It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Schizophrenia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2003, 09:06 AM   #1

Delerium HB User
Post Is Schizophrenia genetic?

I was just wondering if Schizophrenia is genetic. My father keeps telling me it isnt while others say it is. My biological mother (I was adopted)is a schizophrenic and I want to know what the odds are that I might develop it.
Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-22-2003, 11:49 AM   #2
Inactive

arebe HB User
In some cases it is passed on from parent to child. John Nash's son developed schizophrenia.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-29-2003, 08:25 PM   #3
(female)

Shababy HB User
My father is skitzofrantic and his son, my half brother is too. I'm wondering if my youngest daughter has it.

I once saw on t.v. a set of twins that a scientist has been studying in England I believe it is. One man has it and his brother they watch him and test him regularly to see if he developes it too.

Let me know how things go. I'm thinking of you.

------------------

Old 05-05-2003, 02:14 AM   #4

Summit 71 HB User
I think it is genetic, because my mother and my aunt both had it. I don't have it, but I was concerned about it for a time. I think you should try to learn more about it. I think most people believe it is somewhat genetically related.

Old 05-07-2003, 06:57 PM   #5
Inactive

Ninispjc HB User
I've read studies that say if you have a 100% biological sibling with it, your children have a 1 in 4 chance of having it too. My grandfather had it, my father's brother had it, and one of my brothers has it, too. There is definite proof that it is genetic.

Old 05-13-2003, 12:11 PM   #6

joanna13 HB User
Apparently, the cause of schizophrenia is largely not known. However, there has been longstanding dispute between psychodynamic and biological schools of thought. The current mainstream view is that it is a biological brain disease. Therefore, genetic family studies have established that the risk rises more or less with increasing consanguity to reach a peak of nearly 50 per cent in monozygotic twins and the children of two shizophrenic parents. Although these results are highly suggestive they do not by themselves establish that a hereditary factor operates in schizophrenia. In the case of being adopted and coming from one schizophrenic parent only a predisposition to develop schizophrenia can be inherited and NOT the actual disorder. Schizophrenia is a disorder in which genetics are considered to form merely a backround to some unknown enviromental agent! Hope this helps

[This message has been edited by moderator1 (edited 07-21-2003).]

Old 05-18-2003, 09:01 PM   #7

Esperanza HB User
Perhaps you are right Joanna, but then again.....

My biological mother has the disease. My younger brother and I were raised in a foster home - no learned behavior there - I assure you. Unfortunately, later he began to show symptoms and it was fully blown by the time he was 20. I happen to believe there is a genetic propensity,however I also believe that some virus or outside stimuli (traumatic event) could trigger the already genetic disposition.

There are a total of 7, and only 1 child had it. In my mother's family (my aunts and cousins), several of my cousins were diagnosed with the disease. But I must tell you, my grandparents were first cousins, so the bad gene hung on tight with our family. So far, my cousins children have not yet been diagnosed, nor my siblings children, nor my own.

Old 05-25-2003, 01:51 PM   #8

Overdrive HB User
The honest answer is - Who knows? I have recently been diagnosed SZ, and there has never (to my knowledge at least) been a single other person diagnosed as SZ in my family. Go speak to a trained psychiatrist who will be able to tell you what (if anything) to expect.

Old 06-01-2003, 08:14 AM   #9

railinas HB User
Lightbulb

I actually just read a chapter in a psychology book about schizoprhenia and its etiology. Basically I learned that there is no doubt genetic factors playing a role here, but we're not sure as to how much environment also affects the condition. Basically if you have an monozygotic twin with whom you share 100% of your genes in common and he/she has schizophrenia, there is about a 48% chance you will also develop it. Recent evidence on genes involved in transmission from parent to offspring has shown linkage to chromosomes 6 and 8 but this hasn't been proven yet. Like Joanna said, however, the genetic link is most likely a predisposition for schiz. Environment still plays a role. In risk of sounding like a school text book, I refer you to a study on this interaction of genetic and environmental fators in which ninety-two children of mothers who were schizoprenic and mothers who were normal were adopted in healthy and disturbed family envirnoments. Basically,the results were as follows: If your mother was schizophrenic and you were adopted into a disturbed family environment you became schizophrenic. If your mother was schizophrenic and you were adopted into a healthy family, you did not develop schizophrenia. The children who had no genetic predisposition for schizophrenia did not develop the condition regardless of family environment. I apologize if this sounded way too much like a lecture, but if you want to read more about this, there is a chapter in Developmental Psychopathology: From infancey through Adolescence (fourth edition) by Wenar and Kerig that may be helpful. (that's where I just got all the info for this post) Personally I don't like the book but it does give a pretty good overview of developmental disorders. Hope this helped a little and wasn't too boring!

[This message has been edited by moderator1 (edited 07-21-2003).]

Old 07-20-2003, 12:07 PM   #10

norman b HB User
hi im schizofrenic i have an identical twin who was smoking pot for years she has all signs now of being the same as me the pot may of brought it on or it was delayed i never smoked pot im not an expert all i know is she is me we are as one are husbands cant cope when were together hope this has helped they call us wicked witchesxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Old 07-25-2003, 07:11 PM   #11

maunalei HB User
it depends sometimes, in my family it skipped a generation and went to me instead of my dad...when my grandma passed away (who had a nervous breakdown 3 times) that same month i started hearing voices...trippy yah?

Old 10-05-2003, 10:40 PM   #12

nick2003 HB User
i would say you get it from parents, I got it from my father, craZy-insAne : It sounds like you want this disease, beleave me its not a fun thing to have and you wouldnt wanna have it, ive personally never heard voices but i bet there not fun.

Old 10-12-2003, 07:29 AM   #13

crazy4u HB User
I suffer with social phobia and psychotic episdoes and depression.
My grandfather was a schizophrenic.
My great aunt was a depression person

Old 10-19-2003, 02:54 PM   #14

MySis HB User
My grandfather was in the military and died of emphisema and other complications after coming into contact with a wide variety of chemicals. My guess is that yes, it is hereditary because two of his sons have schitzophrenia and two of his grandchildren are also severely affected.

Of course, this would be related to damaged chromosomes or altered DNA, but it does show that it can be passed from family to family.

I am also a firm believer that our environment and lifestyles play a major role such as amount of time spent in the sun, nutritional intake, chemical intake, and stress factors to name a few.

I think at this point in my life I DO also have a very good chance of developing the disorder so I am very careful about the choices I make in my lifestyle. I also am aware that when it is time, genetic counseling is a priority before conceiving my own children. Has anyone ever heard of preventative therapy or treatment for those who know they may be predisposed to this disorder?

MySis (I love her dearly)

[This message has been edited by MySis (edited 10-19-2003).]

Old 11-24-2003, 11:17 AM   #15
(male)

Mike in Dallas HB User
Re: Is Schizophrenia genetic?

I have not seen any studies where they have found a defective gene that causes schizophrenia. Schizophrenia is a broad term. I do think, however, there can be a genetic weakness in families which may result in the condition based upon certain conditions similar to cancer occuring in families. However, you should not discount environmental factors such as vitamin dificiency, mercury toxicity from eating fish and shellfish, etc. Some people are much more sensitive to things than others.

Closed Thread