It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Schizophrenia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2010, 02:44 AM   #1
(male)

koolguy HB User
akathisia or ongoing panic attack

I'm now back on meds becuz i stuffed up myself. what happened was i voluntarily went to emergency in hospital saying some crazy stuff like i'm being gasssed which causes headaches and etc. and then i had to stay in hospital for four weeks then i got out. but now i have to get consta injections every fortnight for a year and also i'm on zyprexa nightly.

The thing is I suffered from panic attacks or akathisia or whatever it is called every third day. So it's like first day I'm OK, second day I'm OK but on the third day I suffer from panic attack which lasts for hours. This happened inside hospital as well as outside. I've got released from hospital last wednesday.

Most recently I had panic attack happening yesterday, so that means I probably won't get one today, which is correct since it's already 7:40PM and I haven't had one yet. It also means I won't get one tomorrow but I probably get one day after tomorrow.

When it happens I feel very distressed. My vision gets blurred or dimmer and my hearing is partially muted or that's what it feels like. I get nervous and can't sit still. I feel like being violent or lashing out, but I never have before. I feel like losing control and my hands feels numb. Outside noises make me feel nervous. It is all in all very very distressing to me.

So what next? Is there any point observing myself whether I get another panic attack for the rest of this week? Of course there is point. It means I might not get one as severe as I had on last Friday, for instance. I just have to watch and see what happens to me, and also I have to wait patiently until consultant psychiatrist changes my meds or injections.

I've got prescribed lorazepam so I can take 2mg of that(or two tablets) whenever I feel frightened/scared for no reason or when my vision changes and I feel like losing control.

I posted this stuff here becuz it is a very distressing side effect of antipsychotic med I'm taking, and I wanted to share my distressing story.

Today I can't seem to calm down for any reason. I had to do some work on the net but I couldn't do so easily becuz I felt like panicky and nervous.

Last edited by koolguy; 09-20-2010 at 02:46 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-22-2010, 02:55 AM   #2
(male)

koolguy HB User
I had another one at 3:15PM wihch lasted till 5:40PM or something like that. 4mg of lorazapam really did alot to clam me down and keep me comfortable.
---
I'm fortunate that I've discovered lorazepam, a benzodiazepine, which really is effective against the kind of 'panic attack' that I experience while receiving consta injections and olanzapine tablets.
---
Panic attack that I'm describing comes on once every two or three days, and each time goes away after 2-4 hours when I take lorazepam.
Two early signs when panic attack starts are:
1) funny vision with scary sensation
2) effect of voices inside my head building up

During such an attack I experience
1) Headaches
2) Compulsive thoughts
3) Violent urges
4) Voices inside my head
5) Feeling of losing control of my hands
6) Muted hearing
7) Dimmer vision/blurred vision
---
But afterwards I always return to normal.
---
I used to go to uni until first semester 2010 but I quit. Imagining that suppose I go to uni at this state will I succeed? I think I'll be OK becuz the attacks been not that severe as I thought even though it happens quite frequently(once every two days).
---
This afternoon I feel OK but I need to wait until end of the week.

Last edited by Mod-S4; 09-30-2012 at 11:08 AM. Reason: 5 posts merged.

Old 09-22-2010, 05:57 PM   #3
(female)

cerajoan HB Usercerajoan HB User
Re: akathisia or ongoing panic attack

Hey Koolguy, sorry to hear you had to go into the hospital. That's good that the attacks aren't as severe now.

Old 09-22-2010, 08:08 PM   #4
(male)

koolguy HB User
Re: akathisia or ongoing panic attack

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerajoan View Post
Hey Koolguy, sorry to hear you had to go into the hospital. That's good that the attacks aren't as severe now.
Hello. Yeah thanks for the comment.

Old 09-22-2010, 08:09 PM   #5
(male)

koolguy HB User
Last night I didn't have panic attack. If today is OK and tomorrow is OK then that would be a great news.
---
Just been staying at home for few months and been praying to God plz don't let me get another panic attack so I can get on with my life. Just then thought I might get another panic attack. There's this weird feeling I get when I'm about to get an attack. But then no, I didn't get it so... Just have to survive today and tomorrow and if that happens then I didn't get one for consecutive three days. If that's true then that means I probably won't get an attack permanently so that's what I'm hoping for. Anyways just noting the fact that I might have got an attack just then but didn't.
---
I'll have big mac meal at mcdonalds as celebration if it happens that I don't get panic attacks permanently.
---
I'll find out by the end of the week if that's true or not.If I get another one before end of the week then i'm back to square one.
---
Had big mac at mcdonalds and that's a worry becuz the coke makes me feel funny and causes scary feeling episodes to come up. And indeed I felt a little bit of scary feeling but so far I'm holding.
---
it seems like I might get one later this afternoon but that's ok becuz i'll just take lorazepam.
---
I think tonight's important becuz if i get one this afternoon that means I shouldn't eat mcdonlads. But if I don't get one then that means I might be able to eat mcdonalds and coke and no problem.
---
I'm not taking lorazepam now even though I might want to, becuz I want to preserve them as much as possible. If I run out of lorazepam and there's no way of getting in the near term then I'm fcsked. So that's why I'm doing this.
---
I think what's gonna happen is for several days I will have a tint of scary feeling in the background then after that I will get one episode which will set me backwards. That means I need to watch out for not just until end of this week but probably until I get another injection on next Wednesday(29th September 2010).
---
I looked up my bible. I looked up using "Needing help when..." pages in the front and under "courage" I found the passage "Wait on the Lord". So this is what I will do - I shall wait.
---
I took my nightly dose of olanzapine at around 7PM and now I feel OK.
---
Met doctor today and he asked me if I wanted med for treating anxiety attack that I'm having due to antipsychotic meds. I said yes and he prescribed me with Prestiq. I took it right away and suppose to take it once in the morning. I feel a little funny but he told me that for the first few weeks I'll be like that then in the long run I will get better. Pharmacist who sold me the med told me it's a mood stabilizer. Hopefully I will be fine from now on, or at least in 3-4 wks time.
---
I think how I feel daily matters. If I feel like nothings gonna come up then that's a good news.

Last edited by Mod-S4; 09-30-2012 at 11:11 AM. Reason: 13 posts merged.

Old 10-03-2010, 08:24 PM   #6
(male)

koolguy HB User
Attacks are becoming less frequent so I guess it might work to just sit and wait for a while.
---
Attacks are happening once every third day. I just go and lock myself inside my room and listen to talk back radio until I'm fine again. I just try to go to sleep.
---
I meet consultant doc earliest next tuesday and latest friday.
---
Monday's gone now I need to wait for the rest of the week to pass by. Hopefully on Friday doc would have changed my injection and i would be free from symptoms.
---
It's been four days since I had a last attack. I think this may just mean that I won't have those attacks anymore.
---
Met consultant doc today and he said I'll get injection with half amount of 25mg consta then afterwards no more injections. So that must mean I won't get such attacks any more after few weeks. I'll wait with anticipation what happens in the following days.
---
Waiting for effects of resperidone to wear off. Should take a week or so.
---
Waiting for eyesight to return... Resperidone makes my eyesight faint.
---
Blurred vision. Other than that I'm fine and pretty much normal.
---
Vision thingy and drowsiness. Vision thingy is prob from consta and drowsiness from zyprexa. Panic attack has mysteriously stopped.
---
I remember back when i was first time in hospital I walked the corridor and felt frightened. It's weird. I don't know why I experienced such sensations. Is it becuz of the drug/injection they gave me or is it becuz i was frightened to be in hospital? Bit of both I guess.
---
Thank God I don't get much attacks anymore.
---
When I was taking invega few years back, I remember I was scared even of my pet dog's barking. Nowadays I'm not as scared as before and thank God for that.
---
One problem that remains about myself is I feel down and hopeless/worthless sometimes. What I found is that my emotions and truth could be very different. I just try to relax and chill.
---
I'm just chillin' and not doing much and just waiting until I feel better.
---
This afternoon I feel alot better.
---
- Read some stuff and felt a slight tinge of scariness. Usually when under invega I would do some reading then after that finally get full blown episode, but I don't think that would be the case this time.

- Tried to help mum out by going to the mall and back and I would get scary feeling episode when I got home. I don't know why but perhaps physical exercise or over-exposure in busy places may be the causes. I should try it out and see if I can survive next time.
---
Why my computer keeps on changing date/time on its own????? strange...
---
I think my past failures are due to the mixture of anxiety and psychotic episodes plus adverse effects of antipsychotic meds.
---
I think nearly returned to normal.
---
Drank Cola and still fine
---
Actually it's 8:30PM and I felt a tint of scariness. But I doubt this will get blown to a full episode.
---
No more soft drinks for me
---
Just as I thought. Didn't escalate to a full blown episode. I'm fine now.
---
Blurred vision is a problem. I can't read as much as I wish to.
---
I think blurred vision will get better as time goes by. Becuz sometimes I can see better than other times. I take that as a sign of recovery.
---
I'm still not completely calm. There's this residue of resperidone still in my system, it seems. I'll just have to wait and hope that I won't suffer.
---
i feel nervous
---
i'll wait for one more week at least
---
This morning I feel ok
---
such a boring day...
---
markedly calmer than before when i was getting consta
---
i made it to 6PM!!! in summary, i had blurred vision but that's about it. calmer today than yesterday

