It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Schizophrenia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2009, 07:58 AM   #1
(male)

koolguy HB User
What drug to treat extreme agitation, nervousness, compulsions

I get extremely nervous and agitated and really tense. I get compulsive thoughts like violent thoughts that disturb me very much. After a few hours all of this disappears.

Which drug helps for this? Thanks.

Old 12-31-2009, 08:26 AM   #2
(female)

cerajoan HB Usercerajoan HB User
Re: What drug to treat extreme agitation, nervousness, compulsions

I'm not a doctor but I don't think Invega is the right drug for those symptoms (but I'm not a doctor). Are you taking an antidepressant? Because it sounds like obsessive compulsive anxiety you having and sometimes antidepressants help very much with that. My mom had much like what you're describing and antidepressants helped her a lot.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-31-2009, 10:48 PM   #3
(male)

koolguy HB User

Given that I take invega and before it I did not experience this problem, I think this is definitely akathisia due to invega. Because the side effect is very serious, I think I should stop taking the drug.

Old 12-31-2009, 11:14 PM   #4
(male)

koolguy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerajoan View Post
I'm not a doctor but I don't think Invega is the right drug for those symptoms (but I'm not a doctor). Are you taking an antidepressant? Because it sounds like obsessive compulsive anxiety you having and sometimes antidepressants help very much with that. My mom had much like what you're describing and antidepressants helped her a lot.
I don't think anti-depressants would work. I searched the net and it seems for instance Prozac causes akathisia.

Old 01-01-2010, 10:06 AM   #5
(female)

I don't have akathisia on my antidepressant, Celexa, but I have always struggled with it on anti-psychotics and continually have to have dose changes, drug changes, etc.. With anti-depressants, I always start a low dose for about a week, then increase slowly because it can cause agitation with a high dose in the first week or two, it feels similar to akathisia but not if I start the dose low and slowly increase. But it's nothing like the akathisia of antipsychotics. Everybody is different though but I think a lot of people get akathisia commonly with antipsychotics and only more rarely with antidepressants. But always start antidepressants on a low dose and gradually increase. Not all doctors are aware of this but many are. You're doing great and taking very responsible action, Koolyguy!

Old 01-01-2010, 01:18 PM   #6
(female)

ahhchoo HB User

Doesn't Invega have properties like Abilify? I thought I read that somewhere...and Abilify causes akathisia for a lot of people...so it makes sense that Invega would, too. I tried Abilify and aside from the fact that it did jack squat for me, it caused akathisia for me. It sucked. Zyprexa, Seroquel are the only ones that helped...Clozaril is the best for me, though. I also take an antidepressant and mood-stabilizer. I took Cogentin when I was on other antipsychotics besides Clozaril. I don't know if that makes a difference. I'm not going to try Invega. Good luck.

Old 01-06-2010, 05:24 PM   #7
(male)

koolguy HB User

Ever since stopping invega I don't get akathisia-like symptoms nor do I get obssessive compulsive thoughts. It has been determined by now that they were due to invega. I feel so relieved that I don't need to suffer akathisia and agitation and obssessive compulsive thoughts including violent thoughts like while I was under invega. Now that I'm free from the drug, I am feeling relaxed and I certainly don't have those symptoms.

Old 01-06-2010, 08:03 PM   #8
(female)

That's great Koolguy! I'm very happy for you!

Old 01-07-2010, 12:45 AM   #9
(male)

koolguy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerajoan View Post
That's great Koolguy! I'm very happy for you!
Thanks cerajoan. I'm just waiting until 19th Jan when the cancelled appointment is, and when my pdoc returns from holiday. I hope he doesn't call me and tell me to take medication.

Closed Thread