It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Schizophrenia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2010, 05:42 PM   #1
(male)

mazurekjeff HB User
Just Lost Job...What Should I Do?

I was diagnosed with schizophrenia 10 years ago when I was 21. I have had up and downs throughout the years and I just lost my job.

I am going to have to figure out what to do and need help. I am really nervous as to what I am going to do.

The real big thing I am worried about is a change in medication. Has anyone here been through a medication change and what made it hard and what made it more easy?

My paycheck is gone and I am looking for more affordable medication.

Any help is appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-16-2010, 10:38 PM   #2
(female)

starfield HB User
Re: Just Lost Job...What Should I Do?

hello mazurekjeff,

sorry to hear about your job loss. I know it must be tough. For about two years I was living on SSI . SSI is for people with disability who have never paid into the social security system. SSDI is for people with disability who have worked in the past. You might be able to get SSDI for help with your income.

as far as medication goes haloperidol is just as good a drug as the newer antipsychotics and only costs $6 at walmart with a prescription. I have to take it with benztropine, the generic version of cogentin. It works well for me. I also take some herbal meds like passionflower, skullcap, and others. They help me to feel calm and sleep at night most of the time, but they are not cheap

I don't know if this has helped but I hope you will find your way.

starfield

Last edited by starfield; 07-16-2010 at 10:39 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-19-2010, 09:55 PM   #3
(male)

Demian38 HB User
Re: Just Lost Job...What Should I Do?

mazurekjeff- I am very sorry to hear of your job loss. I too am in transition from another job. I have held over 20 different jobs since 1988. Thats almost one job a year. I was also diagnosed with Schizophrenia back in 2003.

I currently take Abilify and Celexa for my condition. Before that I was on Abilify and Paxil but, like a fool, I abruptly stopped taking all my mental health meds. Big mistake. But in away, it was a blessing, I have fewer side affects with this combination. So it was bad I stopped taking them but I ended up with better meds.

I was going to also suggest looking into Walmart. Ask your doctor if there is something equivalent to what your taking now, that might be more affordable.
Good luck!

Demian

Closed Thread