It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Schizophrenia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2009, 09:33 PM   #1
(female)

Kaleigha HB User
Schizophrenia and traumatic events? Please help!

Hello! My name is Marisa. A few weeks ago I was assigned a project about Schizophrenia. I was required to create a hypothesis and then try to prove or disprove it via an interview or surveys. So the hypothesis I came to was "Schizophrenia is more reocurrent in those who have encountered traumatic events."

As I began researching, it seemed clear that traumatic events had very little relevance to the development of the disorder.

So, to finalize if traumatic events have any bearing, I wanted to ask those who have or have dealt with the disorder before.

Do you have Schizophrenia or know someone who has it?

Have you or this person ever faced any traumatic events?

If so, what was the event? (If you don't mind sharing.)

Thank you so much!

Old 01-13-2009, 03:19 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

dreams in neon HB Userdreams in neon HB User
Re: Schizophrenia and traumatic events? Please help!

Since I don't have schizophrenia, I don't know if you're interested in my comments, but I thought I'd post in case you were.

I have atypical bipolar I disorder which is characterized by manic and depressive episodes, rapid cycling (where I experience severe mood swings on an hourly basis), auditory hallucinations, delusions and paranoia.

I experienced 4 different kinds of trauma over the span of 19 years, but would rather not identify what they are.
Prozac 40mg
Risperdal 1mg titrating to 6mg/day
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)
Trazodone 100mg or 200mg PRN

Last edited by dreams in neon; 01-13-2009 at 03:21 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-13-2009, 06:28 AM   #3
(male)

Schmendrick HB User

I've been diagnosed with Paranoid Schizophrenia. Traumatic events certainly don't altogether 'cause' the disease, but I believe they encourage symptoms to appear as a means of the sufferers brain to try and cope with the event. I got arrested and beaten by the cops in early 2007. The stress of this event I belive brought out symptoms, and I won't get into details of how it all came to be (it was my fault I got arrested, that's all I'll say), but the fallout(unnessasary paranioa, delusions, and shame) from the event took a long time to recover from... longer than I'd say a "normal" person. Your project should have been about whether or not sufferers are more susceptible to experiencing traumatic events based on based on their condidtion. In any case, hope this helps.

Old 01-13-2009, 11:37 AM   #4
(female)

CJK62 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaleigha View Post
Hello! My name is Marisa. A few weeks ago I was assigned a project about Schizophrenia. I was required to create a hypothesis and then try to prove or disprove it via an interview or surveys. So the hypothesis I came to was "Schizophrenia is more reocurrent in those who have encountered traumatic events."

As I began researching, it seemed clear that traumatic events had very little relevance to the development of the disorder.

So, to finalize if traumatic events have any bearing, I wanted to ask those who have or have dealt with the disorder before.

Do you have Schizophrenia or know someone who has it?

Have you or this person ever faced any traumatic events?

If so, what was the event? (If you don't mind sharing.)

Thank you so much!
I have been told so many different things that could "trigger" Schizophrenia.

Genetic-My mother's sister was diagnosed with it in the 60's and her brother had similar symptoms but never formerly diagnosed. Sadly, to say, they ended up taking their lives.

A severe blow to the head- My son suffered 2 concussions while playing football between his 9-11th year.

A traumatic event-His father and I divorced when he was 14, having gone through it as a child myself, I am sure it was traumatic.

Substance abuse- Shortly after the divorce my son got caught smoking pot. His father and I tried to “nip it in the bud” and failed. Street drugs are so easy to get and so cheap, it sickens me. According to my son, he has tried them all. Now, he struggles with addiction and Schizophrenia. Currently his drug of choice is crack cocaine…

I have also read somewhere that meth users show the same symptoms as someone suffering from Schizophrenia.

Old 01-13-2009, 12:45 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

MSD607 HB User

I am almost 19 and was diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia when I was 17. Absolutely nothing traumatic happened to me as a child or an adolescent. I believe my schizophrenia was triggered by extreme stress with applying to college, school work, and other school- related stress. This is not to say, however, that everyone with extreme stress ends up with schizophrenia, because that's obviously not the case.

Old 01-13-2009, 07:20 PM   #6
(male)

8800GTS HB User

Hello... Good question.

I got, "psychotic paranoia," symptoms for the first time; when I was 18... Atleast thats the first time it happened so bad - that I had to act on it...

I grew up in an alcoholic family; my Dad was a drunk - but he would return to normal every once in awhile. It was a cycle, and apparently; it resembles bipolar disorder cycles of ups and downs now that we've looked back at it... It was very hard for us to understand the cycles... We became used to the conclusion - that it was my DAD's fault, that he was CHOOSING - to act the way he did... But I was wrong when I started to repeat some of the same behaviors that I had once, (In the past) been victim to...

