It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Schizophrenia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2009, 01:00 PM   #1
(female)

writerhope HB User
Do you have Schizophrenia?

I was misdiagnosed with Bipolar Disorder because I didn't have insurance and my medical bills would not be covered if they diagnosed me with schizophrenia. The doctors forced me to take medication that I did not need and ruined my life. The medication had many side effects and the doctors were only worried about "MONEY". DO not take the doctors word for anything. Read, study find out for yourself! This is not right!

inappropriate generalizations

Last edited by Administrator; 06-17-2010 at 04:46 PM. Reason: inappropriate generalizations

Old 07-25-2009, 03:57 PM   #2
(female)

writerhope HB User
Do you have Schizophrenia?

I was misdiagnosed with bipolar disorder when in fact I had symptoms of Schizophrenia. The Doctors knew this and they purposely misdiagnosed me with BiPolar Disorder because the insurance would not cover Schizophrenia.
I don't have mood swings. I am not depressed. The doctors had me on all sorts of medication that I did not need.

There are different types of Schizophrenia and not all of them can be treated with medication. Skull structure is not a chemical imbalance. The Doctors would love for you to believe that you need all this medication that makes them money. The hospital bills would not be paid if they diagnosed you with what you really have.

In my humble opinion. I do not believe that most of these so called "illnesses" require any medication what so ever. In my case I believe it was lack of sleep, food and too much stress for a long period of time.
This is nothing a little sleep, food and lack of stress could not fix. Now after you have passed the point of no return in delusions you would of course have to knock some since into these peoples and bring them back to earth. But Doctors rest reasured in thier paychecks if they just give you a pill for every earthly problem you ever had.

So how do you talk some since into these people who are "delusional". First you have to understand them. People don't understand them. People are afraid of them and rather give them a pill and lock them up in a Mental hospital. People don't know how to talk to them and bring them in touch with reality.

First you have to understand what it is. I would describe it as waking up from a dream and still be dreaming. Like sleep walking. Your eyes are open everything seems real. You can touch your dream, feel your dream so how do you know you are dreaming? When you are awake and dreaming there is no way of telling that it is only a dream. So what do you do? Prove them wrong. Prove to them that this is only a dream and explain to them what is going on. As if you were explaining it to a doctor. Don't leave them in the dark to live in this dream forever. Someone has to wake them up. There is no pill that can do this for them.

If your child woke up from a nightmare you would say its ok honey it was only a dream. I think that if you put me in the room with some of these delusional people I could bring them out of it faster then any medication or pill could ever bring them out of it.

You have to get them to question thier own thoughts. Make them realize that this is not reality. Wake up! Your dreaming!

Like I said... A little sleep, food, and lack of stress could be a simple solution to this problem. Your brain can not function with out food and your mind can not function with out sleep. You have to dream to function. If you are not sleeping for days at a time or even a week this could lead you to dilusions. I do not see this as mentally ill but as a sleeping problem. Add a ton of stess to the equation and starving for days or weeks and you could become delusional. Anyone. Anyone under the right circumstances could become delusional. These right circumstance don't happen to everyone.
People don't understand it and they are afraid of it. People assume the worst and they will label you as mentally ill for the rest of your life.

You had a bad dream! That is all! Your brain can not function without dreaming, sleep, and food.

Last edited by writerhope; 07-25-2009 at 04:14 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-25-2009, 07:27 PM   #3
(male)

Swamp56 HB User
Re: Do you have Schizophrenia?

Constant stress can cause symptoms like hallucinations, but usually don't include the delusions that schizophrenics have. Almost all schizophrenics don't know or realize anything is wrong and they truly believe what the see and hear.

I would have a sit down with your psychiatrist/s and talk to them about your diagnosis and how you feel about this.
Lexapro 60mg,
Topamax 50mg

Old 07-25-2009, 08:00 PM   #4
(female)

jhowells23 HB User
Re: Misdiagnosed with Bipolar Disorder: PLEASE READ

Wow, I am sorry for what you have been through. Not everyone is in this position, though. I know for myself I do need the medication and I made my own diagnoses. The pdoc was hesitant to go with what I all ready knew was wrong. I wish you luck in your efforts to bring this to light!

Zyprexa 10mg at bed time
Lamictal 25mg in the morning for 2 weeks titrating up to 100 mg BID (lets hope it works!!!)
Ativan 1mg TID PRN

Old 07-25-2009, 08:06 PM   #5
(female)

cerajoan HB Usercerajoan HB User

Hi,

Even though I choose to take medication, I do understand what you're saying. I've been through the mill with the mental health system, you just wouldn't believe the stuff. I hate that I have to have anything to do with them. Oh sure, there are some decent ones, and many are well meaning. But I've seen some of the worst crap, it's a dehumanizing system.

