It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Schizophrenia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2010, 12:01 PM   #1
(female)

mes219 HB User
All just a big bunch of garbage with medication

I think that the doctors dont know what exactly the medicine does for people with schizophrenia. I think it just dulls the brain. ever since I have been on the medication I havent been able to enjoy things or really get into anything much for very long. It sucks and I am tried of being on the medication.
I think if I can prove to myself that I have the power to live a normal life.
(without medication) So what if I am half crazy. As long as it doesnt affect my happiness I think I'll be fine. I want to retrain my brain to live again without all this medicine. I have a fear that there are long long term side-affect from these medicines. I am on a bunch and today I have decided to stop taking them all.... To me it is depressing just knowing I have to take pills to "soposedly" survive. Everyonoe in my life think's i'll lose my sanity off my medicine. So what...does that mean.? OH yeah, anyone ever think of
why we are here? Living on this earth? And how civilization is BAD?
Humans were meant to live off the land. Humans were meant to hunt for food.
And if so die because of the way survival works. If one is sick or something is wrong with them they would just die. Do you ever think of that? Our world is over populated as it is because of MEDICATION. Well and the evils of government and money.

Anyone agree? Anyone disagree? Share if you will. It would be nice knowing
I'm not the only one who feels this way. or that I have to take a bunch of "meds" to be "normal" it's sickening!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-28-2010, 12:54 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

friendsville HB User
Re: All just a big bunch of garbage with medication

My gut feel is that you are not on the correct medication,if they give you so much
trouble.Perhaps a second or third opinion is your answer.I don't know if your illness can be treated without medication.I could not do without, with my nervous breakdowns.I now have lonliness, since my wife died some three years ago.I don't seem to be able to find peace of mind,even with medications.I was born with a pretty face,and it has been nearly impossible to have this not a factor,in my relations with society.Everyone wants a macho man to be seen with.I was married
for a long time,and I was indeed lucky to have that. Please try to get some help.
I will pray for you on this. The best for you in your battle to survive. Bill

Old 03-28-2010, 01:21 PM   #3
(female)

jellybread HB Userjellybread HB Userjellybread HB User

There's no cure of course. The meds are suppose to lessen the symptoms so that we can live life easier. But most meds give me more side effects to make my life more nastier as we can all relate to. I think if one can deal with the sypmtoms without messing the life more with meds is awesome, I haven't been able to do that though. Some days I really need the meds to mush up my brain before I kill myself. Other days I don't want my brain mushed up but because withdrawal is bad, I have no choice since bad days are more than good days I opt to just take the meds anyways and have a mushy brain all the time! But I hear you and feel your pain also with meds!

Old 03-28-2010, 02:38 PM   #4
(female)

cerajoan HB Usercerajoan HB User

I have difficulty feeling enjoyment or interest in things -- antipsychotic medication does this, also physical agitation drives me nuts sometimes, I hate it. I have a suggestion for you though, if you've been on alot of medication for awhile, don't try and stop all of a sudden because there can be terrible effects from withdrawing too fast.

Old 03-29-2010, 04:33 AM   #5
(female)

mes219 HB User

Thanks for the reply posts. I indeed have stoped taking my meds. For the
last 36 hours now I believe. Doctors gave me a diagnosis of paraniod schizophrenia some 3 years ago, just to clue everyone in on what the battle is and why I am on medication.
I basically feel that everyone has the right to decide what works best for them. I am in no way against meds for people who do not feel in my personal belief that you can over come schizophrenia alone. I have support however but only the few in my life who do...would like to see me ON the meds.
They are just worried about my sanity. I am trying to decide if I like the world without my meds just alittle bit better.

Thanks again for the posts.

Old 03-30-2010, 03:36 PM   #6
(female)

Lonely810810 HB User

I have schizoaffective disorder.Which is pretty much a mixture of everything.I have been hospitalized around 8 times due to being a medication rebel.I feel like this for you that you are on all these meds and you have now noticed you are ok with life not many hallucinations sleeping well.A little tired run down,but think in a rational mind which it is hard since we are mentally ill,that the little side effects from these meds <to me> are worth not dealing with the constant paranoia and hearing these awful things,seeing dead people staring at me sleepless nights spending money I don't have not bathing for a couple days,thinking people are conspiring against me,etc heck I could go on for a whole page more.I "used" to fight the meds also.Until my doctor told me to rationalize the outcome of being off them.To me the postives highly out weigh the negatives in taking meds.Maybe I am wrong to assume this is how you feel but that is where I am coming from so in this case with what WE have meds are the only option for me anyways.Maybe you need a new doctor or different meds.I know you're off meds now but just consider what I wrote and think to yourself if it makes any sense.Thankyou and good luck

Old 03-31-2010, 01:23 PM   #7
(female)

mes219 HB User

Lonely, What are you trying to say? Because I am well awear of how bad it could get off my meds. It just depresses me to think I need this X amount of pills to live a half normal life. I want to prove it wrong. Or maybe I am ready to be off my medicine. I have been on them exspept off of them for a couple of time over the past 3 or 4 years now. Back when I was first diagnosed I was using cocaine and weed alot. I now strongly do not believe in doing drugs for any reason at all. Thank god.

The point I am trying to make here is isnt it depressing knowing you gotta take these ******* pills to LIVE. I am not sure what exactly is going to come back. I tend to believe it changes form in how I am feeling and who I am feeling that certain way towards. I have never been a very social person and am still not. However I have one good friend who doesn't want to see me get the way I got shortly before being in the hospital for the very first time. (The typical sympts of schizophrenia.)

I just want to believe I"ll be fine without the meds this time. I am sick of the side affects and want to be free from taking them.

All we really want is to be normal, but when deep down we don't even know what normal is. -

Last edited by moderator2; 04-03-2010 at 07:35 AM. Reason: quote

Old 04-03-2010, 06:36 AM   #8
(female)

Lonely810810 HB User

I guess I am saying that being off and on with ur meds is like russian roulette.You don't know when its going to explode.You do whatever you want what I guess I was trying to explain was how I feel when I get off meds.If you feel better and you don't have a bad reaction then do whatever you please but for me the effects of not taking my meds are much greater than taking them.As far as the normal part I don't really think anyone is normal.Good luck with your fight.I know how hard it is to maintain a balance.I still think u need a new doctor!

Old 04-04-2010, 10:54 AM   #9
(female)

mes219 HB User

Thanks for the insight. I believe if one needs medication then go for it. However I think there is more to be said with dealing with one's own problems without medication may help in learning more about how to control the symptoms. I have been off all of my meds since march 28th. I have been feeling fine for the most part. I honestly think I can do this without medication. I believe that I will be more in tune with what is going on inside my brain without the medication there dulling it. Psychiatrists do not even know exactly what the medication does. And there is no proof that it really does do "anything". I am just speaking for my own personal beliefs. I think everyone that has been diagnosed should question this sort of thing. I am not saying everyone should just stay sick. I am saying figure out what in your life ...whether it is in the past or present..to look at it from all angles and figure out what is preventing personal happiness. The power of the brain is that it can fix it's self. I would give an example but right now I don't know of anything that would help other than just to say it as I am. I don't believe it is a disease and it certainly isnt a dysfunctional brain or should I say disabled brain. For all those people out there whom are told they have a mental illness or for example schizophrenia since this is a schizophrenia board... Our brains work just like EVERYONE else's. IT is just an individuals problem within their brain that is causing the whatever it may be of "mental symptoms". Don't you guys realize that psychiatry is just all about MONEY? They claim to help but all they do is diagnoise to give more and more medication to do what??? When as I said before..they don't even know what it does. So they over medicate you and over diagnosis you just for the BIG BIG bucks they make in doing so.
I think I've said enough. However I am curious to see if anyone agrees/disagrees or can see it for themselfs? These are the same people (the filed of psychitarty) who drilled holes in our brains and put us in staright jackets. ! I strongly believe in the individual not the illness or stereo type. I currently have a psychiatrist and plan to tell her all of this.
I hope my message here isnt too disturbing. I dunno. I guess I hope there is people out there who feel the way I do about medication and doctors. I am not saying they are bad or bad for the health. But there is alot of them out there who are just in it for the money and I think people should be awear of that. For example I was brutely raped when I was 19. I cannot take a pill to take away the pain nor can I take a pill to take away the flashbacks. I believe the doctors thought I was schizophrenic because I did lose my mind afterwards. But to say that pills and more pills will cure anything is to me beyond nonesense. I have to deal with that nearly or atleast every day. And trying to stay in reality is hard. with or without medication. I will stop rambling now.

