It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Schizophrenia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2010, 11:26 AM   #1
(male)

jdinsd22 HB User
alter ego = schizophrenic??????

I have a very close friend that I met a year ago while traveling in abroad in South America. I met her and she introduced her self as a doctor with a very lavish life story (but believable) from italy. I traveled with this girl for 10 months and we grew very close.

Upon returning to the states I have since found out that the girl had created an alternate identity (the doctor from italy). It turns out that she is from a very poor area in Argentina with no ties to Europe other than living there for 2 years working in restaurants. As I traveled with this girl at no times did i feel threatened she never attempted to rob or steal from me she actually was very loving and giving and we split all travel costs 50/50. She had some mood swings but nothing different from other girls i have dated. She never seemed to be confused in her mind and the lies came out so easy and with great detail.

When I confronted her about the identity change and that I no longer wanted to be in touch with her she attempted suicide. Later after I found that she was ok she informed me that she has been diagnosed with schizophrenia was given a drug clonazepam from a doctor. She told me that she can not help the lies and she created this other ego recently when she returned to Argentina from Spain. I have since confirmed with friend in Spain that she was living as the girl from Argentina.

However she seems to be in a very vulnerable state, she claims to be almost homeless with no family or place to go. She states that she grew up as a orphan and was on her own very young. She wants help and is not looking for money from me. I am a little floored by this sudden truth because her lies were so elaborate and detailed, she even fooled friends of mine that are educated in the medical field that she was a doctor. She is very intelligent but claims to have had little schooling. i am very confused now if these new stories are even true or if these characteristics are signs of a schizophrenic. I have gone back and she has told me her entire life story which seems to fit. She has even giving me names of people to verify the truth for her. I know she seems like a dangerous person but I feel horrible leaving someone (if the new stories are true) who is so alone and in a state of depression and suicidal. I am in the states now so all i can offer her is support through telephone or emails.

I am hoping someone here can first tell me if this sounds like a schizophrenic or if anyone has every experienced such a person with these types of characteristics. She knows that she lies but says that she can not help it.

Any advice or ways to help her find help would be greatly appreciated.

concerned,

Jdinsd22

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-02-2010, 02:31 AM   #2
(female)

LIFECHANGES21 HB User
Re: alter ego = schizophrenic??????

Tell you the truth it sounds a lot like what i am going through but without the lies she needs to see a real doctor does it seem like she is two different people if so she could have a alter ego that's changes very often. It has taken me a long time to realize that all she can do is try to stay focused on the real her. But i will tell you its not easy and does not happen over night . That is the best advice i can give. Hope it helped a little bit

Old 04-07-2010, 02:31 PM   #3
(female)

untraceable HB User

Of the schizophrenics I know, none of them have this compulsive lying. She definitely needs help. She could be a pathological liar, or she could have been delusional and actually believed what she was saying. If she really does have schizophrenia, then I doubt that the drug clonazepam (klonopin) would be the only one used. Klonopin is a benzodiazepine, meaning it reduces anxiety, and really doesn't help schizophrenia very much at all. I'm on it, but I take something else for my schiz. A doctor would most likely prescribe an antipsychotic.
I don't know if you can trust her.
She might have thought you wouldn't like her if she told the truth. If she had a traumatic childhood, she might have wanted to create an alter ego.

Old 04-20-2010, 11:15 AM   #4
(male)

dvchris HB User

I would agree that she would not be on Clonazepam unless it was emergency treatment because she was off her head/acutely anxious or suicidal and needed tranquilising. It's not usually a 'maintenance treatment' for any mental disorder as it's addictive

I agree it sounds like compulsive/pathalogical lying (which is a genuine mental disorder).

Perhaps a personality disorder too..

Closed Thread