(male)

steveo23 HB User

Thanks cinemachick

Musical hallucinations... thats interesting. Ive experienced times before (occasionally) when Ive been low and some nameless tune or a song has kept me awake a night. Everyone gets music stuck in their head and you think you are hearing stuff, but on those occasions it was quite different and just plain weird.

I know OCD is a strange illness. Like misfirings and malfunctions in the fear/anxiety centre of the brain (hypothalamus, I think) can confuse fears and thoughts for reality, and thats why so many with OCD end up really BELIEVING things are contaminated, that they would hurt someone, that they have some horrible illness,etc. but they know something doesnt quite add up.

I spoke to my doctor last year about schizotypal OCD (I believed its called), some rarer form of OCD that falls somewhere between anxiety disorders and the schizophrenic spectrum. He said thats more to do though with people being oblivious to the irrational nature of their OCD, and not necessarily to do with pyschotic symptoms. I, on the other hand, know that I am crazy, so I guess I dont have schizotypal OCD.

Yeah, I think a chat with my doc is in order. Guarenteed he'll believe Im having some health anxiety though, haha. Thanks very much for the info on psychosis. Good luck with ya anxiety/psychosis cinema chick.

Cheers again
Steve

Old 05-25-2006, 05:45 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

gxpark1234 HB User

i hear convesations in my head.. or like today i was doing the dishes and my mind was just running with thoughts with nonsense... for example.. a mexican guy just convesating in my head.. its like my own self making these things up.. it scares me but im not sure what i should do.. sometimes its just complete nonsense that runs through my head.. am i schizo or psychotic?? I have severe anxiety/ panic and im not sure if this is whats causing it.. any insight would be grateful.. thank u

Old 05-25-2006, 07:05 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

SuchGreatHeight HB User

gxpark,

From your other post, those particular thoughts sound like it comes from worry/anxiety. However, the voices may be another story. I can not say if it is psychosis, or rather more OCD traits.

Is is an actual voice; or rather your voice thinking? Just random thoughts or an actual conversation in your head?

Talk to your doctor about these questions, he or she may better know what exactly may be going on.

SGH

Old 05-25-2006, 07:17 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

gxpark1234 HB User

my own thoughts making conversations.. like my mind is rambling and its just nonsense.

Old 05-25-2006, 08:22 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

SuchGreatHeight HB User

Then it might indeed be anxiety and obsessive thoughts. Do you have any past or present issues from OCD? Talk to your doctor and ask about this. It sounds troublesome and should be addressed.

SGH

Closed Thread