It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Schizophrenia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2007, 11:55 PM   #1
(female)

frankiefloris HB User
Smile drug induced psychosis or schizophrenia?

Hi I'm new to this so please excuse me if this has already been said..
I'll try to keep this short.

I am 26. In my late teens I had my first psychotic episode. Hallucinations, dellusions, hearing voices etc. I was using drugs at the time. I never went to see the doctor. I haven't taken drugs since but I still have dellusions and hallucinations. I feel like I'm in a dream all the time and like I have mental block. I can never find the right words like now as I am writing this.
My care worker thinks it is drug induced psychosis but my psychiatrist says I've got a paranoid illness. Do you think a drug induced psychosis can go on for 8 years after stopping drugs? I've also been diagnosed with clinical depression and anxiety disorder. There is no history in my family of mental illness and I have learned to function in daily life like keep a job, but I do get really paranoid and I can't see properly ( went to the opticians to check my eye sight but there is nothing wrong with my eyes )
What does anyone think about it?
Does anyone know what paranoid illness is? Is it paranoid schizophrenia. I'm very confused with it all. He has put me on abilfy but the side effects are awful so I've stopped taking it.

Any replies would be grately appreciated or it would be good to know anyone else's experiences.
Thanks.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: frankiefloris
janhammond (12-31-2010), karenloves (04-21-2011)
Old 01-19-2007, 04:10 PM   #2
(male)

ozzmo HB User
Re: drug induced psychosis or schizophrenia?

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankiefloris View Post

I am 26. In my late teens I had my first psychotic episode. Hallucinations, dellusions, hearing voices etc. I was using drugs at the time. I never went to see the doctor. I haven't taken drugs since but I still have dellusions and hallucinations. I feel like I'm in a dream all the time and like I have mental block. I can never find the right words like now as I am writing this.
My care worker thinks it is drug induced psychosis but my psychiatrist says I've got a paranoid illness. Do you think a drug induced psychosis can go on for 8 years after stopping drugs? I've also been diagnosed with clinical depression and anxiety disorder. There is no history in my family of mental illness and I have learned to function in daily life like keep a job, but I do get really paranoid and I can't see properly ( went to the opticians to check my eye sight but there is nothing wrong with my eyes )
Does anyone know what paranoid illness is? Is it paranoid schizophrenia. I'm very confused with it all. He has put me on abilfy but the side effects are awful so I've stopped taking it.

Any replies would be grately appreciated or it would be good to know anyone else's experiences.
Thanks.

Well to shed light on the topic 40% of the nation are in actual fact delusional . But to what extenct someone thinking that someone is love them can be quite harmless. but then someone who thinks a sniper is following them around may cause that person to behave in away out of social context.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-21-2007, 10:24 AM   #3
(female)

frankiefloris HB User

Well the sort of dilusions i have are about people conspiring against me, cameras everywhere, people talking in codes and people in disguise. i am seeing a psychiatrist at the moment and he seems to think it is paranoid schizophrenia. he has prescribed me anti psychotics. i am just wondering if anyone has had psychosis from taking drugs and how long it took to recover as my support worker thinks it might be lasting effects from drugs and not schizophrenia. has anyone had psychosis from taking drugs and recovered completely or do the symptoms last for years?

Old 02-07-2007, 11:15 AM   #4
(male)

digital HB User

Hi,

shortly before being sectioned when i was 17 i experienced hallucinations and delusions similar to the ones you were talking about ,thinking camera's are watching you,people talking in codes etc .I was diagnosed paraniod sz .i was told that my drug use exasipated the illness i was diagnosed with.This was 12 years ago ,since then i have been on a number of antipsychotics and i'm currently on Abilify,i still experience some delusional thinking !!

Last edited by digital; 02-07-2007 at 01:15 PM.

Old 02-08-2007, 09:08 AM   #5
(female)

frankiefloris HB User

Hi Digital, thanks for the reply. How are things? Are you getting on with abilfy? I've changed to olanzapine now. The side effects are much better. I just feel tired a lot. How do you find abilify? Does anyone in your family have mental illness?

Old 02-08-2007, 10:55 AM   #6
(male)

digital HB User

Hi

Yeah things are good!!,i feel a lot more alert on Abilify ,sometimes the restlesness can be too much but i take procyclidine to counter that and i experience some hallucinations more than i would if i was on likes of seroquel or respidal ,but i can live with it . There was an instance of mental illness in my family!!. .How do you find olanzapine ,i have been reading a lot about that drug in the media have you had any problems with it?

Digital

Last edited by digital; 02-08-2007 at 11:00 AM.

Old 02-10-2007, 07:46 AM   #7
(female)

frankiefloris HB User

Glad you're feeling better. I've found olanzapine ok except I'm really tired all the time. I'm lucky if I can stay up after 9 o clock!! It's still early days with it so I am still quite paranoid but we'll see how it goes. What have you heard about it in the media then?

Old 02-10-2007, 09:24 AM   #8
(male)

digital HB User

Hi ,

I read than Zyprexa can cause weight gain and diabetes, the company who produced the drug have a few lawsuits againt them!.Sorry to hear about the paranioa,do you experience voices?,i experience what can only be describesd as a running commentary of my actions,i know not all people with sz do.When i was on seroquel i was tired all the time and had trouble staying up!!

Digital

Last edited by digital; 02-10-2007 at 10:05 AM.

Old 02-13-2007, 05:34 PM   #9
(female)

tracyt666 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankiefloris View Post

Thanks.
hi,my boyfriend was sectioned two years ago with as they say drug related phycosis,since then my life has been turned upside down and can see no way out,he has only seen doctor once,he never went to last appointment and they havent heard from them since,we have a son toghether and i would like to help him but he says there is nothing wrong with him,how can you try and help someone when they think they are fine,he hasent seen doctor in over a year and not sure also if its schizophrenia or phycosis or what the difference between them and can it go away.can you help!!!