Old 04-07-2010, 06:43 PM   #10
(female)

mes219 HB User

Thanks everyone. I know there are alot of people on here who strongly believe in taking their meds. Thanks Bill for you're kind words and for praying for me. !

I've been off the all the medication since march 28th. I have felt fine other than feeling the meds wear off. My creativity is back. I'm so happy. I can enjoy things now! hurray.
NO symptoms..nothing. I feel back to my self again.
I have a doc's apt on the 20th and plan to tell her what I think. No I do not believe I need a new doctor.
I used to think that. But Now I don't even need medication. I have two therapists and thats all for now.
Never again will I take medication because of doctors not know what or how it works or that they have no
proof of mental illness..especially schizophrenia. Hope I haven't offended or made anyone mad with these posts.
My intention was just to get people thinking. I hope everyone understands that.

Last edited by mes219; 04-07-2010 at 06:47 PM. Reason: need to clear up and add a few things.

Old 05-28-2010, 12:50 AM   #11
(male)

jayn HB User

I'm not a believer of medication as a treatment for schizophrenia myself. It just sounds like some lofty attempt to cure a severe disorder by slowing down the brain and its system. I mean all of these current meds work on inhibiting dopamine receptors or whatnot. But the fact that its causing other problems like obesity only adds to the fact that theres nothing wrong with a schizophrenic's increased nervous transmission. Slowing down impulse transmissions is causing the body to metabolize at a slower rate. By all means disregard what I said if the medication is benefiting those with already sufficiently high metabolism to ignore the unfortunate side effects.

But yeah I just don't understand why researchers are so focused on just these specific areas of the brain. Maybe it's time to turn our fields of vision to other areas aside of nerve impulse/receptors/and all that related stuff? If it was as simple as just one "track" of the brain being affected, we'd all be cured by now. Could it be that schizophrenic's have higher levels of dopamine activity because of stimulus from voices in the brain, thereby leading to increased brain activity (more thoughts). Now say a very normal individual was being experimented on where a group of real people, one-by-one would talk to the normal individual non-stop, triggering questions that focus on the individuals self-esteem and other stuff that would invoke a reply in the individual. Would this not lead to increased brain activity and frustration in the normal individual? So by taking medications, are we not hurting ourselves by taking something that we do not need to take?

I realize that medication does work for some people, and it has helped relentlessly in another's effort to find peace of mind. But the treatment itself has problems. I realized that when the thoughts are less frequent, the voices are too. So could it be that by decreasing impulse transmission and therefore thoughts, the voices are hindered. But they are still there? Hence called a treatment. But with the large number of side effects, is it really worth it? It just doesn't seem to be addressing the real problem: schizophrenia itself. It's like using all of these side effects to mask the voices.

Just a huge rant, sorry about that. Just getting frustrated that researchers are still focused on the same garbage and it looks like things arn't really looking up.

Last edited by jayn; 05-28-2010 at 12:59 AM.

Old 11-28-2010, 08:31 PM   #12
(female)

lxx HB User

Your questions tell me that you have not experienced the worst of schizophrenia. I am unable to think logically when I am off my meds. I get strange stories in my head that doesn't make sense and I believe them. I do strange things and put myself in out in the streets. I have been rescued several times by the police and placed in mental hospitals. Once I am back on my meds, I realize it was all hallucinations and I start to act normal and think logically. On geodon 20 mg twice a day, the side effects has been numerous but it is better than being out in the streets without food and shelter.

Old 11-29-2010, 09:56 AM   #13
(male)

hathada HB User

The meds are pretty bad. By the time I was put on Risperdal for the first time, I was beyond repair. It's stupid, in my mind, that psychiatrists think treating existential despair and emptiness with pills is going to stop the fact that the world we live in can only be approached from a virtually empty lack of inherent existence. I don't think that the world doesn't exist. I know it does. I'm just saying, from a very logical standpoint, that human's relate to the world on an almost purely perceptual basis. In this sense, our experience is not truly real. We exist, but our consciousness...anyway, blah, blah, blah...