Anyone out there that's been hospitalized, have you ever noticed how cruel the night staff always is? What do they do when hiring these people? Advertize for the meanest people around?

Look at how the mentally ill have been treated throughout history. Not a whole lot has changed. I keep my distance from the MHS as much as possible. I take my meds, tell them what they want to hear -- and then I'm out the door.

Everybody has to do what works for them. But I bet a lot of folks, if they could be honest, would have a story or two to tell about some crappy way they've been treated by the MHS.

I support you taking a stand for yourself. Good luck.

Old 07-26-2009, 04:32 AM   #6
(female)

electric blue HB User

Dear Writerhope,

Wow.....

Electric blue

Old 07-26-2009, 02:35 PM   #7
(male)

Raggamuffin HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamp56 View Post
Constant stress can cause symptoms like hallucinations, but usually don't include the delusions that schizophrenics have. Almost all schizophrenics don't know or realize anything is wrong and they truly believe what the see and hear.

I would have a sit down with your psychiatrist/s and talk to them about your diagnosis and how you feel about this.
i agree, i think you have hugely misunderstood schizofrenia... its not as simple as that

Old 07-26-2009, 06:33 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Llama HB User

Writerhope, Are you manic?
Wellbutrin xl 450mg
Lexapro 10mg
Ativan 0.5mg, then 1mg at bedtime

Old 07-27-2009, 08:46 AM   #9
(female)

Bunnylover HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama View Post
Writerhope, Are you manic?
I don't want to be unkind, but you do sound manic.

Old 07-27-2009, 09:29 AM   #10
(female)

mizcandula HB User

Writerhope, I'm with you. I had been diagnosed as bipolar, but the psych put me on an antidepressant instead of a mood stabilizer. When I started feeling more stressed out, he put me on another antidepressant too. I was taking Cymbalta and Prozac at the same time. When I ditched this psych, I went to a new one and he told me that the other psych was irresponsible putting me on two potent ADs at one time and with no mood stabilizer yet.

I thought I found my saving grace. As I always do, I made it very clear I did not want an AD that caused weight gain, I had already gained a lot from the 2 ADs I was on simultaneously. This psych put me on Lamictal and Pristiq, which he assured me would not cause weight gain. He also assured me that it would not be hard to come off of when the time came.

Well, here I am 6 months after starting Pristiq. I became ill 4 months in and was told by that psych that it couldn't be the meds because the side effects would have started in week one. He told me to go to a neurologist. Guess what? I'm absolutely fine.. great health [aside from being overweight because of all this garbage]. I then decided to drop this psych too, sincehe didn't know what he was talking about either.. Oh, and I gained 40lbs more since January!

I now have a new psych who actually listens to me and told me, flat out, that 95% of people gain weight on ADs.. not just because of hunger, but because of the chemical makeup of the drug. He has worked in NYU for 30 yrs, so yeah, I believe him. He also believes drugs are way over prescribed. He is getting me off the Pristiq and once that is out of my system, the Lamictal.

BTW, I am going through wicked withdrawal, something the previous psych assured me wouldn't happen. I feel like I have the flu and a bad fever constantly.

Sorry for the long story, but I just wanted to assure you that you are not alone.

And no, I am definitely not manic.

Last edited by moderator2; 07-27-2009 at 09:34 AM. Reason: please do not discuss the other replies - post to the thread originator

Old 08-14-2009, 03:04 PM   #11
(female)

dragoncat HB User

Hi Writerhope, thanks so much for your post. I knew it was important to use your own brain when doctors tell you things, but I never thought about a misdiagnosis like yours. Even though you don't trust your doctors (understandably) I hope you have been able to find a good support system as well as a way to work with the diagnosis that fits you.

And also, not a judgment on your situation but more generally, not all doctors are evil. They are human, just like everyone else. They are also working in a flawed system and prescribing drugs no one really understands. For some of us the medications do work.

Best of luck to you Writerhope.

Old 02-26-2011, 12:06 PM   #12
(female)

6packofgold HB User

Writerhope,

Well that is not schizophrenia or bipolar disorder.

That is sleep deprivation. Sleep deprivation can cause dilusions. This can also be caused by taking diet pills.

Last edited by 6packofgold; 02-26-2011 at 12:14 PM.

Closed Thread