It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Schizophrenia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2009, 04:41 AM   #1
(female)

lovekush HB User
Skizotypal Disorder

Does anyone have this disorder? I felt for the past 7 years that I have social anxiety disorder but I never seen a doctor. I think I might have something else rather than social anxiety.

I was looking up info on social anxiety when I discovered this disorder and was amazed at all the symptoms. It's called Skizotypal Disorder. I feel like I can relate to almost all of these symptoms but haven't talked to a doctor. I don't want to go to a doctor and say, "I have this disorder, give me medicine". I hear thats a big no no. If anyone has ever been diagnosed with Skizotypal disorder, I'd like to talk about it with someone and get more info. I've talked to friends about it and none of them have heard of the disorder. I almost think it's not that common.

Here are the symptoms below and how I relate:

* ideas of reference (excluding delusions of reference)

(I can relate to this a little but not so much)

* odd beliefs or magical thinking that influences behavior and is inconsistent with subcultural norms (e.g., superstitiousness, belief in clairvoyance, telepathy, or "sixth sense"; in children and adolescents, bizarre fantasies or preoccupations)

(I do relate to this. I feel that I am sensitive to paranormal activity and I sense positive and negative energies. I have many odd beliefs and magical thinkings. I don't necessarily believe in unicorns and fairies but I do live in a fantasy world and sometimes I consider myself psychic and I think I have a sixth sense. This is something I believe and I don't think its a disease)

* unusual perceptual experiences, including bodily illusions

(I don't really hallucinate or hear voices at all but I do have something called hypnopompic hallucinations which occur after waking up)

* odd thinking and speech (e.g., vague, circumstantial, metaphorical, overelaborate, or stereotyped)

(I do have this. When I communicate with people, my words are sometimes vague. It makes sense to me but not to the person I'm talking to. I am a good writer but I lack communication skills and sometimes I become mute because I don't want to embarrass myself or be misunderstood and I also over elaborate my words)

* suspiciousness or paranoid ideation

(everyone I meet finds me to be standoffish even though I love being around people and going to parties. I'm not anti-social. However, I get paranoid that everyone I meet thinks less of me and do not like me because most people I do meet (acquainted, co-workers, etc..) don't like my personality mostly because i am an introvert. I know this because they tell me or I'll hear from someone else. But I assume that everyone I meet won't like me so I don't ever take the chance to get to know anyone)

* inappropriate or constricted affect- the individual appears to be cold and aloof

(I have been told that I appear cold even when I'm having a good time. I could be at Disney World or on the beaches in Hawaii and people would question whether or not I'm having a good time when I'm having a blast. I also seem very aloof and distant. My facial expressions don't match my emotions. I appear very blank).

* behavior or appearance that is odd, eccentric, or peculiar

(I've always been very peculiar/misunderstood and have dressed odd and eccentric but I see nothing wrong with that. I do go to rave parties and on the weekends I may be seen wearing fairy wings or some costume (fairy, princess, sexy bunny, catwoman, porcelain doll, rainbow brite, etc..) when its not Halloween. To me that is fun. I wish I could wear a costume every day. On a normal day, I dress normal. But at night I like to come out and play).

* lack of close friends or confidants other than first-degree relatives

I only have a couple friends. Most people (even hippies, freaks, goths, etc..) don't like me because they don't understand me. Its very hard to make friends. I'm kind of an acquired taste.

* excessive social anxiety that does not diminish with familiarity and tends to be associated with paranoid fears rather than negative judgments about self

(Exactly what I've been saying. I don't think negative thoughts about myself. I'm not depressed and I'm confident in myself most of the time. I don't feel shy or insecure. I have social anxiety that does not go away. I even shared a room with someone for months and still could not bring myself to feel comfortable around them. Even sharing the same bedroom together. I could be around the same people for years and still feel anxious around them. Then other people (very rarely) I don't feel this way at all and have no problems communicating with them.

So these are the symptoms and my conditions. If anyone has been diagnosed with this disorder please contact me. I'd like to talk to someone about it. If you relate to these symptoms at all, feel free to e-mail me or reply back. I just wanna learn more about this disorder and talk to someone about it. Peace.

Last edited by moderator2; 09-05-2009 at 05:48 AM. Reason: posted contact info - please read the posting rules

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread