It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Schizophrenia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2009, 12:48 AM   #1
(female)

rubytoldme HB User
Schizophrenia without the hallucinations?

Hello,

I was recently put on an antipsychotic, risperidone, for paranoia. After two months of treatment, they still haven't pegged me down with a diagnosis, but during one of my visits to the ER, one of the doctors asked me if schizophrenia runs in my family; so what do you know... Now I'm beginning to wonder if that could be my "problem".

Fortunately, I do not have hallucinations... but I do have delusions and severe paranoia. The delusions and paranoia was the main reason why I ran to the ER to get medicated.

A history of things:
When I was still religious (I am currently an atheist) and fourteen years old, I believed that I was a prophet and that I had to led people. I thought that GOD chosen me and that I could easily control the weather. I thought that birds could understand me, etc. Once I stopped being religious, these feelings went away... But that led to an increase in paranoia.

That started with me believing that everyone was talking about me and saying mean things to me; it eventually increased to me believing that my family is plotting to murder me. I became so terrified that I would lock myself in my room. I also believed that people were reading my mind and laughing at me. And that some unseen force was controlling my thoughts. With all of this, my mother complained that I was overly emotional and I had highs and lows. She said that, quote: "sometimes I would just walk around with a glassed look on my face, and I didn't know what to do." She also told me eventually that she was afraid that one day she'll wake up and I'll be standing over her with a knife. I was never aware that I was in such a bad "place" and appeared that way to people. I wish that she told me earlier. I also had a bad temper and would just snap. So I did have some mood swings.

I suspect that it's bipolar I, but I am unable to sleep because now I'm curious. Luckily, the medication is working wonderfully and I am able to think clearly--I had problems with racing thoughts--thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-23-2009, 12:03 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

AuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB User
Re: Schizophrenia without the hallucinations?

Symptoms of the two disorders do overlap. Ask your Pdoc for a lithium script, in addition to your risperidone, see if it helps.

Risperidone is used for BP1 as well as schizophrenia.

Old 11-23-2009, 11:25 PM   #3
(female)

rubytoldme HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuntieLeela View Post
Symptoms of the two disorders do overlap. Ask your Pdoc for a lithium script, in addition to your risperidone, see if it helps.

Risperidone is used for BP1 as well as schizophrenia.
I suspect that it is indeed BP1; I checked my diagnosis and my psychiatrist wrote down mood disorder and psychosis.

Old 11-24-2009, 09:45 PM   #4
(female)

armyofone0508 HB User

i have schizo-affective, which is a combo of schizophrenia and bipolar. lithium works wonders for all the stuff risperdone doesn't take care. used to take risperdone but it caused too much weight gain, now take invega, the longer lasting version of risperdone, and it's much better. be careful on lithium, though. it can zap your thyroid.
Anxiety

Meds:
Adderall XR, 30mg/2x a day

My sweet baby boy was born: July 12, 2010
~*RJ*~

Old 12-02-2009, 09:15 PM   #5
(male)

8800GTS HB User
hey

Hey there - thanks for posting your personal issues on here. It helps to know that people are ready and willing to ask for help. This is what we're hear to do. Remain true to yourself and keep being honest.

Anyways - I won't tell you what I think you have (Diagnosis..) Because it is unimportant. What, "IS," important... Are your symptoms... Try concentrating on the symptoms - not the diagnosis... If you continue to think about the diagnosis and not the actual symptoms - you will forget to work on the things that are actually bothering you.

As far as I'm concerned - theres a high possibility that what you've experienced is psychosis.. However - psychosis can and does happen to anyone - at any given time; without any specific reason... Sometimes it just happens. Other times - its motivated by deep anguish - personal issues that are neglected through some form of denial... The whole, "Oh, I don't have issues, I'm not crazy," type thing...

Truth is - everyone has issues. Its just a matter of each of us, "as individuals," coming to terms with our own personal issues - and learning to ACCEPT them - not FIGHT them... The sooner you realize - that your symptoms are a part of you - the sooner you can begin to feel better. The best thing that you could do - is gain insight into your own symptoms. Learn to catch them while they happen, so that you can then - and only then - prevent any further similar symptoms from arising. Regardless if you're taking medications or seeing therapists - they aren't always going to save you when things start going sideways. You gotta learn to live with your own symptoms...

One thing I could suggest - don't read too much on the internet. If you're going to research - ask people on here. (ironic, I know - its still the internet lol) I would be glad to share all the knowledge that I know - which isn't much. There ARE people; who know ALOT - and they love to help people come to a better understanding of what it is we're dealing with when we say, "mental illness..." Truthfully - no matter how much knowledge you gain - from reading, writing, etc... You will never truly know - what mental illness is all about; until you've felt it for yourself... Sounds to me - like you have. Realize that its a part of you, that there is no cure, that its going to get worse if you let it. You just gotta find a way to deal with it the best you can; with what you have. And that starts with ACCEPTING the symptoms, not the diagnosis.

Just like the other people mentioned - usually these symptoms run hand in hand with eachother... There is schizophrenia, bipolar 1, bipolar 2, clythomia (Or something like that), Schizoaffective disorder. Most of the symptoms are the same - aside from the fact that bipolar is centered around moods - whereas schizophrenia is centered more around psychosis / psychotic symptoms.

All I'm trying to say is - don't get caught up on the diagnosis, it isn't worth it. The answer lies with learning to deal with your symptoms - not with the category that your symptoms fall under. Afterall - they're pretty much treated the same way by psychiatrists, aside from a few minor differences like mood stabalizers.

I wish you the best in finding answers to your problems. Just know - they don't always lie in the same place(s)...

Thanks,
8800gts

Last edited by 8800GTS; 12-02-2009 at 09:20 PM.

Closed Thread