It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Schizophrenia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2011, 08:09 PM   #1
(female)

taniia HB User
After 17 years, do I have Schizophrenia?

Ever since as a child, I have experienced quite a lot. I have seen shadows passing through the walls, voices in my head, this different personality. It was not as bad as a child, it seemed perfectly normal to me. My father has Schizophrenia, could this be passing on to me?
As I reached my teenage years, things have gotten worse. I feel that I can be anything, and become a complete different person, sometimes I can't tell from what's wrong and right. When I have my "dark"days, I can read people, and feel nothing for them, no matter who it is. I have no feeling towards anyone. The voices in my head are intoxicated with negative thoughts. I sometimes can't tell the difference if I am in a dream or if it is reality.
I can't really go to a hospital and try to tell a psychologist or anybody that I'm not crazy. What do you guys think?

Old 04-23-2011, 09:38 PM   #2
(female)

Aradia HB UserAradia HB User
Re: After 17 years, do I have Schizophrenia?

Having auditory hallucinations does not always qualify you as a schizophrenic. I can tell you this though...it is important to go see someone. If you are diagnosed with schizophrenia there are medications that can help. You don't have to live with hearing voices or seeing shadows. Please do not be afraid to talk to someone. Some people have diabetes, some have high blood pressure, others have schizophrenia. My aunt had schizophrenia and my brother has auditory schizophrenia. She didn't want meds and had a very poor quality of life. My brother is now taking meds and he is happy not to hear the voices anymore. Good luck to you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-23-2011, 09:43 PM   #3
(female)

taniia HB User

Watching my father take several medications, and him being like a zombie. I would rather take my chances as to be like the way I am

Last edited by taniia; 04-23-2011 at 09:46 PM.

Old 04-23-2011, 10:15 PM   #4
(female)

Sorry to hear that about your dad. My brother is not zombied out....could it be your dad needs to readjust his meds? Everyone reacts differently to different meds. You may not have schizophrenia at all, but you do want to know right? Remember, nobody could make you take meds if you don't want to. You might feel better at least knowing. I saw what my brother went through for so many years...the voices were really getting to him the older he got and although he was really upset with me for awhile because I nagged him to death, he now appreciates it (doesn't tell me, but I know..lol) and is doing really well.

Old 04-25-2011, 02:30 PM   #5
(female)

taniia HB User

Well I guess my father is a different story. If I were to go to the hospital and tell them about what I have experienced, I may be sent to an other hospital..That's what I'm afraid of. It strange, because all my sisters went through with this, and they are fine today. Well, maybe that's what is happening to me, but it's still happening and I don't know if it will ever go away.

Old 04-25-2011, 02:40 PM   #6
(female)

Are you saying the hospital will keep you without your consent? Like lock you up?? I could see them trying to keep someone who is a danger to society or themselves but it sounds to me like you just want to get diagnosed.

Old 04-25-2011, 02:47 PM   #7
(female)

taniia HB User

They probably can keep me locked up, they don't need my consent, I'm not even legal, it would probably up to my parents to put me in there or not. I don't feel like I'm danger to society..It's not that I want to be diagnosed, but to just know what is wrong with me, and get other opinions on it. Well, to be honest, where I live..They don't really care about patients like with mental illnesses..They just lock them up in a hospital 20 minutes away.. they almost killed my father by prescribing him too much medication.

The following user gives a hug of support to taniia:
Aradia (04-25-2011)
Old 04-25-2011, 03:03 PM   #8
(female)

I really don't think they'll lock you up for schizophrenia. You are not being a threat to anyone. Maybe someone will come along who knows the system in Canada that can help. I'm sorry you don't trust because of what you saw your father go through. There are people out there who really care.....I promise you that. There are alternative things you might be able to take that they sell in the health food stores, if we only knew what you had. Just hang in there...someone may come along that can help. In the meantime the fact that you want to know is a great thing because it shows you want to do something about it

The Following User Says Thank You to Aradia For This Useful Post:
taniia (04-25-2011)
Closed Thread