It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Schizophrenia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2007, 03:58 PM   #1
(male)

truxton999 HB User
Unhappy Risperidone = brain death

I have been on Risperdal now for 1 year for my Sz negative symptoms and have noticed about a week ago that the wheels in my brain that was constantly moving have stopped, it;s like a vege state of mind has occurred!?
i feel burned out, am trying to recover but my communication levels have dropped and am feeling depressed.I will see my shrink in a month and maybe get on abilify, before i was very active in speech but its like everything has died.Have difficulty in recalling and maintaining communication, dont feel like talking to anyone because the expansion of my personality has apparently shrunk, maybe a neuro-cognitive stimulant is what i need, would appreciate any feedback from anyone. thanks..BTW prior to this happening i was on Piracetam 3 times a day 1 tablet and Somazina 1000mg once a day which are nootropics.The irony!!!am now on Gingko Biloba to try and recover or maybe it was that cheap **** coffee i bought for 2 euros1 month of that who knows?!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-12-2007, 11:10 AM   #2
(male)

Waffles93 HB User
Re: Risperidone = brain death

I am also prscribed Risperidone, and although my experience hasn't been as negative as yours, I find that the medication dissolves aspects of my person. I don't feel as creative and feel as if the drug is merely helping me to survive life, somewhat devoid of the "false" images I encounter.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-01-2008, 12:18 PM   #3
(male)

day12 HB User

I've been on Abilify for about 8 months and am thinking of switching to Risperdal. Abilify works well and is very stabilizing and the only side effect I experienced was sleepyness for the first few weeks. It costs too much though which is why I'm switching otherwise Abilify is great.

Old 01-29-2008, 08:07 PM   #4
(male)

area24 HB User
Smile Re: Risperidone = brain death

Risperidone was devastating to me for the short time I was taking it.
I felt like death. "Just give it more time" was what I got from my p-doc.
I let him proscribe Geodon which was worse than death.
Abilify and Seroquel were much better. As a result my major
symptoms fell away but I was not going to sit back and wait
for them to return.

I am not a doctor but I have seen research that anti-psychs can
play havoc with hormones in addition to the harm resulting from
schizophrenia. Check your hormones specifically cortisol and
adrenal hormones.

I had mine checked and the results were very
revealing. I had viruses, infections, in addition to very low readings
from the adrenal hormones. I am getting treatment, not from a
p-doc, but from a very experienced clinical nutritionist. IMO and in
the opinion of others scz is caused by stress and also physical insults
that remain UNTREATED which in turn affect the ability to handle stress.
The results can be malabsorbtion and hormonal chaos in men as well as women.
The downward spiral equals something called scz.

The idea is to treat causes not symptoms. You can never
treat a systemic illness by treating it solely as a mental illness.

Old 01-30-2008, 05:46 PM   #5
(female)

vjm HB User

My son was on Risperidone for about a year and although it stabilized his mood and gave him reason to live again, he complained that he couldn't think properly. He was on a depot injection and oral medication. About a year ago he was prescribed Abilify (Aripiprazole) and although it took some time, he gradually became better. He's now back at work and coping well with the everyday demands that life places upon him. He has been on numerous medications but as far as I'm concerned, this is the right one for him. Sometimes, it's just a matter of trial and error - some previous medications had made him anxious, tired, aggressive or a combination of these.

Looking back, I now realise that he had to come to terms with his illness. (Once stable enough to understand that there was a problem) Unfortunately, there's no quick fix, I was naive enough to think that each change of medication would bring about a rapid change in him, back to the person I knew before this illness struck - I now know better. However, he's living proof that with the correct medication, there is hope!

Old 02-12-2008, 01:36 AM   #6
(female)

strangethoughts HB User
Question Re: Risperidone = brain death

I have also noticed a difference in the way my brain works since taking risperidone. I felt as though my personality disappeared and that i was only a shadow of my former self. I have been taking it for about four years and the symptons did reduce when my dose was lowered, i still feel however that i am a different person. I thought that feeling might be a symptom of my schizophrenia (it seemed quite paranoid) reading about your experiences leads me to believe that there may be more to it than that. I'm not sure what i could do about it as i'm a bit scared to change or come off medication and after all this time i feel i have settled into the new me and feel comfortable with who i am, any advice would be welcome thanks.

Old 02-12-2008, 06:20 PM   #7
(male)

8800GTS HB User

I was on risperdal (Risperidone) for about 7 - 8 months... At first, it made me tired! WAY too tired to function at a job... Atleast for awhile. I was put up to a dose of 2.5mg at the end of about 3 months testing dosages... Thats the highest it got... THANK GOD!

This medication, Risperdal (Risperidone) messed me up royally... Now first, before anyone takes my words into complete consideration; and applies it to their personal medicinial tastes, I want to say that everyone has different responses to all medications. I am a short, light weight... I am very sensitive to low doses of any meds... So please do not compare my reactions to yours or anyone else's.

Anyways, I couldn't think straight, I slept upwards of 12 hours a day... I found it hard to listen in on conversations, and keeping up with stories... I had worsened anxiety while driving vehicles... I HATE driving while on meds, doesn't work too well for me... And Risperdal was by FAR the worst... I would get constant nightmares, wake up from cold sweats in bed... I couldn't concentrate on books, and gained 25 - 30 pounds in 6 months... I still have stretch marks on my skin...

