It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Schizophrenia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2003, 11:28 PM   #1

NoDoubtJess HB User
Arrow thought broadcasting

I feel like an idiot writing this, but sometimes I suffer from "thought broadcasting." I'm a 20 year old college student and it usually occurs in class. I'll suddenly think everyone in class can hear what I'm thinking. It freaks me out to where I get very nervous and my heart starts racing.

And when I'm walking around campus sometimes I feel like everyone's staring at me. I can barely take it sometimes.

Just wanted to get that off my chest. I've never told anybody that. I don't think I'm schizophrenic because I don't hallucinate or anything. My grandmother was schizo but she would hallucinate and all that. :-\

The following user gives a hug of support to NoDoubtJess:
kylin123 (07-07-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to NoDoubtJess For This Useful Post:
kylin123 (07-07-2011)
Old 09-18-2003, 12:41 AM   #2

Sucellos HB User
hey, i get the same way, it happens alot at work, i found just the other day, if i zen out and just dont worry about a thing then i dont have a problem with it, that, and i worry that i say stuff out loud.
im just afraid that looking all spaced out is going to worry my boss.. heh

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-01-2005, 10:43 PM   #3
(male)

gregwado HB User
Re: thought broadcasting

yes i suffer from thought broadcasting myself also, it is odd and embarressing an experience, having yourself probed by the masses for no particular reason, having them hang off your every thought can be taxing.

yep, that alien collective conscious is at it again.

Old 11-02-2005, 08:03 PM   #4
(male)

swbluto HB User

Dude, hate to break it to you, but most schizophrenic cases have a large genetic influence and if your grandma had it, then you're at risk of developing it. Considering that the average age range for a male of developing the disorder(going onto onset) is 15-25, and you're 20 and you're experiencing thought broadcasting, and your slightly paranoid(not paranoid, but worried about everyone looking at you).. you might be developing the disorder. I'm not saying it is FOR SURE, as I nor anyone else can diagnose over the internet, but if what you say is true, it's probably worth getting checked out.

And the previous poster - ummmm... yah. :?(.. I hope everything get's better for everyone - I sincerely do.

Last edited by swbluto; 11-02-2005 at 08:05 PM.

Old 11-14-2005, 07:57 AM   #5
(female)

poetprose HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoDoubtJess
I feel like an idiot writing this, but sometimes I suffer from "thought broadcasting." I'm a 20 year old college student and it usually occurs in class. I'll suddenly think everyone in class can hear what I'm thinking. It freaks me out to where I get very nervous and my heart starts racing.

And when I'm walking around campus sometimes I feel like everyone's staring at me. I can barely take it sometimes.

Just wanted to get that off my chest. I've never told anybody that. I don't think I'm schizophrenic because I don't hallucinate or anything. My grandmother was schizo but she would hallucinate and all that. :-\

Hi When i was manic I thought I was a prophet for God, and I also thought the tv was advertising just for me..... i know the tv advertising is for who ever is interested in the product but i thought it was meant just for me

I'm bipolor and have experienced physcosis too

Old 12-20-2005, 07:42 AM   #6
(female)

jacritch HB User

Hi,

All I can suggest is to go to the doctor's and tell him/her the truth about what is going on. My daughter and my son both had the thought broadcasting and were diagnosed as schizoaffective at first. Now they are diagnosed w/schizophrenia. It runs rampid on there father's side. Grandmother, Uncle, have it and the father, now my ex, has some form of it. It is nothing to be afraid of. My daughter is 22 now and taking the consta shots and on seroquel. She has a son who is 3 now. She lost her son to the state because of her odd behavior and she was at the police station almost daily, because that is where she felt safe. She was walking around w/him at 12:00 p.m. w/just a shirt on. She didn't want me to have him even though I had him 18 out of 21 days previous to that. We have him now. We had to become kinship foster parents. It was the disease talking for her. She didn't trust anyone. She is doing well now and living w/us until she can find housing. She has a good relationship w/her son and he adores her.

