It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Schizophrenia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2010, 12:01 AM   #1
(male)

Nova26 HB User
Cause of schizophrenia / schizoaffective disorder?

Hi, I was diagnoses with schizoaffective disorder / depressive type half a year ago, I'm 26 now and had my first major psychosis around the age 13. I had at least 3 psychoses after that.

I think I might have an explanation about WHAT CAUSES this disorder (sometimes, not always, of course).

The key is somewehere around hypnagogia and hypnopompia.

Hypnagogia is the short state between wakefullness and sleep, it's a unique state of consciousness, where all sorts of hallucinations can be present, for example "random speckles of phosphenes". Now I see phosphenes all the time, even now, while most people don't see them during the day.

Other visual hallucinations: "Imagery representing movement through tunnels of light is also reported. Individual images are typically fleeting and given to very rapid changes. They are said to differ from dreams proper in that hypnagogic imagery is usually static and lacking in narrative content, although others understand the state rather as a gradual transition from hypnagogia to fragmentary dreams, i.e. from simple "eigenlicht" to whole imagined scenes."

Also, there are sounds in this state:
"Hypnagogic imagery is often auditory or has an auditory component. Like the visuals, hypnagogic sounds vary in intensity from faint impressions to loud noises, such as crashes and bangs (exploding head syndrome). People may imagine their own name called or a doorbell ringing. Snatches of imagined speech are common."

Hypnopompia is the opposite, the short state between sleep and awareness.

Now my theory is that when you are genetically susceptible to schizophrenia, and your life is for example filled with way too much stress and/or depression, these hypnagogic and hypnopompic states do not only last a few minutes, but become overloaded, and you can become trapped for longer periodes of time in them, before actually falling asleep or actually waking up. They malfunction.

The "hallucinations" I've experienced during these phases seem to be the most real memories that I have. More real than any dream or any daytime memory. I can easily remember many of them even after 10 years. Some of these hallucinations are quite paranoid, like people wanting to hurt me. Others feature people close to me, saying things and doing things. These all seem very very real, but in the end they are just hallucinations, which we should have forgotten after like 10 minutes completely! Only, in this case, we didn't.

These "hallucinations" can get stuck for the whole day in my mind, even though I know, that they aren't real. Then my whole day is a mess. On other days, when I don't have these kind of hallucination-memories, I feel pretty much better.

Now here is the biggest problem: these experiences were born in the hypnagogic/hypnopompic states. These states somehow become wired into your brain durin the whole day. The connection is possibly the false memory you live through again and again. Now if you are re-living thes hallucination-memories all the time, your brain ACTUALLY FALLS BACK INTO HYPNAGOGIC/HYPNOPOMPIC STATE! Because that's the root state of these memories.

So the definition of schizoaffective disorder or schizophrenia could be: someone, who can become trapped in hypnagogia/hypnopompia through remembering hallucinations from these states. For example if you remember some very vivid "nightmares" from your pschotic states, you do actually become more psychotic, because your brain is starting to switch back into halfdream mode. I think you all know this feeling all too well.

You are in fact half-dreaming, while living in the real world! This would very simply explain, why we hallucinate during the day, have weird feelings, see images, hear voices, have weird neurotransmitter levels in our brains, have weird electrical brain activity. We feel like never waking up completely, and there is a very simple explanation for that: because in fact we don't..

The definition of psychosis could be: after too much stress, the hypnagogic/hypnopompic states become so overloaded, that they become constant during the whol day and your reality becomes twisted inside out.

Right now I'm trying to bring up all my "false memories" from these states and label them as "hallucinations, which should have been forgotten" through cognitive therapy. I'm trying to re-wire my brain back to normal. I really want to wake up completely, I think, I'm in a halfdream state since 13-14 years constantly, but thanks, I had enough of that.

Comment please!
Thank you!

Peter

Last edited by moderator2; 08-31-2010 at 05:56 AM. Reason: please do not post websites except as described in the Posting Policy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-31-2010, 08:46 PM   #2
(female)

cerajoan HB Usercerajoan HB User
Re: Cause of schizophrenia / schizoaffective disorder?

A very interesting theory, I have actually also speculated about hypnogogia being involved. My idea was that it is necessary to have a certain amount of dreaming when you sleep. But if you don't do enough dreaming when you're asleep, then you have to make up for it by dreaming when you're awake, and that is what psychosis is.

But that only explains the hallucinations though and not the delusions as much.

