It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Schizophrenia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2009, 10:36 AM   #1
(male)

canewielder HB User
Question Depression and voices?

I am a 50 year old male. I lost most of my central vision about 11 years ago from a virus so I am legally blind. I have always been a somewhat antisocial person but even more so after losing most of my vision. I became very depressed since losing my sight and my Medical Doctor started giving me paroxetine almost 2 years ago for the depression. About 6 months after losing my sight I would on occasion hear voices. A couple of times a month I would hear voices talking when no one was actually around. I couldnít make out what they were saying except I would hear my name called at times. For the last several months (8 or 9) there has been a voice actually talking to me. It started out just a time or two a day but has increased greatly. It just carries on somewhat normal conversations, remarks about the news, people, events, daily activities, etc. I do not recognize the voice as being from someone I know or have known in the past, but it is a clear distinct voice. It can get very annoying, it is fairly constant during the hours Iím awake no matter what Iím doing or where I am. I havenít told anyone about the voice for fear of being labeled insane and driving away those around me. Can severe depression cause someone to begin hearing voices? I am pretty sure itís not schizophrenia because of my age. I would appreciate any help or useful information anyone can give about what is going on with me.

Thank You

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-25-2009, 06:13 PM   #2
(male)

Swamp56 HB User
Re: Depression and voices?

Psychotic depression can have voices associated with it, although we here at HealthBoards are not at liberty to diagnose someone. I would highly suggest you talk to a psychiatrist or your primary care physician about the voice/s you hear.
Lexapro 60mg,
Topamax 50mg

Closed Thread