My son was diag. at 20 and he is now 25 and living in transitional housing and also holds down a job and is drug and alcohol free for 1 1/2 years. He was threatening and abusive. They both have driver's licenses and if people didn't know they had schizophrenic, they would never know. My daughter has the least of the three, my son is a paranoid schizophrenic.

It may be stress of everything you are going through too. Just because it is in your family doesn't mean that you have it. I would make an appt. w/ a physciatrist and just be honest w/him/her. Counseling helps too.

I hope this helps..didn't mean to dump on you. It is very important to see a professional and be honest w/him/her.

Good luck to you,

Judy

Old 12-23-2005, 10:19 AM   #7
(male)

adamstudio2005 HB User

For what it's worth, it may just be that you have an active imagination, which is perfectly healthy. Just because you were thinking of the idea that people might hear your thoughts, you're still able to recognize that it's just an idea or a thought that occured to you. It's just a sensation, the same that deja vu is a sensation. I would suggest that it may be related to stress, and you might want to ask about a relaxer like Klonopin (clonazepam) to help you relax on an as-needed basis, if such thoughts arise. Long story short, don't be too hard on yourself.

Old 01-07-2006, 05:00 PM   #8
(male)

thewayitis HB User

when u get manic can u get into a psychosis? also can marijuana trigger a manic episode?

Old 02-01-2006, 05:12 PM   #9
(male)

slapsomebody HB User

Hey-
I just discovered that the disorder existed yesterday while flipping through my girlfriend's Abnormal Psychology textbook, and while I have been experienceing this disorder for about ten years I am somewhat comforted to know that I am not the only one who has ever thought like this. This is only the second time I have ever confessed that I have believed the world can hear my thoughts (the first time briefly to my girlfriend yesterday; now she thinks I'm crazy). The feeling definately intesified when I smoked weed (I just quit about six months ago) and I don't believe it as strongly as I did, say, 5 years ago, but I still get the feeling everyday. Anyone know where I can get additional information on the subject?

Old 02-02-2006, 05:54 AM   #10
(female)

i-be-peabody HB User

Hi I've had some real problems with thought broadcasting in the past. I DO have schizophrenia but there are other illnesses too where such types of psychotic symptoms manifest themselves (Don't worry about the use of the word psycotic. That's the medical term for hallucinations, delusions, et cetera) Now there are one of two possibilities. That everyone is reading your mind, or they're not and it's just a personal belief.

First, I have to ask. Do you have a secret in your past that you'd never let out but you're scared it might come out? My friend has one of those little nasties and she has started to get thought broadcasting because she's just so paranoid al the time tht people will discover her dark past. (She's also got OCD.. if that counts, which I would think it does)

Well... You should see a doctor. They can have protracted, in depth conversations with you about what you're feeling and how your life is, and they'd be a far better clinician than I would

Also, keep in mind that there are many schizophrenics who don't hallucinate at all and everyone shows and deals with their symptoms differently.. ANd some who only hallucinate very, very rarely. There is also the concern of onset of schizophrenia and that this is the begining. I don't want to scare you because I'm just tossing ideas out there but if it IS the start of a psychotic illness, you're in great shape to get help now.

If you are diagnosed with sz, don't let it eat you. Take your meds, if you feel you can, and just take it one day at a time. Themental health system has improved so drastically over the past 50 years that sz is not the life sentence it once was. I mean, there's no cure but thre are methods of controlling it. Presently, mine is under control. I take my meds (I had tofind one that worked for me. That can be tedious) I work, and I finished university, all after being diagnosed. I am engaged. There is a life for you, even ifyou do get this diagnosis. There's always hope.

But speak toyour doctor, okay? They can make a far better assessment than I ever could.

let us know how you're doing

peace
pea

Old 02-02-2006, 05:57 AM   #11
(female)

i-be-peabody HB User

Marijuana can also trigger a psychotic episode. I don't poo poo drugs, be them psychedelic or whatever. But if there is a history of brain illness in your family, your best bet is to avoid them. Drugs, I firmly believe are what made me sick. For my birthday (17th) my friend gave me three hits of liquid acid. I was already starting to get ill at that time and that just hastened things amazingly. I kind of wish I'd stayed away from drugs but how was I to know this would happen?

Closed Thread