Anyways, in the past - I remember seeing lots of stuff that most definitely traumatized me... I remember fights - screaming - I was pushed around a bit, and that certainly stunned me. I still remember vividly some of those episodes. However... The odd thing is; is I've never thought of those episodes as extremely traumatizing events... They were scary, but it wasn't the end of the world... I was able to brush them away - whenever my Dad would cycle back to his normal self - and be motivated to make a change... All would be forgiven, and in turn - forgotten... (Or atleast I thought...)

When I was about 16 or so years old, I played hockey... And one of our teammates had a father who was also one of our coaches... Between periods, they had a fight. Our team always thought there was alittle bit of abuse in this particular teammates home, it was just a hunch - but we always thought about it... His Dad was a big man, like a bear most of the time - BUT; when he exploded, he exploded... When I saw our coach grab his son around the neck, and push him against the wall - I was stunned... I couldn't move. Our entire team was watching, but no one was doing anything... They were just confused... I couldn't stand it, I walked around the corner and called to our head coaches; and they then came and broke up the argument / fight... When everyone had cleared the hall - I cried... For a long time. I held back the tears - but something had struck me... HARD... I felt the need to cry after the game - but managed to hide it...

I told my mom about this, and she immediately said, "You've got to talk to someone..." I brushed it away - laughing... Boy I wish now that I would have gone to see someone...

All I can say - is that as a child I DID see traumatizing things, ALOT! Verbal abuse, some physical abuse, alcoholism, etc... And its almost as if - at that moment; when my friend was grabbed around the neck by his dad; something came out of me that I'd managed to hide away, deep down - until that very moment in time... Something that NEEDED to get out, but something that I'd forgotten existed... Maybe it was something I wasn't prepared to accept just yet... But it came back...

Anyways, I think that the answer to your question is going to be near - to - impossible to find... Given that all of psychiatry is basically trial and error - and there is just no ABSOLUTES in its practise... I can only say, that in MY life; I HAVE had traumatizing events take place... And both my parents had traumatizing events take place... But so did my brother... And he is NOT psychotic... Neither is my mom, OR my dad... However we've started to wonder if my Dad is bipolar, now that my illness has sprung up questions of my upbringing - and its effects on my mental well being...

What I'm trying to say, is that; there are just too many variables in someone's life; to simply justify it with any kind of label... To simply say - that you've got schizophrenia... You've had psychotic thoughts and now you NEED these meds... Its even harder to justify a label; with reflecting on their past - GIVEN; that all people have different pasts... Not one is the same... NOT ONE... But in me and my brother's case; we BOTH; had to deal with my Dad, and his alcoholism problems... And so did my mom... So how is it; that I've become psychotic / paranoid - and my brother hasn't... And my mom hasn't... How is that possible; if in FACT; traumatic events lead to the deterioration of mental - well - being...?

Maybe, what you need to do, is answer your question, "Can; traumatic events worsen / exacerbate - symptoms / illnesses...?" With another question... Afterall - Psychiatry is simply masking an answer with another question... And because everyone whose ill is willing to accept any form of, "treatment," they'll most likely believe it... Without any questions...

"Do I have an illness?" - Thats my reply to your question... Thats my answer... Because ultimately - no matter where you seek answers from, no matter who you talk to about it... You will NEVER find an ABSOLUTE answer... Trust me on that! Psychiatry doesn't work that way...

Hopefully that helps ya out!

Thanks,

Last edited by 8800GTS; 01-13-2009 at 07:24 PM.

Old 01-17-2009, 06:46 PM   #7
(female)

Kaleigha HB User

Thank you very much. I really appreciate all of you helping me. It seems as though while schizophrenia is not the result of traumatic events, it can induce them. Would this be an accurate deduction?

Old 01-17-2009, 10:14 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

MSD607 HB User

I would say if someone has a predisposition for schizophrenia, then yes, trauma might trigger it.

Old 01-18-2009, 06:11 PM   #9
(female)

duliel HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaleigha View Post
Thank you very much. I really appreciate all of you helping me. It seems as though while schizophrenia is not the result of traumatic events, it can induce them. Would this be an accurate deduction?
Hi, I don't have schizophrenia but I think there a re a few things that need to be considered (some of which people have already pointed out):

A person needs to have a predisposition to Schizophrenia which can be triggered by various things. Some people may be more sensitive to stress triggering the disorder whereas others are more sensitive to changes in biochemistry expressed by using drugs such as marijuana and some cases even alcohol. Some people may spent 30 years of their life not developing symptoms until a traumatic event occurs and the person starts showing symptoms. But symptoms most commonly set in around puberty and early 20's where biochemistry is very active and as most people know is also one of the most stressful times in a person's life. But the important things is to remember that people vary in their chances of developing schizophrenia and the first step is to analyze what degree of predisposition they have.

Last edited by duliel; 03-02-2009 at 07:38 PM.

Closed Thread