It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Schizophrenia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2011, 10:11 AM   #1
Veteran
(male)

joebloggs2 HB Userjoebloggs2 HB User
Voices vs Internal Dialogue?

My wife who has a pretty healthy brain chemistry and no genetic predisposition for mental illness, nor any anxiety (very sociable) told me something that really has my attention lately.

She had taken adderall at a high dose the night before to cram for exams. The next day, on her way to work she called me and told me that she feels fatigued and more alarmingly, she has "internal dialogue." She said it's hard to explain but she feels as though she's arguing and talking with herself in her head.

This blew me away. First, adderall does cause anxiety, especially when it wears off, but I didn't know that people didn't have internal dialogue on a regular basis.

I ALWAYS have had it. I talk and scream and argue with myself in my head 24/7. I talk to myself when I'm alone (or I respond out loud to my internal dialogue.)

Again, what blew me away is that I didn't think what I was doing was out of the ordinary. I am predisposed to schizophrenia and I do have anxiety. But I'd like to know if the internal dialogue and hearing voices are similar?

When you hear voices, can you discern if they are internal dialogue or do they sound purely external?

This may sound silly but it's bugging me out. I want to note again: I have had loud obnoxious internal dialogue my entire life. But I have had anxiety my entire life as well. I can't tell if one causes the other or they're both the same illness.

edit: there are 2 things that have me concerned. I've noticed more and more that I respond to the internal dialogue out loud rather than in my head, especially when I'm alone. I also noticed that I seem to sometimes hear music playing where as there shouldn't be any. It's usually very quiet and had to make out, and it sounds like music but it's actually something else in the background (the heater, fan, etc) and my brain seems to try to make sense of it as music. If that makes any sense?

Also in some songs I hear my name being called by different people. wife/sister/mom/friends. I don't hear it when there are no external sounds. it's just that when I'm listening to a song and it reaches a point where the pitch matches the pitch of somebody I know, it sounds like they're calling out to me. It's a bit hard to explain and it's somewhat subtle. I just feel as though it has been getting louder over the last few weeks.

Last edited by joebloggs2; 03-14-2011 at 12:09 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-05-2011, 11:49 AM   #2
(male)

Feelsick HB UserFeelsick HB UserFeelsick HB User
Re: Voices vs Internal Dialogue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebloggs2 View Post
My wife who has a pretty healthy brain chemistry and no genetic predisposition for mental illness, nor any anxiety (very sociable) told me something that really has my attention lately.

She had taken adderall at a high dose the night before to cram for exams. The next day, on her way to work she called me and told me that she feels fatigued and more alarmingly, she has "internal dialogue." She said it's hard to explain but she feels as though she's arguing and talking with herself in her head.

This blew me away. First, adderall does cause anxiety, especially when it wears off, but I didn't know that people didn't have internal dialogue on a regular basis.

I ALWAYS have had it. I talk and scream and argue with myself in my head 24/7. I talk to myself when I'm alone (or I respond out loud to my internal dialogue.)

Again, what blew me away is that I didn't think what I was doing was out of the ordinary. I am predisposed to schizophrenia and I do have anxiety. But I'd like to know if the internal dialogue and hearing voices are similar?

When you hear voices, can you discern if they are internal dialogue or do they sound purely external?

This may sound silly but it's bugging me out. I want to note again: I have had loud obnoxious internal dialogue my entire life. But I have had anxiety my entire life as well. I can't tell if one causes the other or they're both the same illness.

edit: there are 2 things that have me concerned. I've noticed more and more that I respond to the internal dialogue out loud rather than in my head, especially when I'm alone. I also noticed that I seem to sometimes hear music playing where as there shouldn't be any. It's usually very quiet and had to make out, and it sounds like music but it's actually something else in the background (the heater, fan, etc) and my brain seems to try to make sense of it as music. If that makes any sense?

