It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Schizophrenia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2009, 12:34 PM   #1
(female)

kathyIS54 HB User
anti-depressant and seroquel

Is any one taking a dose of anti depressant along with seroquel?

My son is on 1000mg of seroquel and has a hard time getting motavated in the mornings and is very quiet most days.
I suspect he is slipping into depression again, he made a comment

" I wish I could go on a wee bit of an antidepressant just to feel like doing things again"

He will soon be moving to take part in an early intervention phycosic program, where he will be totally reevaluated, so I have held off talking to his DR. about what he said.

Any comment of experience regarding this would be nice.
Kathy

Old 12-27-2009, 02:31 PM   #2
(female)

ahhchoo HB User
Re: anti-depressant and seroquel

Hi,

It's hard with Seroquel because it's so sedating and you wake up tired in the morning. Your son is on a pretty big dose, so I'm sure he's feeling pretty tired in the mornings, which isn't helping him feel more motivated. Just make sure your son doesn't drink alcohol while he's on it because that makes the tiredness way worse.

I take 50mg/day of Paxil and it helps with my depression issues, such as motivation, but my schizophrenia plays a role in my motivation level, too. I generally can tell what is causing my lack of motivation...depression or schizophrenia. If I feel it's depression related, I'll talk to my doctor about it and then my antidepressant might be adjusted. Likewise, if I think it's schizophrenia related, my antipsychotics will be adjusted. I try to jump on it right away because it can cause a lot of problems. I tend to do nothing at all...just sit around like a lump and it irritates people around me, I get bad grades in school, I don't eat very much, don't clean the house, etc. It can get bad really fast.

Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-27-2009, 08:18 PM   #3
(female)

kathyIS54 HB User

ahhchoo thanks for your reply, it makes sense about the seroquel being so sadating, His mornings are bad like a zombie, so if he does not get up early enough, eat and be alert I will not allow him to use my car to go to hockey. He plays about 3 times a week and that is the only thing that get him going, other mornings, I beg him to force himself to get up, he can stay in bed for an hour or more after waking, and I'm never sure if it is the meds or depression.
Like you say people around get mad, from my point of view, I go to work, come home cook and clean while he is just doing what ever he wants all day, it gets a bit hard to take after awhile, but that is one area his mental health workers are working on to be more involved with the household chores, skills he needs to have to be independant.
It is very hard to understand at times, but both of us have to make more of an effort I guess, I'm not willing to give up on him and let him sit and get fat and out of shape and he needs to think of it from my point of view, I'm 55 he is 22 I'm tired and need help around here.
Not to sound like it is about me, I just need to know what is worth spending my energy on and what is not I suppose.

Kathy

Old 12-27-2009, 11:11 PM   #4
(female)

ahhchoo HB User

I imagine it's hard for you. I don't know how to answer your question, but I can tell you what I'm experiencing and maybe that will help you.

I only see it from one side...my side...the person who's sitting on the couch like a lump. People in my household get mad at me because they don't understand how I can spend all day doing my own thing when there are dishes to be done, clothes to be washed, rabbits to be fed, etc. They don't understand that I have no motivation and that I just absolutely do not care. If I'm not showering for a week at a time, what makes them think I care whether the kitchen is clean?

Someone will tell me, "Fold the laundry", "The rabbits need to be fed", etc. It really, really irritates me. Normally I'm ok, but when I'm having issues with my schizophrenia, it's hard for me to control my irritation and it shows in my behavior. Supposedly that's why I take a mood-stabilizer, but it doesn't seem to be doing anything now.

I know people are trying to help me. And I imagine they're getting frustrated with me, just as you're getting frustrated with your son. I do have my moments where I help a little...they're short-lived and I take advantage of them.

I have no idea if that's useful to you. I hope it is and maybe it gives a little insight into what your son might be feeling. Please post again if you have other questions or want more information.

Good luck.

Old 12-28-2009, 09:35 AM   #5
(female)

kathyIS54 HB User

Thanks once again that was really helpful, and I sure reconize some of the traits you brought up. He seems to have days when he takes it upon himself to walk his dog, if I ask him to unload the dishwasher, he does with no hessitation, other days he will keep saying, yep I will, but never does. Or he will do his laundry and let it sit, go to bed with no sheets, they are sitting clean in the basket. The only time he showers with out being prodded is after hockey games.
so are you saying these are the effects of the illness or the depression, I guess I'm having a hard time figuring out if it is all one package or the Shiztoeffective disorder is under controll with the meds, but he is still suffering from depression.

Hope that makes sense, thanks for your input.
Kathy

Old 12-28-2009, 10:18 AM   #6
(female)

ahhchoo HB User

Hi,

It's really a hard call, as schizophrenia and depression can certainly interact with eachother. For me, it's schizophrenia and not depression. If your son says it's depression, then it probably is. I think your son is a good judge of what's going on. He's been through it before and can identify what's causing what...I'd trust him. I'm not sure when he'll be moving, but if it's feasible I'd let him try an antidepressant, as it's not very comfortable to live like that.

Good luck.

Old 02-21-2010, 08:28 AM   #7
(female)

kathyIS54 HB User

Hello,
I hope you are still checking in on the boards. My son is now moved into the group home he was pretty happy about finally getting there, a new start, hopefully he will be kept busy with the programs.
He will be under the care of the head of mental health so we'll leave it to him to figure out the lack of motovation, if it is an issue there. I think at home it may of been more of a feeling of being in limbo, so not much effort was put into anything, maybe.

Thanks again for you insight, it really helped me in understanding what he may be going through within himself.
I hope things are going well for you.

Kathy

Old 02-22-2010, 02:28 PM   #8
(female)

ahhchoo HB User

Hi,

Thanks for the update! I don't check the boards as often anymore, but I check every now and again.

I'm glad to hear that your son is finally getting settled somewhere and is moving forward. You're right, that in itself could make a great impact in his motivation. I never thought of it, but being in limbo could make anyone kind of blah and unmotivated...having lack of motivation due to schizpohrenia doesn't help matters, that's for sure. And separating the two is next to impossible.

Recovery can be slow and sometimes tricky and everyone's travel down the road to recovery is different. My road is a country road that hasn't been paved. (Like my street from childhood. Maybe that's why I travel down it occaisionally...heh.) I hope with my heart of hearts that your son's road is short and well-paved.

I'm doing fine. Funny, I'm taking Seroquel and an antidepressant, too. I also take a mood-stabilizer and stimulant. (For schizoaffective disorder and adhd.)

Wish your son well from me.

Take Care.

Closed Thread