It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Schizophrenia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2010, 10:43 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

Cres HB User
Smile I cut down the dosage on my med from 2 mg down to .5 mg

I was diagnosed with sz 1 year ago. I am on medicine 2 mg of risperidone for 8-9 months but i feel blank in mind and my menstruation stop and I loose libido and constipation it look like I am zombie. That is why my husband decided to cut down my med from 2 down to 1 mg. My mind is not blank, I am talkative, my menstruation is back and my libido its a bit back too. I feel happy, nice person, and helpful to others and I have reality. In fact I was the bridge with the 2 relationship.

After a year I decided to try to cut down the dosage from 1 mg to .5 mg of risperidone. I feel the same happy and contented, have reality, and helpful my libido is back and my menstruation is back too. But every day my husband observe me if I will become worst or not. It look like I am back to normal again.

My husband said to me I will try to stop the medicine and see what happen. But I am scared to stop my med because many of this board has a problems. I dont want to return from scratch. To me risperidone is miracle. After 1 year of risperidone the side effects was gone. I think my body learned to adopted it. I know how to handle anxiety and stress now. I keep exercises every day to reduce my sugar, cholesterol, prolactine, and will become slim again because I gain weight and etc. After exercises I felt nice and happy, now I am slim and sexy again.

The Following User Says Thank You to Cres For This Useful Post:
nadialiu (08-02-2011)
Old 09-15-2010, 03:03 PM   #2
(female)

Narutwit HB User
Re: I cut down the dosage on my med from 2 mg down to .5 mg

If you don't mind taking it then you shouldn't stop

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-18-2010, 01:48 PM   #3
(female)

Selah123 HB User

It has seemed, for myself, that once I got on the meds, I got stuck on the meds- with no escape from them. I hope that you will have a way out from the meds and do exceedingly well as you have spoken about.
I've shared with others that the natural neurotransmitters seem to do the job for me better than the meds. I feel no positive results from the meds....I'm speaking for myself. If this is your first time weaning from the meds, I hope you can bail away from it successfully. When I tried to wean off of them, I believe I had the opportunity for escape, but I didn't go for it. I just kept taking the small amount. But then, I fell into an episode, which revealed to me that it was some form of witchcraft- when the meds aren't taken properly. Then they had me again and now I'm hoping for a way out yet again. Those mind altering drugs are heavy stuff. And the mind is deep. I'm hoping for an escape away from them too. As soon as I can, I'm getting off of them with no return. Again, I hope it works out for you.

Old 11-28-2010, 08:10 PM   #4
(female)

lxx HB User

I've learned that I cannot live without the meds. I tried many times to get off of meds. I wound up in mental hospitals every time. The side effects of meds can be so awful - sometimes painful. Truly unbearable. It's like living in constant state of hell. When I finally got on 20 mg of geodon twice a day, I was able to live. The side effects still exist but it's not as bad as others. I've learned that staying on minimal dosage is the key. Another problem is that it cost too much -$511 per month to stay on geodon. I'm hoping when its generic comes out in 3 years, I will be able to switch. I pray everyday that the generic is as effective and comes with bareable side effects.

Old 12-03-2010, 09:31 AM   #5
(female)

Selah123 HB User

lxx wrote: "The side effects of meds can be so awful - sometimes painful. Truly unbearable. It's like living in constant state of hell. When I finally got on 20 mg of geodon twice a day, I was able to live."

Hello,

Can you share some more of what aweful and painful side effects you were getting? I'm experiencing some horrible side effects with Seroquel, however that is the better med. The other ones were worse. I do get relief sometimes, however, I feel that there's absolutely no hope for complete relief.

Old 12-05-2010, 05:39 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Cres HB User

Hello guys, thank you very much for all the responses. On my first email on this board, I said I was scared to stop my medicine because of the reason that maybe my sz will come back again. But my husband explained it all to me why I have to try to quite he said nothing to worry because I think my brain can handle it. As he observed my performance everyday for a couple of months I am ready to quite the medicine. We are hoping I will the same situation to my grandmother, she was cured by itself without medicine. Here in the Philippines living in the mountain without money in the pocket its hard to buy medicine that is why my grandmother could not afford to buy medicine. But she was cured by itself. That is why right this moment I completely off the medicine. I been off my medicine for 2 months now.

I was diagnosed for sz when I was 25/26, I been drinking medicine for 2 moths only but my body recovered right away. All the hallucination and delusion was gone even the voices gone too. I never been drinking medicine since then for 6 years. But because I dont have medicine within 6 years that is why my episode was back again when I was 31 and now I am 33.

To my second episode I been drinking rispiredone for 1 1/2 year. Within a year my voices, delusion and hallucination was gone. That is why I agree when my husband said to me, I have to lower the doses. I feel more normal and happy after I lowered the doses, that is why my husband decided me to try to stop drinking my medicine which is the rispiredone. I agree with him after his explanation to me.

