It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Schizophrenia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2007, 02:23 AM   #1
(female)

char12 HB User
The wonderful world of med students

After being on a psychiatric ward for 9 days I have finally come to realise whilst the people in here are incredibly messed up and essentially absolute fruitloops its not the patients I should be concerned about. Its the staff but more prominently the med students.

The staff choose to spend the vast majority of their days with people who have mental health issues; people who want to kill themselves, people who hear voices in their heads and people who see things that don’t actually exist. Their occupation revolves around people who have incredibly skewed realities. What does this say about them? They may claim that it is rewarding to help these people. But how many of these people are helped when the majority of mental illnesses are incurable. Sure you can ease the symptoms but at the end of the day these people are just plain crazy. Also what so they mean by helping people? Misdiagnoses occur regularly. Do they indulge in labelling innocent people with disorders that can destroy their relationships with other people, their jobs and ultimately their life? Do they really think they are helping by prescribing ridiculous medications which often leave the patient worse off than they initially were? I was really upset one particular night on the ward. I couldn’t stop crying. I think all I needed was a hug. A chat at the most. But instead they fed me with larazapam; a medication designed to ease my anxiety, or if not send me off to sleep, so I can avoid reality, avoid my problems.

The staff have chosen their career path. Teachers often tell you its easy to change your career path but its not. Once your stuck in something, you’re pretty much set up for life, unless you’re going to be one of those ridiculous mature age students, that are still clinging on to university life. I mean really what are they thinking. I won’t lie I think they’re great for the average university student, they are incredibly motivating in group work and their life experience is priceless but really what are they thinking. So if staff are constrained by their career choice what on earth are med students thinking? OK, maybe thats a little bit too general, the med students majoring in psychiatry are the strange ones you have to look out for. They actually choose to spend their time on psychiatric wards, unpaid, doing so called “prac work”. Why? Do they thoroughly enjoy other peoples misery? Or is it some kind of sick twisted fantasy? My preferred theory is that it makes them feel really great about themselves. They feel superior. They feel that they can warp the patients mind, and lead fantastic lives. The strange thing about this whole process is they have the chance to change. They could change their degree. Study something different. Escape from this confining career path of weird and wonderful versions of reality. But no, this is what they choose. The wicked world of psyciatric medical students.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-08-2007, 06:01 PM   #2
(female)

lisa5846 HB User
Re: The wonderful world of med students

Yea I can see what you are saying. I was told I have schizoaffective bipolar. I had a miscarriage and went into a deep state of depression. Went to my family phsician and she gives me lexapro and recomends i need to go to psychiatrists. So Then my whole life changes. I see him and he puts me on risperdal. That really messed me up. went from one to another anti pshchotic and anti depressants for about for months had to leave my job and go on disability. then within six months everything was fine. Then I got pregnant again the whole pregnancy was great then after she was born i went back into a deep state of deprssion and along with thinkings of someone was going to harm me. this happened the first time too. I was then highly medicated like a zombie. Both times I slowly reduced meds and both times everything went away. I believe I was wrongly diagnosed. I believe I had Psychotic postpartum depression. And through all the doctors i have seen no one put two and two together. Now I have multiple problems from being on so many medications. I have been fine for a year and a half. I dont know if these meds can make people think a little strange or what but since i have been off meds been doing alot better. So i am getting ready to get all my medical records and try to put all this together. See if something can be done about this. But yea when you said that they gave you that medicine for the continuos crying that is exactly what i had. Basically they try to cover up zombiefy people so they basically can live no life at all, been through it for a while now. Hope things go good for you and sorry so long.
Lisa

Closed Thread