It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Schizophrenia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2011, 01:01 AM   #1
(male)

koolguy HB User
Fear induced by antipsychotic medication

I've written about this issue many times on this board but here it goes again.

When I take an antipsychotic med like zyprexa I get the following symptoms which are quite distressing:

- my eyes lose focus and roll upwards
- blurred vision
- fear
- paranoia
- confusion
- negative intrusive thoughts
- numbness around extremities
- deafened sound
- idea of reference
- hearing voices
- 'interference' of thinking

The most worrying symptom for me is fear. I get scared and paranoid and this happens two or three times a week and each often lasts for five hours.

Anyone else got this fear from an antipsychotic med? I'm taking 7.5mg resperidone consta depot injection plus 15mg zyprexa zydis.

Last edited by koolguy; 07-27-2011 at 01:03 AM. Reason: Wanted to specify which med I'm taking

Old 08-01-2011, 01:41 AM   #2
(male)

koolguy HB User
Re: Fear induced by antipsychotic medication

i obtained xanax from my gp and it seems to work very well.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-01-2011, 02:27 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

I am sorry to hear of you issues with you medications. I am happy to hear that the xanax is providing you some relief. What dosage of the xanax are you using to get that relief?

Has it completely taken the symptoms and the fears away? i have taken xanax as well to help with my Blood Pressure when I am anxious. At this point I have not needed it for quite some time, which I like too.

I hope you continue to improve and your life gets better each day!

Old 08-01-2011, 03:00 PM   #4
(male)

blueforest HB User

Hi Coolguy...

It seems a little odd that the meds are causing some of those symptoms.
If that is the case speak to the pdoc about it.

Fear was an issue for me during the acute phase but the meds I was given did seem to help.

hope things work out

blueforest

Old 08-03-2011, 10:02 PM   #5
(female)

Sienna46 HB User

I used to take Zyprexa but switched to Ambilify. I used to feel very numb and gained weight on Zyprexa. Really sorry to hear you're feeling terrible side effects :-(

Ask your doctor about Ambilify as an alternative. I take 15mg daily.

I also take a cocktail of vitamins which appear to be helping. I've recently lowered my dosage:

Ginkgo biloba
Vitamin C
Vitamin A
Vitamin E
Vitamin D
Vitamin B3
Vitamin B6
Vitamin B12
Folic acid
Zinc

Also, try Omega-3 and 6 with EPA and DHA. Obviously talk to your doctor first about this. They're cheap on the internet.

Have a great day!

Old 08-08-2011, 01:33 AM   #6
(male)

koolguy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by writeleft View Post
I am sorry to hear of you issues with you medications. I am happy to hear that the xanax is providing you some relief. What dosage of the xanax are you using to get that relief?

Has it completely taken the symptoms and the fears away? i have taken xanax as well to help with my Blood Pressure when I am anxious. At this point I have not needed it for quite some time, which I like too.

I hope you continue to improve and your life gets better each day!
Hi writeleft and guys.

I am taking 0.025mg of Xanax(Valium) and it works well to counter the extreme agitation i feel.

I'm gonna ask for cogentin for rolling up of eyes and tongue, possibly tomorrow. I hope this drug will be the cure for the fear induced by antipsychotic meds and other symptoms.

Wish me luck

Old 08-09-2011, 12:58 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

Best of luck to you! The dosage of xanax is the lowest one, and the one I take as well. As long as it works, keep on using it. We are right behind you all the way..stay strong and keep moving forward.

Janet

Old 08-11-2011, 03:27 AM   #8
(male)

koolguy HB User

I think what I'm having is less of an akathisia and none of anxiety but more of dystonic reactions, in that my eyes roll up, my face becomes numb, and my eyes become blurry. I have obtained diazepam and cogentin from doc and tried both this afternoon, and it seemed to work in that I don't get agitated as much and my eyes don't roll up. So in conclusion, I think I'm having acute dystonia and not akathisia.

Old 08-11-2011, 03:48 AM   #9
Inactive
(female)

I learned some things I never knew by reading your post as well and keeping yourself safe. Good job at both today.