i also had music in my head. when it gets worse i hear voices and sh1t but not today
---
as i said above, i'm calmer than yesterday, for instance. i'll know when i'm normal. but not yet. i probably need few more weeks to get back to normal so that all of resperidone in my blood stream will be flushed out
---
i can't even play computer games becuz i'm too nervious all the time. i need relaxed mind.
---
i'm pretty much relaxed but drowsiness from zyprexa is pretty bad. also something else i can't describe. i get this strange feeling... i attribute this to little bit of resperidone left in my system
---
after trials of reading and reading more, i come to conclusion that the act of reading no longer triggers scary feelings. that must mean zyprexa don't cause this. but resperidone and paliperidone do.
---
it is a great news that i can read and don't get scary feelings becuz i need to do some reading
---
i had voices/compulsive thoughts/strange feeling between 8-10PM like i had on friday. i'm not sure why it doesn't escalate into full blown episode like few weeks ago, but that's the case. my guess is that strange feeling is due to resperidone residue, and the reason is because i don't get consta injection anymore
---
one strange thing is whenever such voices/strange feeling happens i feel energetic and my general mood is good. hopefully within a week or so i won't get such symptoms since resperidone residue would be gone by then, i hope
---
i've been reading bible and the other christian book after those strange symptoms have died down until about 11PM, and I could read them without any difficulty. there were no scary feelings rising up or no blurred vision or other eye problems. no major difficulties
---
i feel calm today. only problem seems to be between 8-10PM where i get strange feelings/compulsive thoughts. but it doesnt escalate to scary feeling episodes so that's a relief
---
side effects of zyprexa: drowsiness, tiredness, sleepiness, weight gain
---
it's 5PM and i feel fine
---
it's 8PM and i feel fine still
---
it's 8:50PM and i'm still fine so it's safe to say today i won't get voices/strange feelings
---
past 9. time to take olanzapine
---
took olanzapine. oops im not safe until 10PM!!!!! still 1hr to go

it's 10PM so i survived today pretty much comfortably.

effect of tea:
i had blurry vision, slight scariness but that's about it

i drank tea so i could go to sleep more easily and i think that would be just fine

it's 11PM should go to sleep within 30 mins

it's alrready 11:30AM and i feel drowsy

i better put alarm at 9AM so i wake up at 9 everyday. zyprexa is causing me to sleep too long

wat am i scared of? im scared of getting scary feeling episodes or voices/strange feeling again. it's 4:40PM and i still have nervousness which feels like i might get scary feeling episode

as i said few posts back, i get scary feeling/strange feeling/voices between 8-10PM. this is due to small amounts of resperidone left in my system. good news is that worst part of it lasts for only 10 mins rather than for several hours.

now it's 8PM and i feel fine

i joined gym today. 3 months for 355 dollars. while i was writing up forms to join the gym, i had blurred vision. but other than that i was ok. i will go to gym if not tomorrow then few days after today. my aim is to reduce weight. 6kg off my current weight.

Last edited by Mod-S4; 09-30-2012 at 11:21 AM. Reason: 55 posts merged.

Old 11-05-2010, 03:13 AM   #7
(male)

koolguy HB User
my case manager want to meet me and she will suggest to have coffee as we talk. so to test the theory that i no longer feel scary feeling when i drink drinks containing caffeine, i drank coffee this morning. and it's 10:30AM now and it's been a few minutes since i drank it but so far i'm doing ok. if i do get some symptoms then i have to tell my case manager that i can't drink coffee, obviously
---
third cup n still fine

as for dopamine levels i probably have excessively high level since i get delusions and stuff
---
i found out that with olanzapine or any other antipsychotic drugs they make my thoughts slower
---
it appears that zyprexa causes anhedonia in me. i feel flat and those who talk to me also commented "you don't seem to be excited" even when I really am interested in what the other person was saying.
---
if i'm unmotivated because i feel flat due to zyprexa, the drug, then i guess i need to plan more
---
also another thing is my mood has been irritable for the past two days
---
if i was less drowsy that would be great

=> lower dosage would be welcomed by me as long as i don't get delusional thoughts/etc coming back
but my doc didn't lower the dosage on friday when i met him and the next apt is in 6 weeks
---
i get drowsy and stuff but i think i am returning to my senses. i will take 5mg each morning/night per day and see what happens
---
one good thing about zyprexa is that my anxiety has dramatically decreased so that must mean i can think more clearly now in some ways
---
effect of risperidone is gone. i don't feel nervous any more even inside gym i didn't feel nervous at all while i was inside for 30mins
---
for me:

side effects of zyprexa are:
- anhedonia or flat mood
- lack of energy
- sleepiness
- drowsiness
- weight gain

side effects of risperidone are:
- akathisia
- gout
- nervousness
- agitation
- some others
---
today problem has been:

- lack of energy without coffee
- little bit of scary feeling with coffee
---
- take 5mg olanzapine as soon as i wake up in the morning
---
i had 5mg wafer olazanpine at around 12PM then another as soon as i got home. when i had the second i felt sleepy afterwards.
=> just take 5mg once and not 5mg twice or 10mg.
---
=> take 5mg olanzapine as soon as i wake up in the morning
---
aim: to test feasibility of staying active during the day

situation:
i had 5mg of olanzapine twice. felt sleepy so went to sleep and after waking up feel more refreshed. in this way i can stay more active during the day
---
i'm trying to learn python(computer language) and i need to learn a book of over 300 pages long. if i can go through 30 pages each day, i can't expect anything better. i can't be too greedy. i also write notes on computer as i read it. anyways, if i can do those things i think i can get away with drowsiness due to taking zyprexa. i drink coffee, have a nap and take 5mg wafer as soon as i get up in the morning. all to fight against drowsiness.
---
so i wrote about fighting drowsiness. another problem i have is lack of energy. coffee helps but it has its limits. i will see after few days with 5mg lowered dosage
---
i'm trying to be a programmer. so to motivate myself i will watch doom game play on youtube every day, to remind myself that i will make a game similar to doom or something like that
---
it's 9:51PM and I feel calm
---
it's 9:49AM and as planned i took 5mg as soon as i woke up. i don't feel more awake at all, but since i only took 5mg and not 10mg as before, i'd fare better than yesterday
---
i'm acting on the belief that too much olanzapine will make you drowsy but just a little amount will actually make you smarter. at the moment only choice i have is 5mg
---
i will not drink coffee in the morning and see what happens. i'm looking for the feeling of 'had a good sleep now i am refreshed with plenty of energy' or 'well rested and ready to do work'-kind of feeling.
---
the difference is 5mg instead of 10mg
---
5mg
coffee
cola
pie
library
reading magazines
---
new found sense of rationality
---
recovering
give week or so
---
one immediate effect of reducing dosage is that i went out to go for a walk. before i had no energy to do so.
---
much clearer with 5mg
---
5mg 5mg 5mg
---
i'm still drowsy/lack of energy but my anxiety are gone
---
set everyday time for prayer/meditaton/reading
---
calculus mania
---
i need to be least drowsy + max energy
i still have plenty of time to relax + chill
---
man just in the last two months i've come so far
i used to have akathisia from consta injections and this has been going on for 8 weeks!!! akathisia came on in the frequency of once every third day or so, and they were very very very distressing! now i don't get consta anymore and am free! what a relief
---
Q: how's it goin'?
A: I'm fine but i feel cold and i'm a little drowsy and scared. By scared I mean akathisia but not to that extent by a long shot. Just a little weird feeling inside.
---
i feel a bit weird but i'm pretty sure i'm less nervous than before
---
still chillin
---
keep your cool like grown adult or like snoop
---
today from 7PM-9PM i had scared feeling/hearing voices again but it didn't escalate into full episode like it did when i was receiving consta shots. so it is due to risperidone residue in my blood.
---
it's now 10PM and now i'm returned to normal. and yes, it was due to resperidone residue in my blood.
---
i've been finding hard to get to sleep in the last few days. it's because i had coffee almost everyday
---
i didn't mention above but when i drink strong coffee or sometimes coke i hear voices and i get compulsive thoughts. but when i'm not receiving consta shots it doesn't escalate into a full blown episode. that's why i know that it's due to risperidone residue in my blood from all the consta shots i've been given (four times in 8 weeks)
---
i still get scary feeling when i drink coffee but only slight.
---
it's now 9PM

probs i have are:
- strong coffee induces strange feeling/hearing of voices
- lack of energy/drowsiness

Last edited by Mod-S4; 09-30-2012 at 02:55 PM. Reason: 45 posts merged.

Closed Thread