Also in some songs I hear my name being called by different people. wife/sister/mom/friends. I don't hear it when there are no external sounds. it's just that when I'm listening to a song and it reaches a point where the pitch matches the pitch of somebody I know, it sounds like they're calling out to me. It's a bit hard to explain and it's somewhat subtle. I just feel as though it has been getting louder over the last few weeks.
Hey I am glad I read this I have been trying to get some answers on here I thought maybe schizophrenia for me but I hear the same things the internal dialogue I also see things like shadows or bugs or figures it's very disturbing and has been gettin worse I am 22 and have always had internal voices in my head and even a loud external voice sometimes so I listen to music alot to drown it out but sometimes it's like the music has hidden voices too I have not yet been diagnosed with anything I am afraid of being held in an assylum and losing my job

Old 05-07-2011, 09:13 AM   #3
(female)

jellybread HB Userjellybread HB Userjellybread HB User

Whoa! I always thought is was normal too, to have internal dialogue, I talk in my head all the time and sometimes out loud ever since a child. But when I also heard that people don't do that...a got worried too. I think it's normal if a percentage of the population talks in their minds, problem is I can't help it, I just can't stop it. when I think, it has to be in an internal dialogue, but if I really try to think without talking to myself, I go crazy because I can't!

Maybe we just special that we are like this. Even when I read a book silently, I am actually reading it outloud in my mind. My mind can't function any other way!

Old 05-07-2011, 09:50 PM   #4
(male)

I do the same thing while reading but I end up going blank I can't remember what the pages said because I was in my head too much. If I can't or like now Prozac has calmed it a Lil but leaves me really anxious because it's like there is something in me that needs to get out and it can't so it makes me panic it happens way too much for me I can't even finish sentences most of the time without pausing be ause there is too much going on in my head. It makes me feel alot better others are feeling this way though it makes me feel really crazy sometimes along with everything else I do just makes us unique.

Old 05-25-2011, 09:35 AM   #5
(male)

adk HB User

People have inner dialogues all of the time, but there's nothing weird about that. Sometimes people even talk to themselves aloud, which some people find strange (as kind of a bad habit or quirky behavior....not really a mental illness thing). But if you actually hear voices generated by your mind just as clearly as you would hear a real person's...you might have a problem. But even then, I don't think it's anything to be too alarmed about.

In all seriousness, I think most people suffer some degree of mental illness, but that doesn't mean we should all be on medication (despite what pharmaceutical companies many think). I think fretting over these "symptoms" will only exacerbate them and then you'll really have a problem.

If your inner dialogue becomes more intense, I guess you should see someone about it. But even with a predisposition for schizophrenia I don't think there's any need for alarm yet.

Old 02-14-2012, 05:08 AM   #6
(male)

argv HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebloggs2 View Post

I dunno. I just got diagnosed as bipolar, after 14 years ago they told me I was ADHD.

anyways, I get these overwhelming voices that tell me to do really messed up stuff like kill myself, swerve into traffic, punch someone in the face, stab someone, stab myself. Sometimes it's like the devil and christ are having a battle in my head. I have one voice that says "do it!" and another that says "No, don't do it!" The 'bad' voice always likes to try to convince me of how cool of a thing it would be to do, and is VERY persistent until I just say "No" and sometimes I catch myself saying it out loud.

I also kinda disassociate alot when I'm just working or whatever, I lose touch with reality, I think everyone is out to do me harm, and I get weird shakes when I walk by people sometimes. Sometimes I think they're going to stab me, and so I keep an eye on them. There's no real basis for it probably, but you never know. Maybe my paranoia will save my life someday.

Last edited by argv; 02-14-2012 at 05:09 AM.

Old 02-14-2012, 08:52 AM   #7
(male)

Hello I deal with the exact things exept my paranoia developed into shadows which turned to figures and before I knew it there were spirits and demons crawling out of any dark area corners cracks etc. I have always been paranoid nervous and anxious seeing imaginary beings when I was young but add or ADHD has always been the answer every symptom got worse u did not seek medical attention until the paranoia caused such bad panic attacks I had to do something that's when I started klonopin little later visions and delusions got more recent more vivid and totally took over my life I tried Prozac had a bad reaction now I have been put on seroquel and zoloft along with klonopin and a handful of other mess for irrelevant reasons but I still see figures and hear voices or sounds even with headphones on it's like some one is yelling something very abrupt it's so loud but meds have helped out wonders I have not got a specific diagnosis so it's somewhere between bipolar1 and schizophrenia it's tough and it's not gone or healed just dulled from the meds if you need to vent or have questions or concerns I've studdied medicine and psychological disorders on my own and college glad there is others like me lol

Old 06-04-2012, 12:22 AM   #8
(female)

divine84 HB User

Yep.. I have internal disloyal really bad. I also hear the hood and bad voice and Ai describe them as Satan and God. My hallucinations started off at night (still are worse at night than daytime when I have them) mostly seeing shadows and then men beside my bed and then things crawling on my ceiling and demons coming to get me and I panic if I'm in a small room or a room with many people or just a man.

