It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Schizophrenia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2010, 06:19 PM   #1
(female)

AmVan HB User
Punning, Double Meaning - Help?

I have a problem of punning or double meaning sexual words and phrases when I talk to people. Such as, If someone says "bye" to me I automatically think of the word "bi". It's so anxiety provoking. They know I'm doing it because I look so stunned and have a sick look on my face. The words I pun are graphic sexual acts.

I don't know what to do about it. I do this almost always and I avoid going places because of it.

Can anybody give me some affermation or let me know if they've ever gone through this. It first started happening after a psychoic breakdown years ago. Sometimes I think "normal" people do this to a much lesser degree. (My husband kids that my mind is in the gutter.) I'm schizoaffective, have depersonalization and derealization and borderline personalty. In other words, I'm a very confused person.

Please write with support. AmVan

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-17-2010, 02:24 PM   #2
(female)

AmVan HB User
Re: Punning, Double Meaning - Help?

After searching over the boards I think I realize what the problem is. Because I was sexualy abused as a child, I think these are trigger words and I'm reacting to anything that would make me think of the past. As disgusting and freightning it is, I think it's a mild form of PTSD. I also have flashbacks which would indicate this.

Anyway, I just wanted to get that out there in case it might help anybody. Thanks for reading.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-24-2010, 09:45 PM   #3
(female)

kbrand0554 HB User

I was also molested at 12, and a virgin, andat 16, when a guy said something about something in his car being rubber, I automatically thought he was talking about a rubber/ condom. he too noticed the perverse look of embarassment on my face.

Last edited by kbrand0554; 02-24-2010 at 09:45 PM.

Old 02-25-2010, 12:05 PM   #4
(female)

AmVan HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbrand0554 View Post
I was also molested at 12, and a virgin, andat 16, when a guy said something about something in his car being rubber, I automatically thought he was talking about a rubber/ condom. he too noticed the perverse look of embarassment on my face.
It's so difficult. For twenty seven years I blocked it all out and was like a babbling idiot. I've grown a lot after a serious suicide attempt and slowly gathering tools to face these issues. I'm sort of subdued today (meds) but I still have such a difficult time functioning with the double meanings which are constant.

Good luck to you and thanks for telling your story. It's very supporting to me. And I wish you the best in this on-going recovery.

Old 12-01-2010, 05:07 AM   #5
(female)

IQTech HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmVan View Post
After searching over the boards I think I realize what the problem is. Because I was sexually abused as a child, I think these are trigger words and I'm reacting to anything that would make me think of the past. As disgusting and frightening it is, I think it's a mild form of PTSD. I also have flashbacks which would indicate this.

Anyway, I just wanted to get that out there in case it might help anybody. Thanks for reading.
No surprise here. There are many people who have been diagnosed as bipolar or personality disorder who are actually suffering from PTSD.

PTSD can be treated and that treatment can help stop those triggering words. The military has had great success using Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR) to treat PTSD. I have personally benefited from such treatment. Good luck with that.

Closed Thread