It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Schizophrenia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2009, 10:10 AM   #1
(male)

koolguy HB User
strange feeling after taking invega

I'm taking 3mg invega, and I have relatively high blood sugar and cholesterol.

I was on Zyprexa last year which put me to sleep. For a while I was off any antipsychotic meds and then I had months of massive headaches.

Then I was put on 3mg invega from beginning of 2009. But ever since on invega I had this strange symptom. About once a week I would get strange feelings which lasted for hours at a time. The feelings were scary feeling, 'floating in the air' feeling, feeling like being inside an aeroplane, vision problems, and nervousness. I looked up in the net, and I noticed that I have similar symptoms to agoraphobia, such as 'feeling like one's body is not their own'. My psychiatrist initially thought it was general anxiety but now also suspects pre-psychotic symptoms. During those episodes I would also get compulsive and thoughts were strong and hard to control. So I would turn on TV and lie down and simply wait it out cus' after few hours it went away.

After 7-8 months symptoms very slowly but gradually went away or got less severe. I haven't got one for 16 days now. But after exercise I get some of those weird feelings back, such as 'floating in the air' kind of feeling, which gradually dies down after I stop exercising.

Anyone has any clues about why I'm getting these strange symptoms? Thanks.

Old 11-14-2009, 02:03 PM   #2
(female)

cerajoan HB Usercerajoan HB User
Re: strange feeling after taking invega

I wish I could help, all I can say is these drugs have all kinds of effects. I've been on so many, and some even the same drug at different times in my life had different side effects. Some doctors are smart and know the drugs effects, others are not and leave you trying to figure out whats the drug and what's you. So just saying here in support of your struggle trying to figure out the stuff.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-25-2009, 01:51 PM   #3
(male)

koolguy HB User

I'm not sure why nobody here mentioned it, but don't you think my symptoms resemble akathisia?

Last edited by koolguy; 11-25-2009 at 01:56 PM.

Old 11-25-2009, 04:34 PM   #4
(female)

I have had akathisia and the way mine was was not like what you described but that doesn't mean anything because I'm sure akathisia has different feeling for different people. Mine always was physical agitation where I couldn't stay still and morbid anxiety and terror with it. I never had a floating feeling but definately extreme nervousness or a horror nightmare feeling.

Old 12-01-2009, 10:42 PM   #5
(male)

koolguy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerajoan View Post
I have had akathisia and the way mine was was not like what you described but that doesn't mean anything because I'm sure akathisia has different feeling for different people. Mine always was physical agitation where I couldn't stay still and morbid anxiety and terror with it. I never had a floating feeling but definately extreme nervousness or a horror nightmare feeling.
Thx for your reply, cerajoan.

Anyways, my pdoc has increased my dosage to 6mg and I will see whether this will make it worse or better in the next few days.

Old 12-06-2009, 03:46 AM   #6
(male)

koolguy HB User

Ok just for the heck of it, I will keep update on my symptoms over the next few days to weeks. My symptoms have a definite time of onset and duration so it can be tracked. I'm hoping that I don't have it again soon. For review, my main symptoms are 1) scary/creepy feeling; 2) nervousness/frustrated feeling; 3) feeling like someone's beside me or feeling like my body isn't my own; 4) feel compulsive. One physical effect of these symptoms is that my neck area tightens so I feel like choking as I get nervous. One psychological effect of these is that I keep fearing that I might hear voices(when I'm not) and that makes me choke and become overly nervous. On 4th of Dec I had one that began in the afternoon and lasted for hours. This was four days after the previous one. I'm expecting another on 9th Dec as it occurs every 4-5 days and in the afternoon ever since I started taking invega in the morning, and not in the afternoon. When I took invega in the afternoon I had symptoms that began during the noon. I think the symptoms have similarities with agoraphobia and panic attacks and also to akathisia from invega. The one I had on 4th Dec was the first one I had since I increased my dose of invega from 3mg to 6mg. My observations suggest that severity of symptoms do not worsen with the change in dosage. This was an experiment with me and my pdoc to see if invega is the cause in this, but so far it is inconclusive. My pdoc thinks it's anxiety related. I'm hoping to have progress on this, so that either the symptoms become less severe or that it lasts for less time, or that it becomes less frequent. Wish me luck

Last edited by koolguy; 12-06-2009 at 04:59 AM.

Old 12-08-2009, 05:44 PM   #7
(male)

koolguy HB User

Today is 9th and I had my last one at 4th so it's five days since. So today or tomorrow I'm expected to have another one. Wish me luck that it won't be hard to bear or be too long! It would be great if I don't get any for a long time! In any case, wish me luck!

Old 12-08-2009, 09:17 PM   #8
(female)

Hey good luck, koolguy! I'm cheering for you!

Old 12-11-2009, 03:51 PM   #9
(male)

koolguy HB User
On 11th Dec I had another one. It started at night and lasted a few hours until it was past 3AM. It started with me reading some material and having racing thoughts. Then I started to get nervous for a while, then I started having creepy and scary feelings again along with increasing compulsion. So I had tension in the neck and face area. But after a while I was able to just lie down without much trouble. I lay there on the couch for several hours then I thought I felt better now, so I moved back to bedroom to sleep, since it was past 3AM. Then when I lay, I had a feeling of someone behind me and my body not feeling like my own. But I tolerated it, cus' I know these two feelings are uncomfortable but harmless, unlike compulsions or nervousness which have the danger of thought provoking some unwarranted action. Anyhow, I just fall back to sleep and I had good sleep after that.

