It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Schizophrenia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2008, 10:00 AM   #1
(female)

Litiamae HB User
schizo-effective

I have a friend who's boyfriend has been diagnosed with drug enduced schizo-effective disorder. They are moving in together and have been talking permanance with their relationship. We are trying to find information about this disease but so far all that we can find are people and their experiences or unqualified opinions and not many facts. First what is the difference between schizo-effective and schizophrenia? Two if it's due to drug use and not hereditary, is there any reason to worry about any of their children having it? Do they test DNA? Can children be tested in the womb within the aborting time? Three, he takes several medications to help control it but side effects pretty much kill any chance of him being able to release durning sex... what can he do for that besides stop taking his meds?

Old 03-20-2008, 10:19 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User
Re: schizo-effective

are you spelling it correctly when you search? it's not Effective....it's Affective..... try that spelling and you may find more info.....
Are you sure your friend is doing the right thing by moving in with this guy?
They shouldn't even be thinking about children if this guy has a drug problem which caused a mental health issue......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litiamae View Post
I have a friend who's boyfriend has been diagnosed with drug enduced schizo-effective disorder. They are moving in together and have been talking permanance with their relationship. We are trying to find information about this disease but so far all that we can find are people and their experiences or unqualified opinions and not many facts. First what is the difference between schizo-effective and schizophrenia? Two if it's due to drug use and not hereditary, is there any reason to worry about any of their children having it? Do they test DNA? Can children be tested in the womb within the aborting time? Three, he takes several medications to help control it but side effects pretty much kill any chance of him being able to release durning sex... what can he do for that besides stop taking his meds?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-21-2008, 09:56 AM   #3
(female)

Litiamae HB User

i spelled it however it is know in the dictionary. he doesnt have a drug problem now, that was in the past. ty tho.

Old 03-21-2008, 01:46 PM   #4
(female)

brokensynapse HB User

I have had symptoms since i was 5 years old, and current throughout my life. I have been on medications dicne the age of 12 and every couple years go off my meds. For me it was very hard. The difference between schizophrenia and schizo affective is... Schizoaffective it is a mood disorder with parts of schizophrenia. For example I have rapid-cycling bipolar, and schizo affective, meaning in lamest terms I have mood swings every 20 mintues, to an hour, and also delsuions, such as paranoia, hallucentions, hearing voices (in my head). Schizophrenia tends to be delsuions, hallucentaions, and paranioa without the mood disorder. Schizoaffective is less common than either disorder.

I have never once heard of drug induced schizoaffective, I have heard of drugs bringing on the disorder, but only if you have the genetics for it. As for children, sometimes these things skip generations, but bipolar or mood disorders have a more frequent occurence. My dad is schizoaffective, and 1/2 the people in my family are bipolar, along with aunts and uncles. Good luck,

Closed Thread