It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Schizophrenia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2006, 03:31 PM   #1
(male)

Jay333 HB User
I was just diagnosed with schizophrenia

Hello forum,

Mental illness seems to run in my family. I just discovered that the illness can be hereditary. My younger brother is a diagnosed schizophrenic and I have just been diagnosed with it as well. I am 32, and he is 30. Only within my late 20's and into my early 30's did the symptoms start to worsen to the point where I wouldnt leave my home, wouldnt eat, wouldnt bathe myself, wouldnt go to work, stopped picking up the phone or spending time with people. People are what I have a real problem with, I cant seem to be around them but my doctor says that the zyprexa and zoloft would help with that. Lately my psychotic symptoms have worsen to the point where it is all interfering with my thoughts, I cant concentrate like I use to, even to type this is very difficult becasue I keep misspelling words, typing them backwars and leaving words out. I have to go back and correct it. Thse are things that are interfering with my work and it is becoming increasingly dificult to communicate with anyone. I just started taking the zyprexa and so far I like what it does. I like that it relaxes me and takes away some of the thoughts I get and things I see that scare me, like people moving at the same time to the same beat to my music, happens a lot. Or me looking at smeone and seeing there whole life and I get disgusted at them and at myself for seeing it. Anyway, it is nice that this forum is here. I would like ot know if anyone here is experiencing what I jsut descrbied. Take care.

Jay

Last edited by Jay333; 06-24-2006 at 03:32 PM. Reason: I had to correct a word

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-29-2006, 04:41 PM   #2
(male)

jeffster HB User
Re: I was just diagnosed with schizophrenia

Obviously I'm not a doctor, but it might be worth a second opinion. It could never hurt. What you're describing doesn't sound like schizophrenia to me, it could be social anxiety or any other type of anxiety disorder.... I was sure I was schizophrenic when diagnosed with anxiety. Anyway, a second opinion never hurts.

Old 06-30-2006, 10:17 AM   #3
(male)

barney64 HB User

I also have had a difficult time being around people outside my immediate family. I thought I had a social phobia but I was diagnosed with schizoaffective disorder with avoidant personality disorder. APD is similar to social phobia yet different, but don't ask me how. My doctor doesn't put much stock in diagnostic terms he just uses them as a stepping off point for beginning to treat a patient.

Old 07-01-2006, 07:05 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

SuchGreatHeight HB User

The first part of the symptoms dont sound like psychosis, but it can be a part of schizophrenia; cognitive symptoms. About the people and yourself, I think that too is a part of schizoaffective d/o. APD is like social anxiety gone overboard, to the point where you avoid situattions that make you anxious.

SGH

Old 07-16-2006, 02:04 AM   #5
(female)

azureazure HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay333
Hello forum,

Mental illness seems to run in my family. I just discovered that the illness can be hereditary. My younger brother is a diagnosed schizophrenic and I have just been diagnosed with it as well. I am 32, and he is 30. Only within my late 20's and into my early 30's did the symptoms start to worsen to the point where I wouldnt leave my home, wouldnt eat, wouldnt bathe myself, wouldnt go to work, stopped picking up the phone or spending time with people. People are what I have a real problem with, I cant seem to be around them but my doctor says that the zyprexa and zoloft would help with that. Lately my psychotic symptoms have worsen to the point where it is all interfering with my thoughts, I cant concentrate like I use to, even to type this is very difficult becasue I keep misspelling words, typing them backwars and leaving words out. I have to go back and correct it. Thse are things that are interfering with my work and it is becoming increasingly dificult to communicate with anyone. I just started taking the zyprexa and so far I like what it does. I like that it relaxes me and takes away some of the thoughts I get and things I see that scare me, like people moving at the same time to the same beat to my music, happens a lot. Or me looking at smeone and seeing there whole life and I get disgusted at them and at myself for seeing it. Anyway, it is nice that this forum is here. I would like ot know if anyone here is experiencing what I jsut descrbied. Take care.

Jay
i was diagnosed with paranoia schizophrenia with my first shrink when i was 14. now i am 24. i have been taking meds regularly for 2 years. my life ruined. and i have just stopped taking meds since a month ago. i feel much better now. just like you the way i am going through is real hard. but my new shrink said that i was misdiagnosed, hope you'll get better soon and just hold on coz it won't be that way forever. we can share our experience if you want. my site: azuresjourney.blogdrive.com

Closed Thread