It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Schizophrenia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2009, 03:50 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

light the world HB User
Catatonia or absent seizure?

I've had so far four of these unknown experiences. Unknown as in we don't know what they are. Each one of these experiences I don't seem to remember what happened. We currently believe that it is either an absent seizure or a catatonic experience.

The first experience I was sitting on the couch for 30 minutes starring of in space unresponsive to external stimuli.

The second experience I was at school and the same thing happened. This time though I had my arm raised up in the air and apparently when the teacher tried to move it she said it felt rigid and it wouldn't change locations. This apparently lasted for about 20 minutes. We then when I snapped out of it I went to the emergency at the hospital and they thought that I was having an absent seizure. So they put me on Tegretol 800mg a day.

The third experience I was in my room again unresponsive to external stimuli and apparently moving my left arm back and forth and my right arm was in the air. My mom described it as if I was playing with an imaginary violin.

The fourth experience I was apparently moving my arms back and forth up and down and my left index finger was moving up and down as well.

So today we sall a neurologist to try and figure out what the problem was. He was unsure to say whether it was an absence seizure or that I was in a Catatonic state.

I have a question though, what is the difference between an absence seizure and being catatonic?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-09-2009, 03:57 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

MSD607 HB User
Re: Catatonia or absent seizure?

Well, an absent seizure is very similar to catatonia, except it normally lasts seconds to a few minutes at most. It consists of the subject staring into space, appearing to be unresponsive. To be honest with you, your case sounds more like catatonia. Catatonia lasts much longer than an absent seizure, and the fact that you were in odd positions tells me that yeah, it most likely is catatonia. You should obviously listen to your doctor over me, though.

Old 02-09-2009, 04:01 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

dreams in neon HB Userdreams in neon HB User

I'm not a doctor, but I agree with MSD that what you've experienced sounds alot like catatonia. I had catatonia back in 2006 while being hospitalized for my bipolar. I was given high doses of mood stabilizers and antipsychotics which made me catatonic for 17 hours (according to one of the nurses who told me this upon my discharge). I was told that my face was expressionless (i.e. no affect) and I remained in the same position (sitting on the floor with my legs crossed) during all that time. If you're curious to know whether or not what you've described is catatonia vs. a seizure, I would recommend that you speak to your pdoc or GP.
Prozac 40mg
Risperdal 1mg titrating to 6mg/day
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)
Trazodone 100mg or 200mg PRN

Last edited by dreams in neon; 02-09-2009 at 04:02 PM.

Old 02-09-2009, 05:38 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

light the world HB User

First of all thx MSD and Dreams of Neon for responding. I did see a neurologist today but he has no clue what it was. I do agree that this sounds more like catatonia based on what I have researched.

Old 02-09-2009, 06:14 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

under,

It might be best that you discuss your symptoms with a psychiatrist since they are quite familiar with catatonia which could be indicative of schizophrenia, a side effect of meds as well as other conditions. Good luck.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Last edited by dreams in neon; 02-09-2009 at 06:16 PM.

Old 02-10-2009, 01:16 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

light the world HB User

I have another question for anyone. Can someone have paranoid schizophrenia with catatonic symptoms because thats kind of what its like for me.

Old 02-10-2009, 02:05 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

I'll let MSD answer your question, but I will say this. When I was in a manic/psychotic state 2 years ago, I was catatonic and from what my pdoc recently told me, part of it was due to being given high doses of mood stabilizers and antipsychotics. The other part of it was due to my psychosis and paranoia. As far as catatonia goes, there is a type of schizophrenia called catatonic schizophrenia. I wonder if that might be what you have?
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Last edited by dreams in neon; 02-10-2009 at 02:07 PM.

Old 02-10-2009, 04:26 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

MSD607 HB User

Hi, yeah I'm pretty certain that you can have symptoms of both subcategories of schizophrenia. It's called undifferentiated, and it's when there are several symptoms of each subtype, and cannot be clearly called one or the other. But definitely talk to you doctor about it.

Old 02-11-2009, 04:35 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

light the world HB User

Well to reply to what you were saying neon about whether I have catatonic schizophrenia. I don't think I do because I show symtoms of both paranoid and catatonic schizophrenia.

Old 02-11-2009, 06:10 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

In that case, I agree with MSD. It sounds as if you have undifferentiated schizophrenia. Have you seen a psychiatrist yet for an evaluation?
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Old 02-12-2009, 03:57 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

light the world HB User

I will be seeing a psychiatrist in exactly 6 days from today but the one problem is that he believes I have a bipolar disorder. Apparently both sides of my family have had extreme bipolar disorders and had to be hospitalized. The thing is is that I don't show any signs or symptoms of bipolar. I'm not manic or go from stages of rapid cycling. I sleep fine during the night so how could I have bipolar. I personally agree with you two about the undifferentiated schizophrenia. Although we still haven't determined whether or not the symptoms I'm having are catatonic or an absent seizure.

Old 02-19-2009, 05:28 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

light the world HB User

Well we finally figured out that it was an absent seizure and not catatonia. Strange though how it shows a lot of the symptoms of catatonia. But the neurologist said it was absent seizure so thats that.

Old 02-19-2009, 08:55 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

under,

I'm glad you were finally able to receive a correct diagnosis. If you've never been manic before (or hypomanic -- a mild form of mania) then it wouldn't make sense that you would be bipolar. Bipolar does run in families, but it isn't always passed on from one family member to another. Sometimes it can be caused by stress and environmental factors. At any rate, I'm glad you have an explanation for your symptoms.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Last edited by dreams in neon; 02-19-2009 at 08:57 PM.

Old 02-20-2009, 09:49 AM   #14
Veteran
(female)

MSD607 HB User

That's interesting, especially since your symptoms sounded a lot more like catatonia. But I'm glad you found out what's wrong, and I hope you can alleviate the problem now that you know what's up.

Old 02-20-2009, 09:53 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(male)

light the world HB User

Yah I know MSD I was thinking the same thing. Apparently if you were in a catatonic state you would actually need an injection to get out of it. At least thats what my psychiatrist said.

Closed Thread