It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Schizophrenia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2011, 08:42 PM   #1
(female)

leapfrog4u HB User
Angry How do I report an unethical therapist?

I have been seeing a therapist since August or September. She seemed really nice. She claimed to be a Christian. Well, I started babysitting a week or two ago. She thought that that was horrible of me. She threatened to call Child Protective Services on me for babysitting (I do have schizophrenia, but it is well controlled with meds). I called her yesterday, because I wanted to babysit, so I found a new counselor, one who wouldn't judge me. Well, she said she was going to call CPS. I told her I would stay with her and not babysit, and she said she wasn't playing my stupid games. I am so mad. Well, a few hours later, the cops are at my door, and they are saying that they had gotten a call saying that I had stopped seeing my therapist and that she was worried that I was suicidal. Today, Adult Protective Services showed up saying that they had a complaint that I was living alone and was't capable of doing so. First of all, I live with m dad, and my counselor knew this. She had told them that I wasn't taking my meds, and that I didn't make enough money to make it through the month. I never gave any implication as to any of this. I would like to report her, as she went out of her way to make things up out of the blue, and I don't want her to be able to do it again to someone else. Luckily I wasn't hauled off to the hospital. I won't let her get the best of me. CPS hasn't yet showed up, but I don't doubt that they will. I am so angry right now. I need to know of the proper avenues to go through. Please help!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-16-2011, 07:59 AM   #2
(female)

Mande HB User
Re: How do I report an unethical therapist?

Hi there,

Sometimes therapists will exaggerate the truth if they feel the patient needs immediate attention from authorities (cops, CPS)
It's not something they want to do but these authorities are so busy that they can only take the serious cases quickly. What your therapist was doing was protecting you and the children you babysat. She didn't want an accident to happen that would harm you or them. Your original therapist cared very much for you even though it seems like she didn't with all of the things she did. Although I do not like the phrase "not playing your stupid games" and I think that your therapist could have said it nicer, I think she was trying to protect you and the children as well. Schizophrenia is very serious and sometimes dangerous. Just like if someone had seizures every now and then, they shouldn't be driving? That is how it is only you have a different illness. You're not an incapable or bad person, you just have some limitations.

Old 05-16-2011, 04:41 PM   #3
(female)

leapfrog4u HB User

CPS showed up the next day., The only claim that thisstupid therapist made that was true hat could hold was that I weasn'tliceansed. Apparently in TX you have to have a babysitting license. I think she is a liar anda backstabber. I am turning her in. Myh new therapist gave me the information, and even recommended I turn her in. That was all I needed. My new therapist saw no reason that I should not be able to babysit. Sure, I will have spisodes every now and then, but who is to say that someone will get hurt?

Old 10-27-2011, 04:51 PM   #4
(male)

Untreated HB User

WOW, that is outrageous. I feel for you and i think you should start with the paper work you signed when you were intaked. It usually has the grievance policy. Also if your counselor works in an agency that is funded by a certain organization i would try to contact them. Examples are MHA or OASIS or OMH. good luck

Old 10-27-2011, 11:02 PM   #5
(male)

synpase321 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by leapfrog4u View Post
I have been seeing a therapist since August or September. She seemed really nice. She claimed to be a Christian. Well, I started babysitting a week or two ago. She thought that that was horrible of me. She threatened to call Child Protective Services on me for babysitting (I do have schizophrenia, but it is well controlled with meds). I called her yesterday, because I wanted to babysit, so I found a new counselor, one who wouldn't judge me. Well, she said she was going to call CPS. I told her I would stay with her and not babysit, and she said she wasn't playing my stupid games. I am so mad. Well, a few hours later, the cops are at my door, and they are saying that they had gotten a call saying that I had stopped seeing my therapist and that she was worried that I was suicidal. Today, Adult Protective Services showed up saying that they had a complaint that I was living alone and was't capable of doing so. First of all, I live with m dad, and my counselor knew this. She had told them that I wasn't taking my meds, and that I didn't make enough money to make it through the month. I never gave any implication as to any of this. I would like to report her, as she went out of her way to make things up out of the blue, and I don't want her to be able to do it again to someone else. Luckily I wasn't hauled off to the hospital. I won't let her get the best of me. CPS hasn't yet showed up, but I don't doubt that they will. I am so angry right now. I need to know of the proper avenues to go through. Please help!!
I don't know which country you are from but here in the UK a therapist can only break confidentiality if they think you are at harm yourself eg suicidal or are about to harm someone else.

From what I have read above your therapist he/she was totally out of order.

You could ask your current counselor of the complaints procedure. All therapist belong to a professional body which has the power to revoke their license although I am not 100% whether this is the case with counselors.

Google " making complaint about a counselor ".

When she called the Police it seems she was economical about what she said as she did not want to be seen as a fool and only gave the basic facts about why she wanted the police to be involved

Last edited by synpase321; 10-27-2011 at 11:03 PM.

Closed Thread