Old 02-15-2007, 10:50 AM   #10
(female)

frankiefloris HB User

Digital,
I don't hear voices any more. I used to hear a running commentary too! My psychosis isn't nearly as bad as it used to be when it all first started. Iwas taking a lot of drugs at the time. I still feel like I'm being watched all the time on cameras and people are saying 'look that's her!' under their breath in the street but I try to ignore it.

Old 02-15-2007, 11:02 AM   #11
(female)

frankiefloris HB User

tracy .
I can understand what you're going through. I have a little boy myself. I think from what I read that psychosis is just another work for schizophrenia. They just don't like to call it that any more. Symptoms must be apparent afor t least 6 months without drug use. So it depends if your boyfriend is still using drugs whether it is classed as shcizophrnia or not. Don't quote me on that though, it's just the conclusion I've come to after reading lots of different stuff on the internet. It is really hard to help someone. I only realised there was something wrong with me a couple of months ago. I've suffered with paranoia for years without treatment! I started looking things up on the internet and found there were people believing the same things as me and that it was an illness so that's when I got help. I would suggest doing a similar thing with your boyfriend. Just get as much written info on it as you can and show it to him. Most people have similar dellusions like that they are being watched or hear voices so he probably has the same symptoms as a lot of people on here. Let him know that it is more common than he probably thinks and that there is help. Most people make a full recovery. Hope you find this helpful. Good luck. X

Old 02-19-2007, 02:50 PM   #12
(male)

ChinaDragon HB User

I was diagnosed as having a drug induced psychosis just over 11 1/2 years ago when I was 19. I had been a lot of drugs and then became very paranoid. I felt persecuted and as if I was being watched all the time. I wanted to know what was wrong with me so arranged to see a psychiatrist. I was told that I was in drug induced psychosis and could take some time to recover and was prescibed medication. The medication helped my symtoms, though I still felt very low and life was a real struggle. Over the following years I made a attempts to live with out the medication, though each time relapsed. Around 7 years after I was first diagnosed as being ill, after an attempt to cope without the medication, I was diganosed as schizophrenic. The psychiatirst said that as I had not recovered after that time I was the 1 in a 100 that suffers from a long term serious mental illness, in my case schizophrenia. That seems to be the stance of the medical establishment, though I find it quite unhelpful that they dont help you deal with the initial effect of the drugs and just set a time you should recover by. I have now been taking Olanzapine for a number of years and gradually feel more like I did before I became paranoid. That is a good feeling as I thought I never would again. I do not have many side effects with the drug and feel it is right for me. I know that my life is improved by the treatment and getting the help I have was the right thing to do. I understand the feelings of not wanting to and wanting to cope on my own, though looking back I know I am far better off now than without the meds.

Old 02-22-2007, 10:15 AM   #13
(female)

HelpingRobin HB User

Hi Frankie,

I think the best news about your diagnosis is that you seem to KNOW you have a problem. My boyfriend also has drug induced SZ, but he tells me that he feels perfectly sane. Unfortunately he clearly is not sane. I believe that in the UK (as well as in other countries such as Japan) there is a movement away from the "schizphrenia" diagnosis, because it's thought to be too general and carry too much stigma. I believe that your paranoia diagnosis would probably have been called paranoic schizophrenia 10 years ago. If you read up on it you'll see that no one knows what causes SZ... some mixture of genetics, perhaps fetal infection, drug use, emotional trauma... the list goes on and on. In fact, a study on pregnant women who found out that their husbands had died in war showed that their babies had higher levels of schizophrenia. It seems like you were probably susceptible to SZ for one reason or another, and the drugs triggered it and now it's something you'll have to live with. It seems as if cognitive behavioral therapy has been gaining a lot of mometum as a treatment. Perhaps you could tolerate Abilify in a smaller dose? Also, there are a few suplements that supposedly help-- omega 3 fatty acides, for one. Do a search on SZ and supplements.

Other than that I don't know what to tell you. I hope that you can beat this (A LOT OF PEOPLE DO). Please keep us posted.

Old 02-22-2007, 03:12 PM   #14
(female)

wendizzle22 HB User

As no history of illness was found in your family, that could be an indication that your problem is drug related. However, it might also mean that someone had an unreported problem. Whichever reason, drugs probably triggered it, but its great that you realise it should be treated.

Some of these delusions ring a bell for me. When I was 13 I thought about cameras watching me, and thought that there was a secret TV channel everyone could see me on, and it was a big joke. When I saw the truman show years later i was amazed..and a bit scared! I never got help and I've not been like that since but with all these drug psychosis stories it definitely makes me think I should avoid drugs just in case!

Old 02-24-2007, 11:11 AM   #15
(female)

frankiefloris HB User

Thanks for getting back to me guys. It's been really helpful. I was only on the lowest dose of abilify and it was awful. I went onto olanzipine which seems to be ok except for being really tired first thing in the morning. I changed a few days ago to risperidone which was awful too. I felt all full of cold and really out of it (crashed the car twice in 1 day!) so i swapped over to olanzipine again 2 nights ago. I feel better for it already! How are things with your boyfriend? Have you managed to get him to read anything about it? By the way I'm not always convinced it is an illness. I sometimes think I believe it because it is easier to believe that than the truth that people are watching me and stuff. Does that make any sense?! I go round in circles with it. I never find any evidence to support it either way. Just a gut instinct which sways all the time. I would definitely advise you to stay off the drugs though. It's just not worth it. Stick to alcohol.

Closed Thread