So far, in a year and 3 months, I've been on Risperdal, Effexor XR, Zoloft, and now I'm on Seroquel (Quetiapine)... I can't believe how much better Seroquel (Quetiapine) is for me... Just recently released was Seroquel XR. (Quetiapine fumarate) It is exactly the same as Seroquel, however its Extended Release, and it works better at minimizing side effects. Especially becoming sleepy... I have NO sleepyness after taking seroquel XR. I have NONE of the side effects that I had with Risperdal (That I mentioned above)...

Seroquel is a magic med for me, risperdal wasn't...

Old 02-27-2008, 01:09 PM   #8
(male)

2BNormal HB User

Within the last 2 weeks, I finally helped my son's doctor try a new med called Invega. In the short time, he has started to talk-communicate outside his circle of comfort which is immediate family members in 5 yrs! He has been on risperdol for the last five years, actually Constra the injection for regularity and the oral for extra boost when needed.

We tried every med on the market, nutrients, vitamins, you name it, but they eventually fail. Back to meds... So after the first 5 years of struggles with the old and new meds, we stayed the course with risperdal because it kept him from jail and other issues that come along with this illness and this seemed to work. He had all the symtoms each of had while on risperdol and more, not to mention side effects.

Its been a total of 10 yrs since we first started to see what meds worked without serious side effects, now with recent TD symtoms, which also convinced his Dr to change, and for the first time in 10 yrs, we are noticing a person coming back. No more drome like symtoms, lost of memory, unable to complete full sentences with out long pauses, or drifting while talking.

Its early to tell since its only been a 2 weeks, but i have hope.

Old 02-28-2008, 10:13 PM   #9
(male)

Osker56 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjm View Post
My son was on Risperidone for about a year and although it stabilized his mood and gave him reason to live again, he complained that he couldn't think properly. He was on a depot injection and oral medication. About a year ago he was prescribed Abilify (Aripiprazole) and although it took some time, he gradually became better. He's now back at work and coping well with the everyday demands that life places upon him. He has been on numerous medications but as far as I'm concerned, this is the right one for him. Sometimes, it's just a matter of trial and error - some previous medications had made him anxious, tired, aggressive or a combination of these.

Looking back, I now realise that he had to come to terms with his illness. (Once stable enough to understand that there was a problem) Unfortunately, there's no quick fix, I was naive enough to think that each change of medication would bring about a rapid change in him, back to the person I knew before this illness struck - I now know better. However, he's living proof that with the correct medication, there is hope!
Dear VJM:

We're none of us, perfect, and neither are the drugs, but a little ground regained is indeed ground for hope - my fiance is on IMI Respiridol and although she's going through the "sleepy" stage - she's having better days overall. I'm a "veteran survivor" of another chronic condition for the last 32 years - and originally they pumped me full of some terrible drugs that were real mind benders. But the later versions were far better in terms of side effects and much more effective. It's always a slow journey, and we never get the person they originally were back. But sticking with them anyway, is what life's all about?
Regards, Osker56 :-)

Old 03-13-2008, 06:25 PM   #10
(female)

brokensynapse HB User

Risperadone did the same to me, actually I couldn't talk for about a year just drool. Everyone around me thought it was the illness, and didn't even think it was a med, until I quit taking them. I was totally numb and depressed but they kept givning me more pills to take the side efects away. Abilify made me more crazy but it works for my sister so who knows. I'm on invega, and seroquel, one doesn't work alone. Good luck finding that right one

Old 05-28-2008, 08:05 PM   #11
(female)

Gia029 HB User

I've been on Risperdal for 3 years along with paxil. Both of which have caused me to gain 100lbs. So now I'm a bit depressed about that. I don't really think it caused me to stop talking as much as I used to but I was always a reserved, antisocial person for the most part. The two drugs have helped me in a big way. The two things I have noticed tho is I can sleep all day and all night if I want to. I only do this out of boredom not because I am depressed. My motivation is kind of low too,

Old 05-30-2008, 11:41 PM   #12
(male)

updownman HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokensynapse View Post
Risperadone did the same to me, actually I couldn't talk for about a year just drool. Everyone around me thought it was the illness, and didn't even think it was a med, until I quit taking them. I was totally numb and depressed but they kept givning me more pills to take the side efects away. Abilify made me more crazy but it works for my sister so who knows. I'm on invega, and seroquel, one doesn't work alone. Good luck finding that right one

Some doctors don't have a clue and just keep pushing some drugs that don't work or they get the dose all wrong. It sounds like your dose could have been way too high.

Last edited by updownman; 05-30-2008 at 11:43 PM.

Old 07-12-2008, 03:38 PM   #13
(female)

wanderlust77 HB User

I think Waffles93 describes the risperdal experience very well. That said, I'm wondering if anyone can comment on whether or not weight gained while on risperdal (in my case, 20 pounds) comes off relatively easily and quickly once a person stops taking it. My psychiatrist has assured me of this, but I'd like get confirmation from people who've actually had to deal with the weight gain.

Old 07-18-2008, 04:44 PM   #14
(female)

thesagacontinue HB User

My boyfriend takes the resperidol and he gained about 30 lbs. He's lost most of it by exercising, so i guess it comes back off easily? Or it did for him anyway.

But like Gia said, he could could sleep all day and all night. And it's because he's bored. He's always bored and not very talkitive and just...blah.

Old 07-18-2008, 11:43 PM   #15
(male)

mrgoodbarx HB User

I too am on this medication, and it nullifies the brain. While the other side effects are not to bad, It is difficult to want to talk, and my brain function seems only a fraction of what it once was. I haven't gained any weight with it.

Last edited by mrgoodbarx; 07-18-2008 at 11:57 PM.

Closed Thread