It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Schizophrenia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2009, 06:17 PM   #1
(male)

Florida boy HB User
Question can anyone shed some light on paranoid schizophrenic?

all right, here it is. I'm 20 years old, my best friend is 19 and paranoid schizophrenic. he was on, for a short time, a medication called respridone (I believe that's how it's spelled) it seemed to be working from my stand point. He was happier and less anxious. However, upon caughing up blood we went to the ER and found out that the medication was causing blood clots in his lungs. it's less than a 2% chance of this happening but he managed to get it, such is life right? So they switched him over to a new medication called invegra. it's been 6 days since the switch and he had an episode last night. luckily I was able to restrain him until it passed making sure nobody got hurt during the whole ordeal. he's been acting very strange, and to be frank scary, since the medicine change. is this a normal thing? by that I mean is it just his body switching over and getting used to the new medicine or is invegra simply not working? I REALLY don't want to take him to a in-patient care center but I don't want him hurting himself or my fiancee who lives with us.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-13-2009, 01:16 AM   #2
(male)

blackjack777 HB User
Re: can anyine shed some light on paranoid schizophrenic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida boy View Post
all right, here it is. I'm 20 years old, my best friend is 19 and paranoid schizophrenic. he was on, for a short time, a medication called respridone (I believe that's how it's spelled) it seemed to be working from my stand point. He was happier and less anxious. However, upon caughing up blood we went to the ER and found out that the medication was causing blood clots in his lungs. it's less than a 2% chance of this happening but he managed to get it, such is life right? So they switched him over to a new medication called invegra. it's been 6 days since the switch and he had an episode last night. luckily I was able to restrain him until it passed making sure nobody got hurt during the whole ordeal. he's been acting very strange, and to be frank scary, since the medicine change. is this a normal thing? by that I mean is it just his body switching over and getting used to the new medicine or is invegra simply not working? I REALLY don't want to take him to a in-patient care center but I don't want him hurting himself or my fiancee who lives with us.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-13-2009, 10:07 AM   #3
(female)

untraceable HB User

Medication changes can cause episodes if the patient is not put on a high enough starting dose. I ended up inpatient when I switched from perphenazine to risperdal(risperidone). Give it a few more days, but if he is violent, then inpatient might be better. They can ramp up his medication faster inpatient than outpatient.

Old 12-05-2009, 02:00 AM   #4
(male)

Stavy HB User

I totally agree with untraceable. The medication change can cause people to have problems with schizophrenia until the new medication 'kicks in'. If he's violent again, I'd take him to the hospital.

Old 12-06-2009, 04:36 AM   #5
(male)

koolguy HB User

Since taking invega, I've been having this weird symptoms which occurs once every 4-5 days and lasts for hours at a time. I feel a scary or creepy feeling very strongly so that they overwhelm me and I feel overly nervous or frustrated along with compulsiveness. Also when this happens and I try to see what's ahead I feel this creepy feeling and I feel patterns on what's seen ahead of me like in between the tiles in bathroom, etc. I feel so nervious that I keep blinking rapidly and can't sit still. Also I feel strange sensation on my body like someone's next to me or that my body doesn't feel like my own, or that I am floating in air(which is similar to agoraphobia). During such times it's really difficult to be at ease so I just wait it out by lying down and listen to tv. My pdoc thinks it's anxiety-related, but I argued that it could be akathisia from invega. It's really difficult to deal with and I'm mentioning this cus' your friend may be suffering from this very disturbing symptom like mine and that may be why he is freaking out. I don't know.

Last edited by koolguy; 12-06-2009 at 04:38 AM.

Old 12-09-2009, 10:42 PM   #6
(female)

attack123 HB User

I have two questions for you. 1. Have you ever hit your head? Ask family members if you do not remember. This is crucial as so called Schizophrenia can also be related to head injury. and 2. Have you ever had an EEG? It is a test to detect seizure disorders. It is painless. The symptoms you are describing also sound like the aura found during a Partial Complex Seizure. The treatment for seizures could be life saving. My son had an undetected brain injury for ten years that caused very similar symptoms. He is much better now, but he will never be the same.

