Mothers Symptoms-are TICS symptoms of Schizophrenia
I know there are no doctors here, but my mom refuses to get help.
I am trying to narrow down what she may have. She was committed back in 1988 for similar symptoms. She was in the hospital and came out fine for a number of years and was not on any kind of medication. Originally she was diagnosed as bipolar. I do not think that was accurate from what I read.
Fast forward, 15 years later, she started taking care of my grandfather that had cancer and then he died. After that she went downhill.
She lost her job after 15 years because she was not getting along with coworkers. (She is a nurse) They gave her "time off" to get treated. She started to go, but then she went back to work and couldn't perform and they fired her. They did all they could to help her, but her behavior was not conducive to her unit.
Here are her symptoms
1. Very strange tics/uncontrolled movements. She will scribble while sitting at the table all day..just jibberish..she will move her head side to side when she does this. It looks "she is in another world" when she does this. She also "slams" things all of the time. She broke doors, drawers, glass in the dish rack etc. Very bizarre and disturbing behavior.
2. Totally disorganized house. Things/clutter everywhere. The house is a disaster to say the least. She compulsively shops for things on QVC for cleaning/organizing and they will sit in the boxes for months. She never opens them. Her cars are always a disaster-looks like she is hauling garbage-just junk everywhere in the back seatr
3. She rambles about things that do not make sense and have any bearing on the situation
4. Anti-social behavior-she does not talk to any friends or family members other than me(I am an only child) She will hang up on people and you never know how she is going to react.
5. She has let her teeth/appearance go.She has not been to the doctors in a number of years(does not have health insurance) I told her I would pay for it if she would go and she refuses.
I am just trying to find out if you think this is Schizophrenia a or a related disorder I do not think she is bipolar from what I have read.
Any assistance would be appreciated.
Re: Mothers Symptoms-are TICS symptoms of Schizophrenia
I thought I replied.
She was initially diagnosed as bipolar.
That was in 88. She never continued her medication and actually was fine for 10 years until my grandfather passed away-then she started spiraling out of control again. She has gotten worse.
The thing is if she was 302'd before, she should be able to be 302'd again.
However, I think the laws have changed since 1988.
She is not an immediate danger per se, but she is obviously out of it, not well, and is not looking after her health. She is losing her teeth. She is spending unwisely-she is very paranoid about security-put an expensive security system her her house-no one was a victim of a crime and crime is VERY low in our area. It is irrational.
She is going to be 60 in April. I need to try to move on with my life.
I hate to just let her go, but if I can't force her to get help or make her get help, I may just have to do that. The bad thing is I am an only child.
No one else to help out with her.