I was drinking generic medicine which is zysda or rispiredone all the time for 1 1/2 year. Each of the tablet cost me P94.50 pesos which is the Philippines money. In 1 box approximately cost me P6,000 pesos. For me its pretty expensive medicine. But I dont realized their are guys here taking more expensive drugs than myself hehehe. Wow could you imagined $511 a month in my Philippines money currency it was P25,000 pesos a month very expensive medicine. I could not afford this kind of medicine because I dont have job. I just depend to my husband pension every month which is $1,000 a month only. Luckily you have insurance there in your country but my country no health insurance for mental illness like me. I been asked about the mental illness insurance but the government here do not considered sz as a sickness. It was brutal to live my country with mental illness like me.

Now I quite my medicine, I feel normal and happy. No voices, no delusion, and hallucination in my head. My husband always watching me for my performance every day.

I feel normal, friendly, happy with my family and friends, I loose weight, I sleep well mostly one in the afternoon every day and night time as well. I used to sleep around 10-10:30 pm and I woke up around 7-7:30 and sometime 8:00 a.m. I worked hard as my daily routine everyday. I look after my self and my husband too. I have feelings or emotions, I become talkative and more nicer person, more happy and friendly now. Compared when I was drinking medicine.

I eat good food like fish, sea food, vegetables, some meat, rice and corn grits, and dry fish, ginamos, and boil banana and table banana. Mostly I eat Filipino food like malunggay native vegetables all the time, and fruits mostly young coconut because its plenty around me. I avoid coffee, wine and chocolate and any beverage have caffeine. I am not smoker, or used street drugs and etc. I am not a drinker as well. Maybe that is why the medicine very effective to me.

When my nephew died 2 months ago, I was quite on medicine that time. Its hard to me because my nephew grown with us for 1 year. I love him so much since birth until he was grown up to 1 year old he was staying with us. I was plaining to adopt him because I dont have a child with my husband. But my brother he did not agree for my adoption plan. But I try hard not to think my problems and I convert my thoughts to work and other things. I thought I will become crazy that time again. Luckily my husband is with me all the time, and my friends too they gave me comfort. That is why I feel normal and okay even though without medicine.

I am hoping that my recovery without medicine will continue for life.

Old 12-11-2010, 08:05 AM   #7
(female)

lxx HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selah123 View Post
lxx wrote: "The side effects of meds can be so awful - sometimes painful. Truly unbearable. It's like living in constant state of hell. When I finally got on 20 mg of geodon twice a day, I was able to live."

Hello,

Can you share some more of what aweful and painful side effects you were getting? I'm experiencing some horrible side effects with Seroquel, however that is the better med. The other ones were worse. I do get relief sometimes, however, I feel that there's absolutely no hope for complete relief.
When I was on haldol 5mg a day, everytime I took the medicine, within 2-3 hours I start feeling the most terrible pain in my sides and then my jaw would start trembling and moving up and down, I can barely swallow and I would have pain in my neck. This would last for 5 or more hours. I wouldn't be able to sleep. I would get so tired. It was the worse medicine for me.

On zyprexa, I would be sleepy the whole day with depression. It would make me eat too much and then I would gain so much weight. I would gain at leasst a pound a day.

On abilify, I would feel like a zombie with depression. I would have the most uncomfortable feeling in my head constantly.

On geodon, at 40 mg, I would have a hard time swallowing-which makes me feel like I can't breath, I would have constant fearful thoughts and worries, I hated taking even a simple shower.

On geodon 20mg twice a day, I am most normal. I would have sometimes weak spells, a strange pressure on my forehead, and once in a while I would have a restlessness and feelings of great discomfort. But this has been the best med so far for me. What have your experiences been. I am looking for the cheapest medicine with the least side effects. I know haloperidol is the cheapest but maybe at lower dosage it would have more bearable side effects. Anyone on haloperidol?

Old 12-13-2010, 04:16 PM   #8
(female)

Selah123 HB User

I have been experiencing pressure in my head for over a year. I have experienced weakening on several occassions...I felt like I was withering away and close to the end of the road. The pressure in my head goes away when I'm asleep and when I'm praying and sometimes when I do a good deed or say a good thing. Whenever I do a good deed or say a good thing, the pressure is lifted and there is the aluminating feeling in my whole head. It is actually a refreshing feeling, I wish I could get that more often. I tend to wonder if the aluminiating feeling is something of God, because it feels like it. There seems to be "good" written all over that feeling. Thankfully, I now get those kinds of feelings, because I feel that there could be some hope. I hope that you'll be able to find an affordable medicine with no bad side effects.

Old 07-22-2011, 10:39 PM   #9
(female)

hagenhouse HB User
Question Re: I cut down the dosage on my med from 2 mg down to .5 mg

My son is 19 and has been on Respiradol for 6 years and has been unsuccessful in getting off the few times he tried. He feels the drug has affected his nervous system and fine motor control. Sometimes, he just has shivers. Anyone know if there are adverse effects of long term usage of Respirdol?

Closed Thread