<removed - inappropriate>

Old 06-05-2012, 06:45 AM   #9
(male)

For one I'm glad someone was on the board for two I'm glad to see I'm not the only one because it feels that way we all have the same symptoms and shockingly simaler idioms and visions I'm always open to talk to people about it because no one else understands and I also wanna say don't get trapped in your delusions I had a rough time thinking I was a shamen and being watched by aliens

Last edited by moderator2; 06-05-2012 at 06:50 AM.

Old 07-16-2012, 09:08 PM   #10
(male)

Jayli HB User

OMG its like reading my mind on these pages i too experience the same thing but i know i have a mental illness. example i was at college i believed that my class mates were out to get me and my teachers and at the time i was using marijuana alot. And now i hear voice in my head telling me that i am the next messiah and am not at all religious as a matter of fact i think the church is just a big money making farm. and then when i people move when ever am around them i think there doing to trap my mind. I even went as far as making up an imaginary girl friend and for the a year and a half i believed she was real. And now that i know its not my delusions are saying that she was part of a cult who's plans are to stop me from achieving my goals in life. And that i got her pregnant but even after the supossed birth date of the baby have more than past i am still being delusions the voices are saying they got it all wrong and that it will happen next year. And that its plan to keep the people getting a hold of us. I cant even keep up with the stories its starting to make me laugh all though some times i will cry about it and then laugh i think its just my way of dealing with it. I even think that this site is made by them to keep things a secret. So you can see its not a fact that i am delusional but am learning to live with it for the rest of my life. Now i just look for what the voices will say later on its always something else that's just completely and utterly ridiculous.

Old 08-18-2012, 07:42 PM   #11
(male)

Sanderz77 HB User

I've had these internal dialogue as long as I can remember. Usually I feel as though it can help me cope with some situations. But will definetly ask my pshyciotrist about this.

I also see a lot of people talking about how many of these stories told here are similiar or exactly the same. But from what I have read, both here and on the web, I cannot seem to find anyone describing the're symptoms like mine.
I am 22 male and was just recently diagnosed with schizophrenia and having had major depression for some years now.
Now, I was not having hallucinations or voices (internal dialogue was there tough) but was experiencing delusions along with some other things.
My delusions were that almost everyone living on earth were some sort of actors and/or caretakers that were tasked with tapping information from me and testing how I reacted to certain circumstances. These people were not hostile but were simply keeping an eye out for me. Witch had to be done with me, being who I was supposed to be, someone really special but also fragile, they needed to keep an 24/7 lookout after me.
I saw no monsters or demons sprawling from some crack's, just ,real and innocent people doing what they though was right for me. But of course I felt like nothing was sacred to them, so I felt as tough that my brainwaves were being broadcasted to other people and they would simply control every single action I took, witch was maddening to me.

This is it in short. I helped describing these delusions by films to my pshyciotrist, whereas I felt that my life was very similar to the main actors in these films; The Truman Show, Shutter Island, The Machinist and Inception to name a few.
The following are some movies that also speak to me at a very high level whereas I can connect insanely much of what happens in them to my own delusions, illness and life; Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, A Beautiful Mind, Adaptation, A.I. ,Numb and Groundhog Day. There are plenty of other films, these are just on the top of my mind.
I also heard messages from songs, peoms, television and movies, signs, conversations and just about everything. Songs were my best source of messages tough.

Old 08-24-2012, 06:05 AM   #12
(female)

RJV58 HB User

I have internal dialogues but it's just me talking through stuff. Sometimes I talk aloud to myself. But thats very normal for me. It could be a habit.
Voices however are a result of some chemical imbalance in the brain. This can be treated by taking meds. The best is to ignore them, I guess as they instill great fear and distress.
Best is to talk it out with the shrink.

Closed Thread