My point is, that when I was put on Risperdal, it was too late for me. I spent the next four years gradually trying every anti-psychotic out there.

I definitely think mental hospitals are key. I'm assuming the rise of the pill came about as mental hospital workers noticed a calming effect on the residents with certain chemicals. If you've ever been in a hardcore mental hospital, there are some pretty aggressive and difficult people. The drugs are seriously needed, in some cases. The HUGE mistake was too develop the pill into the be-all end-all solution.

I'm on an anti-psychotic that I can't get off. That's how it is for me. The pill DOES nothing, but I CAN'T stop taking it, because the withdrawal puts me into a total catatonia.

So, I think; forget about traveling, forget about doing anything spontaneous...cause I need to be within three miles of my local pharmacy. Otherwise, I'm a complete catatonic after two or three weeks off the drug. And it's not even a very serious drug. It's just seroquel.

Anyway, like I said, the mental hospitals are good. When people get really sick, they're going to need the support and care of these places. The meds...? Bad idea. Early prevention. Bad idea. Let the freaking sickness take it's curse. I've heard, the worse it gets -the better the recovery. In other words, trying to slow down a sickness that refuses to stop, just interrupts its way of doing things. People end up half crazy their whole lives, instead of just totally crazy for eight or ten years, and then back to very healthy and capable.

Schizophrenia is a very important kind of illness. It's like the chicken pox in a way. Some people just need to get it. It makes you stronger. Schitz is just the spiritual remedy for the isolated person. Sad truth is some don't recover, but that's natural selection for you.

Anyhow, drugs in general are just horrible. ADHD???!!! Come on! Over active kids!!?? Medicate!? Kid's are overactive. They don't want to do school. And yes, what the hell do these chemists really know about what these drugs are doing. It's truly dangerous stuff, like playing God, or dropping atom bombs. It's screwing society bad. Almost everyone is on SOME kind of pharmaceutical. Is it all a part of some very big companies making a LOT of money. Oh yes. The whole culture of pill-taking creates a huge market. And chemists will be pushing as many pills as they can create. Ridiculous, the things on TV:

"Side effects may include -death, blindness, heart-attack. Enjoy eating greasy foods again with "VAGABOND".

Poo.

-hathada

Last edited by hathada; 11-29-2010 at 10:02 AM.

Old 11-30-2010, 10:24 PM   #14
(male)

koolguy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mes219 View Post
Thanks for the reply posts. I indeed have stoped taking my meds. For the
last 36 hours now I believe. Doctors gave me a diagnosis of paraniod schizophrenia some 3 years ago, just to clue everyone in on what the battle is and why I am on medication.
I basically feel that everyone has the right to decide what works best for them. I am in no way against meds for people who do not feel in my personal belief that you can over come schizophrenia alone. I have support however but only the few in my life who do...would like to see me ON the meds.
They are just worried about my sanity. I am trying to decide if I like the world without my meds just alittle bit better.

Thanks again for the posts.
mes218, i hope you recover from anhedonia due to meds.

Old 12-03-2010, 11:32 AM   #15
(female)

Selah123 HB User

I understand how you feel- as far as mind-altering meds... and how they are pushed so easily on basically anyone that goes to the psychiatrist. They give the same line to every new patient. They say, "You look depressed." Then when you hear them say it, you begin to feel it. Even just to see a psychologist and vent about problems and issues. After a time, they really don't want to hear it, and if you don't assert yourself, they will issue a referral to the psyc- with no hesitation. Thank goodness, though, for meds when it is absolutely necessary. I just hope the psychiatrists will be genuine and stop pushing the drugs on everyone. Not everyone needs it. There are foods like fish, eggs, blueberries, which are excellent foods for the brain and it balances the neurotransmitters in the brain naturally. And it's very inexpensive. Although I'm on meds, the thing that is really helping me to think clearly are eggs, fish oil, and blueberries. I take them every day. My spiritual food is an absolute must as well- in order for sound mind, spiritual strength and endurance. It also keeps intrusive thoughts at bay. I hope things get better.

Closed Thread