I will read your post again to think about it some more

Old 09-03-2010, 03:13 PM   #3
(female)

littomissme HB User

wow this was very interesting for me av onli had like 7 voices and even music a band playing a baby crying and a woman laughing at me while i searched for her in the house while she was chatting up my boyfriend in our house but he cheated alot so maybe the stress of that came out as a hullucination iv onli had 7 different voices and music 2 tyms music the rest voices since i was 17 to now 22 just today i had one which made me come on this and look it up finally and i am seeing a physciatric nurse soon so i am looking or answers an this was helpfull fanx x

Old 10-07-2010, 10:36 PM   #4
(male)

hathada HB User

I just watched "Inception". There's a difference between thinking you might be in a dream and being awake. Trust me. You're awake. You're not half asleep. When you're walking down the street, unless you're in a lucid dream at the time, you are most definitely awake. I think it's an interesting theory, but it's not good. It's...come on....you're awake. Even if the world is a dream anyway, you're still a part of it. My cat is staring at me. He's such a gouber.

Old 11-16-2010, 06:12 PM   #5
(female)

chrissyd HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hathada View Post
I just watched "Inception". There's a difference between thinking you might be in a dream and being awake. Trust me. You're awake. You're not half asleep. When you're walking down the street, unless you're in a lucid dream at the time, you are most definitely awake. I think it's an interesting theory, but it's not good. It's...come on....you're awake. Even if the world is a dream anyway, you're still a part of it. My cat is staring at me. He's such a gouber.
I myself do not have this condition but my son does and hears voices. For many years my son has had a problem with sleep walking so your statement "when you're walking down the street, unless you're in a lucid dream at the time, you are most definitely awake" is not necessarily true. My son would talk in his sleep and have an entire conversation. He walked in his sleep, left the house, and at times came into my bedroom and I'd wake up to see him standing there totally unaware. I would ask him if he was ok and he would act as if he did not hear me. I'd have to get up and physically turn him around and guide him back across the house and back into his bed. Through all of this he was sound a sleep and had no memory ever of these events. So it is posible to walk down the street and be a sleep and not aware or remember the next day. I lived through it with him and still do. He is now 23, married with a 2 yr old, and living with me and I'm still dealing with his illness. Mothers responsibility does not end when their children become adults, especially when they have a problem like this and many others. I take him to his appointments with his psychiatrist and manage his medications and his wife deals with the talking in his sleep and his sleep waling. He still will come out of his room to the kitchen, make something to eat, go back to bed, and not remeber it in the morning. We find things in the morning on the counter that were not put back in the closet or fridge and know he was up that night. I do have one question. What is the difference between schizophrenia and schizoaffective disorder?

Chrissy
Mom who loves her child

Old 11-17-2010, 06:03 AM   #6
(female)

lxx HB User

when my brother asked me what was wrong with me, I told him that it's like I'm in a dream but I'm awake. some things are too amazing and some things are too weird and some things are too scary. it's like the creative part of your brain locked in brainstorming.

Old 11-17-2010, 09:21 AM   #7
(female)

chrissyd HB User

I'm not sure if I understand what you mean because I myself have never experienced such feeling. My knowledge is limited to second party understanding from dealing with my son. I want to understand so I can better understand what he is going through. In the begining of his treatment I was told he was bipolar but none of the research I did fit him. He doesn't have the manic episodes or other. He is the same all the time within what is normal for him and the information just didn't fit him. Schizophrenia definitely fit better. I do not know the difference between that and schizoaffective disorder. He has several diagnosis, not just this one. He also has a mood disorder, anger management problems, and learning difficulties and is ADHD. There are just so many different problems he has that it is difficult to understand. The worst part is the severe paranoia. It is so bad he will not leave the house or drive anymore and only goes out to the doctor and I have to go with him. He has to always have a wall behind him so someone cannot sneak up behind him. He believes everyone wants to hurt him and are talking about him and the voices tell him not to trust anyone, not even me, his mother who loves him with all her heart and only wants to help him. We are still playing around with different medications trying to find the correct combination of the correct ones in the correct dosage that will work for him. So far we have had some that helped with one problem but made another worse or he can't tolerate the side effects, so we are still working on getting him to a good place. He cannot get a job and when he does manage to he can't keep it long. I do hope and pray that someone on here can help me understand so I can better understand and help him. TY for replying. I wish you well and hope you do well.

Chrissy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lxx View Post
when my brother asked me what was wrong with me, I told him that it's like I'm in a dream but I'm awake. some things are too amazing and some things are too weird and some things are too scary. it's like the creative part of your brain locked in brainstorming.

Closed Thread