It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Schizophrenia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2007, 09:48 PM   #1
(male)

Jasano32 HB User
Post Schizophrenia vs. LSD

I'm researching schizophrenia for a rather large project, and I keep coming across comparisons between schizophrenic experiences and experiences with drugs--specifically, LSD.

I'm interested to know if there is any justification of these analogies; specifically with LSD, or in a more general sense.

Any information you could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Old 02-22-2007, 03:02 PM   #2
(female)

wendizzle22 HB User
Re: Schizophrenia vs. LSD

Hiya, is the project more psychological or scientific? Sounds like something I'd like to do!
I could blather on about neurons, signalling and receptors but that might not be what you want...presuming its more general I'll avoid that!

LSD is thought to cause interference with particular pathways in the brain as it does indeed cause many effects which are similar and sometimes identical to those experienced by a schizophrenic. Therefore, it's possible that these same pathways are implicated in schizophrenia.

Effects include - size distortions (feeling abnormally large/small, and other objects looking big/small), auditory hallucinations which can be a sound or voice, paranoia, confusion, feeling detached from reality, visual disturbances such as a fuzz over everything and colour distortions, feeling like there is a presence in the room when alone....many other things. As with schizophrenia, LSD hallucinations are extremely variable.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-28-2007, 07:46 AM   #3
(male)

ozzmo HB User
Re: Schizophrenia vs. LSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasano32 View Post
I'm researching schizophrenia for a rather large project, and I keep coming across comparisons between schizophrenic experiences and experiences with drugs--specifically, LSD.

I'm interested to know if there is any justification of these analogies; specifically with LSD, or in a more general sense.

Any information you could offer would be greatly appreciated.
every schizophrenic expereince is most probably gona be different, i would say theirs no real connection between lsd and schizophrenia apart from the hallucinations, and visual affects, i mean personaly a schizophrenic hallucination is like seeing a person or an object for a short period of time or hearing the odd voice, a drug trip i never did try lsd but i did engage in mushroom use is much different in a mushroom trip, u basicly see lost of visual disortion objects move about everywere and its easy to introspect and say hey im obviousley intoxxicated on somehtink im on drugs, with schizophrenia unless the indiviual is in an accute stage of their psycosis ur not gona realy tell them apart from any one else. but its uauly obviouse to see if someone is on say lsd, they tend to dance in funny ways, they find it very difficult to communicate, they seem totaly ****ed, sometimes they cant move , they appear overwhelmed, but many schizophrenics can lead active and pro active lifes, i suppose they learn toliarnce other a while to their syptoms and carry on from their, LSD also tends to increase seriotin transmissions while in schizophrenia serioitin levels tend to be noticbley low meaning a schizophrenic individual will tend to be simpley or depressed and anxiouse.

Closed Thread