Last edited by moderator2; 12-10-2009 at 07:42 AM. Reason: posted contact info - please read the posting rules

Old 12-09-2009, 10:48 PM   #7
(female)

attack123 HB User

Please ask your doctor about having an EEG. It sounds as though your symptoms could be coming from something called a Partial Complex Seizure Disorder. Anti psychotics lower the seizure threshhold and can also cause the symptoms you are describing. This may not apply to you, but, left untreated, seizure disorder left untreated can be dangerous and make you feel horrible. Also, have you ever hit your head? Sometimes, the symptoms you describe as Schizophrenia can be, instead head injury related. Be sure and ask your family as you may not remember-especially if you were unconscious. The symptoms can look the same, but the treatment is often very different.

Last edited by moderator2; 12-10-2009 at 07:42 AM. Reason: posted contact info - please read the posting rules

Old 12-09-2009, 10:51 PM   #8
(female)

attack123 HB User

Please ask your friend if he has ever hit his head. The symptoms of Schizophrenia can sometimes stem from an untreated head injury. My son went undiagnosed and untreated for ten years in and out of mental hospitals, as his brothers were afraid to tell me of a violent brain injury. They had been afraid of getting into trouble. Let me know, okay?

Old 12-16-2009, 11:08 PM   #9
(male)

Florida boy HB User

he has had nine recorded concussions, yes nine. Upon hearing that, EEG and seizures were actually the doctors first steps. When this proved invalid they moved onto the P.Skyzo checkpoints and that's when he was diagnosed.

I would like to thank everyone for their help. he has gotten better and you were all right, he just needed time for the new meds to start working.

He still has...I hesitate to say episodes b/c they're not full blown things. there's just times where he gets depressed and says stupid things about hurting himself and what-not. I don't say stupid to be offensive to anyone who suffers from depression, I say it b/c it's not him, that's not who he is at all, I just think the diagnoses hit him hard and he's having trouble dealing with it, though it could be depression issues, I don't know. Does anyone have a similar thing going on?

He does other things to indicate an episode like pacing, staring off into nothing and getting angry while he's doing it, or he'll just snap at no one saying "I don't want to talk to you go away" or "I'm not paying attention to you anymore leave me alone" I'm guessing he's talking to his visual hallucinations at these times.

In short, I'm just a little lost about all this. This is something I've never encountered before and I want to make sure I'm not missing something crucial. Again, thank you to all who've posted reply's, they've been very helpful and I appreciate it

Old 12-19-2009, 10:28 AM   #10
(female)

attack123 HB User

Hi, I am so glad your loved one is doing better on the meds. I am concerned about a couple of things you said, though. I would let you know that the majority of seizure disorders are not picked up on an EEG and partial complex seizures (which are often caused by head injury) can cause hallucinations and more. I personally like http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1184509-overview

Other articles and journals are finding a major connection between psychotis or Schizophrenia disorders and head injury. As one author states there is up to a "300% increase" in the likelihood of someone with a traumatic brain injury developing Schizophrenia. (see http://www.med.nyu.edu/contacts/malasd01.html). This particular author studied those who had a relative with the disorder, but, I do not believe they studied those without. There are others who have studied individuals with no genetic link to the disorder, but have also come to a similar conclusion concerning the connection between traumatic brain injury and psychosis.

As to the strange behavior associated with a psychotic disorder that may come from head injury please take a look at (http://communications.med.nyu.edu/news/2009/delusions-associated-with-consistent-pattern-brain-injury). This gentleman was published fairly recently in the New York Times.

Last edited by Administrator; 12-26-2009 at 06:18 PM. Reason: Removed disallowed website

Old 12-25-2009, 04:02 AM   #11
(female)

Thenelly HB User

Sorry to butt in on this thread, Thank you Attack123 for this info. It has been 10 yrs also since my sons head injury also. All my family believe his Schizophrenic modes stem from his hard hit to the head. Now he is under treatment (against his will), I am desperately searching for info that may help find the real problem, and get to the real answer. Maybe there is a better answer than Psychotic meds. for the rest of his life. It has been a long, hard ten years. Any more info on your findings will be GREATLY APPRECIATED!! Merry Christmas, God Bless You!!

Last edited by hb-mod; 12-26-2009 at 02:22 AM. Reason: Removed quote of the immediately preceding post. Please use Quick Reply instead of Quote Reply. Thanks.

Closed Thread