It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Schizophrenia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2006, 11:37 AM   #1
(female)

CatherineGrace HB User
Question what should i expect from my medications?

hello everybody,

this is my first post here. i'm diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia.

my pdoc has me taking 45 mg of abilify and 200 mg of seroquel daily. i also am taking cymbalta, propranolol, and klonopin daily. the seroquel is a new prescription for me and i realize the dose is very low.

i'm still hearing voices, having troubles with keeping my thoughts from other people, and am seeing and hearing messsages with special meaning just for myself.

what i am wondering is this: can i expect the medications to eventually get rid of the voices completely or will i be living with them all of my life?

do your medications work well for you?

i keep wondering if the seroquel, once the dose is raised higher, might do away with some of my breakthrough symptoms.

my pdoc is keeping me on the abilify because it has done a world of good toward clearing my thoughts, it has taken away a significant amount of the voices, and i'm doing fairly well on the medication.

do you have any advice, personal experiences, or information that might help me out? i'd appreciate it very much.

i plan to work with my pdoc to increase the seroquel dosage and see what happens. the abilify, though it works well, can't go any higher.

i'm rather desperate to be rid of the voices.

thank you for reading,
catherinegrace

Old 09-03-2006, 08:17 PM   #2
(male)

cranberryjuice HB User
Re: what should i expect from my medications?

Catherine,

I probably had one of the most severe case of voices that you could have....
and i'm doing fine...

when i started listening to them, they got so bad, i listened until my ears didn't hear as well....

Be glad you've got something going on that is helping you...
I didn't take anything for mine and ended up in hospitals all the time.
Eventually, i realized i needed the pills.

What's important about voices is that you don't follow them around and let them guide you into doing stupid things. Like mine use to get me to steal or things like that.

With medication, though, i can tell the difference in what's truth and what's not...

but to answer your question better: "The voices should fade... i hear about 70 percent or more less than what i heard before the medicine." Only at night when i'm trying to sleep do i hear them really and eventually they fade away and i rest, but that's a good figure for me because i was listening 24/7 to them. I used to sit in one location for hours just listening and listening. I don't really
think you have what i had though... and yours should get much better.
mine gets better all the time...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-04-2006, 07:24 PM   #3
(female)

CatherineGrace HB User

hi cranberryjuice,

thank you for the reply! it is reassuring to know that you are doing so well, that medication is helping you, and that things are improving over time, too.

before i started taking abilify (about a year ago) i too would sit and listen to my voices for hours on end. mine never commanded me to steal anything, but one of the worst things they did was to order me to run into traffic (i got hit by a car and ended up with, thankfully, minor injuries (including a broken arm and broken teeth)). i started hearing voices when i was about 12 years of age (i'm 32 now), but didn't realize until about three years ago that they were not a normal thing and that everybody doesn't have voices. i have several hospitalizations under my belt as well.

it took me a long time to come around to taking medication regularly. i didn't trust that it was safe to take medication.

i forget sometimes how awful things were before medication for me. thank you for reminding me that i have so much to be thankful for! abilify really has been a wonder drug for me.

perhaps i expect too much of it when i hope that the voices and other symptoms will go away completely. maybe a better target is to make things more tolerable.

so far i am not noticing anything different on the seroquel. it doesn't even make me sleepy. but i do have high hopes that it will help with the breakthrough symptoms that the abilify isn't taking care of for me.

i'm sorry this is getting so long!

thank you, once again, for your response. and thank you for the advice about handling the voices.

catherinegrace

Old 09-04-2006, 09:12 PM   #4
(male)

cranberryjuice HB User

Wow, it sounds like you've had some rough times too.....

I'm so glad you're alive!!!!

I hope everything goes your way and you get completely well!!

your friend,

Cranberry Juice

Closed Thread