It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Schizophrenia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2007, 08:14 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

soulster HB User
Niacin for schizophrenia?

I have read a bit on this vitamin-- also called vitamin b3 I think-- and there is a lot of evidence supporting its use in the treatment of schizophrenia? Anyone have any experience with it?

Old 01-22-2008, 03:09 PM   #2
(female)

mll8008 HB User
Re: Niacin for schizophrenia?

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulster View Post
I have read a bit on this vitamin-- also called vitamin b3 I think-- and there is a lot of evidence supporting its use in the treatment of schizophrenia? Anyone have any experience with it?
I am the mother with a son with schizophrenia. I have read this too, that niacin absolutely clears up schizophrenia. In the USA, doctors in the AMA do not practice vitamin therapy or alternative treatments to diseases....as you know. The article I read said that after flour manufacturer's fortified flour with niacin, mental health hospital check ins declined significantly. If niacin was taken out of our diets, we would all go insane.
I recall it saying that niacin was to be given in large doses and that can be serious. You can not take too much of one thing and remain in the safe zone. It would need to be under a doctor's care. I would like to look into this for my son further. He is on his way to a group home after a 2.5 month stay in the hospital. He quit responding to his meds.
God bless.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-27-2008, 02:26 AM   #3
(male)

area24 HB User
Thumbs up Re: Niacin for schizophrenia?

It is used by Orthomolecular physicians to treat schizophrenia.
However, the claims by these physicians ARE overdone. At the
same time traditional Psychiatrists dismiss Orthomolecular
medicine to quickly. IMO, it is strictly hit or miss and it all depends
on the reaction of the individual patient and the skill of the
physician. It certainly involves MUCH more than taking massive
amounts of niacin.

Old 05-23-2008, 11:34 PM   #4
(male)

carlrose HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mll8008 View Post
I am the mother with a son with schizophrenia. I have read this too, that niacin absolutely clears up schizophrenia. In the USA, doctors in the AMA do not practice vitamin therapy or alternative treatments to diseases....as you know. The article I read said that after flour manufacturer's fortified flour with niacin, mental health hospital check ins declined significantly. If niacin was taken out of our diets, we would all go insane.
I recall it saying that niacin was to be given in large doses and that can be serious. You can not take too much of one thing and remain in the safe zone. It would need to be under a doctor's care. I would like to look into this for my son further. He is on his way to a group home after a 2.5 month stay in the hospital. He quit responding to his meds.
God bless.
I have to disagree that taking large doses of niacin can be harmful. Hoffer tested this and found it would take about a half-pound to be toxic. One of his patients even took 60 grams in one day and supposedly that cleared up her symptoms instantly. I have taken 30 grams in one dose and experience no side effects. Niacin is extremely safe and the recommended doses are usually extremely below toxicity level.

Old 06-11-2008, 06:38 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Trixibel HB User

My husband takes niacin for his cholesterol. It makes you flush but this is a safe side effect and not harmful and is only affecting the peripheral circulation. I have taken it too and found it calmed me down so it's also useful for anxiety and in a book I've got called 'Mental and Elemental Nutrition' it states that it can be useful for SOME symptoms of schizophrenia such as 'paranoia, hallucinations and other disperceptions'. I'm just off to take some now.

Closed Thread