Sometimes the scary feeling episodes begin with creepy feeling overwhelming me, and sometimes it's scary feeling feeling coupled with feeling like someone behind me that does that, and yet sometimes it's nervousness that overwhelms me that does it, like on 11th. But they have all become somewhat bearable, although duration is still long. All I need to do is try to sleep for several hours. I would rate the one I had on 4th and the one at 11th Dec as different types as the one on 4th began with creepy feeling, but on 11th it began with nervousness, but in terms of severity or how hard it is to bear, I would say they are both easy to moderate.

I found peace to these symptoms by recording in detail everything significant I can. So when it strikes I can record them and then review them later to discover the triggers, etc.

I hope that in the near future, scary feeling episodes will be restricted to fewer types than three that are present now. Currently the three types are those that begin with overwhelming feeling of creepiness, those that begin with scary feeling coupled with feeling like someone behind me, and lastly, those that begin with overwhelming nervousness. Hopefully, in the near future, I will only have one of these kinds, so it become easier to critique. My other hope is that there is visible improvement on the severity of symptoms displayed during such an episode. Or that they lasts for less duration. I want to find hope. I will wait and see.

Last edited by Mod-S4; 09-30-2012 at 02:23 AM.

Old 12-12-2009, 07:08 PM   #10
(female)

I think you're doing great with it, koolguy. You have good insight and an objective approach. I wish you continued success!

Old 12-18-2009, 05:00 AM   #11
(male)

koolguy HB User
Had a really mild one on 15th Dec. It was the mildest on record and it was hence very bearable. It's 17th now and I hasn't had another one yet. Let's see how it goes.
---
I had another really mild one today on 18th Dec. It was so weak that it was hardly noticeable. If this becomes a trend then this is a great news. Although it may be occurring in more frequency, its severity is greatly reduced, to a level that is even comfortable. I need to wait more days to confirm that this indeed is the new trend.
---
Once I had 16 days without one occurring, so it's too early to celebrate. I really hope that this time I will only get really mild ones consistently.

Last edited by Mod-S4; 09-30-2012 at 02:24 AM. Reason: Posts merged.

Old 12-18-2009, 08:21 PM   #12
(female)

Hey that's great that you're getting mild ones!

Old 12-29-2009, 02:11 AM   #13
(male)

koolguy HB User
It's 21st Dec and I had my last one at 18th. Nothing much to report yet.
---
I'm a little nervous whether I will get one tonight.
---
Actually I had another one at 22nd Dec and it was a quite severe one(score 10/24). The one on 11th Dec was 8/24 and two in between were 2/24. If I discount the two mild ones I had 11 days in between 11th Dec episode and 22nd Dec episode. So I could say that under 6mg of invega I still get scary feeling episodes at a frequency of once per week, about. There is no progress, it seems, yet. I have to talk to my pdoc. He may change the medication, I don't know.
---
On 26th Dec, four days after the last one(score 10/24) I had another one(score 6/24). It was relatively mild one, but I could vividly feel strong unpleasant feelings.
---
Today(29th Dec) I decided to take an extra 3mg of invega during the afternoon(~5PM, without food) in addition to 6mg in the morning(with food). I made this decision because I noticed that when I took invega in the morning the scary feeling episodes come up around 4-11PM whereas when I take it just before I go to sleep it comes up around 1-5PM. So I decided to take invega at around 5PM. I pray to Jesus that I won't get another for a month; that would be a success. I see my pdoc in a little more than a week and I will notify/discuss him of my decision. Wish me luck.

Last edited by Mod-S4; 09-30-2012 at 02:25 AM. Reason: Posts merged.

Old 12-29-2009, 04:54 PM   #14
(female)

Hey Koolguy, I wish you much luck! You're very observant, which is an excellent quality. I'm rooting for you!

Old 12-29-2009, 10:51 PM   #15
(male)

koolguy HB User
I think ideally I shouldn't look for a solution like taking the same drug twice a day, but rather a different drug to specifically treat that ailment. So I will also ask my pdoc for a specific drug to alleviate my particular ailment, in addition to schizophrenia. I don't know for sure if invega can treat my scary feeling episodes, or not. I don't even know if they are pre-psychotic symptoms or anxiety attacks. I don't even know exactly what I'm suffering from. Anyways, for now all I can do is to take invega once in the morning and once at 5PM. So that's what I have done now for two days.

I haven't had one since 26th Dec which is 5 days ago! This is a small milestone cus' I used to get one every 4 days sometimes. But I will wait until 4th Jan which then it will be 11 days since the last one. If I don't have any since that time, that is. I hope my new drug regimen will work its magic Oh yeah, and I will see my pdoc soon after that to discuss about this.
---
Last night (31/12/09) I had another one that lasted for 6.5 hours(score 7/24). That is pretty normal duration for this kind of episode. This one was the first one after I took invega twice in a day, so it is disappointing that my new drug regimen did not prevent another attack. I'm not sure what it is I'm suffering from but there are two broad components. First is unpleasant feelings like scary feelings or creepy feelings or feeling like my body is not my own or feeling like someone is behind me. The second more lethal part involves compulsions. Extreme nervousness is involved and every second I formulate a reaction in my head that has an emotive part to it and often I suffer from violent terrible thoughts which are compulsions. The second part is worst because of this. Higher dosage just made me more drowsy or sleepy but did not significantly increase the severity of the attacks. So I will just keep it to once a day 6 mg until I see my pdoc at 19/01/10. I mistakenly thought I will see him in a week but no.

As for solution, I will ask my pdoc to subscribe me an additional drug in addition to invega, possible an antidepressant.
---
I believe I just need to solve the compulsions and nervousness problem, then I would be sweet.
---
From 2/1/10 I decided to stop taking invega althogether. So far I'm feeling OK after a few days.

Last edited by Mod-S4; 09-30-2012 at 02:26 AM. Reason: Posts merged.

Closed Thread