Old 08-18-2011, 04:59 AM   #10
(male)

koolguy HB User

So basically the workings of how my side effect works:
1. Vision gets blurry and/or out of focus. Also after a while I get lookups(my eyes roll upwards).
2. Vision effects induces fear and agitation that gradually increases until it's unbearable if cogentin is not taken.
3. Anxiety as mentioned in step 2 quickly causes me to hear voices. Taking Valium or Xanax helps but they are habit-forming so my doc discourages me to take them.
4. Cogentin gets rid of visual effects so the cause for anxiety is eliminated which in turn means all the distressing factors are eliminated(agitation, hearing voices and lookups).
PS. I kind of think, opposed to doc's advise if I take Valium in addition to cogentin I would be relieved of distress more quickly, but let's try in the next few weeks with only cogentin first, then if that doesn't work quickly enough valium too.

The plan for the treating team is gradually over the next six or eight weeks my dosage of zyprexa will be reduced until nil then I would only continue to get resperidone consta injects every two weeks. I'm feeling well and I decided to take valium immediately upon experiencing those 'visual effects', especially 'out of focus' phenomenon.

I'm under CTO(Community Treatment Order) for six months in my country. I still got six months remaining, I think. I need to get injections every two weeks for the remaining period. So far I'm handling it well. I feel well enough and except for sleep problems I don't have much problems. The only worry some side effect I have the one associated with lookups, as I have mentioned at length above it can be effectively treated with cogentin, so I'm relieved.

The conclusion is that congentin takes away the fear, agitation and lookups. I hope the info here will be helpful to someone experiencing the same symptoms.

Last edited by koolguy; 08-18-2011 at 05:25 AM. Reason: Also wanted to mention about prospects about CTO

Old 08-22-2011, 03:04 AM   #11
(male)

koolguy HB User

All times in PM:
5:00 felt a little scary feeling in the background so decided to head home
5:10 took cogentin
5:30 took diazepam
6:30 lookups as I walk home. rang acute care and asked if i could take another cogentin. they said yes.
7:00 took another cogentin
7:10 returned to normal

The question is if I took the second cogentin earlier wouldn't it help me to recover sooner? Like if I took it at 5:40 after diazepam, could I have recovered by 6:00?

7:30 all other signs are gone but i still hear voices
7:40 still hear voices

When will I stop hearing voices? Don't seem to be hearing any now. So it took another 1hr for me to stop hearing voices. So altogether 3hrs. If I took the second cogentin earlier it would be 2hrs.

So plan of action is that next time if I take cogentin first then doesn't recover within 30 minutes then take another.

Conclusion: take max two tablets of cogentin per day if necessary.

Old 08-23-2011, 12:31 AM   #12
(male)

koolguy HB User
Felt a little scared at around mid day so took cogentin once early. So far I'm OK(5:30PM). I want to test if at all times I will be OK if I take cogentin twice(2mgx2). I will wait for next two weeks.

I need to ask the doc if they can lower the dosage of zyprexa to 10mg from 15mg.

I have found the solution to how to cope with uneasy feeling that I get that is associated with dystonic reaction I get with antipsychotic meds I'm taking. Simply, I just need to sit down on my chair, close my eyes, then relax until I feel well. So getting rid of stress due to being anxious about getting scared helps alot.

I'm reluctant to go outside because I'm afraid I might have to take cogentin and it might not work.

BUT I consoled myself( and it seemed to work) that I can always take two instead of one cogentin when the dystonic reaction happens.

Last edited by Mod-S4; 09-30-2012 at 01:36 AM. Reason: Posts merged.

Old 08-24-2011, 10:06 PM   #13
(male)

koolguy HB User
I came to uni to study instead of home. Will take two congentin not one if i get scared. Boiled water for noodles. Anxiety problems decreased because I focus on my studies better.

I came home safely without dystonia. No worries. Even if I did Ive got two tablets of cogentin and heaps more and that would address the problem.

Last edited by Mod-S4; 09-30-2012 at 01:37 AM. Reason: Posts merged.

Old 08-25-2011, 11:38 AM   #14
(male)

synpase321 HB User

Hi Koolguy

Let me start by saying it is a relief in some way to find someone that

suffers like I do.

In brief, I have had schizophrenia for the past 20 years when i was taking depixol injection. I have in that time been on several antipsychotics including abilify, zyprexa, seroquel etc and also several antidepressants in combination.

I have had these so called fear attacks or what I term anxiety all that time.

I also had the eye rolling which was called ocular gyrocrisis when in hospital which went away when i was put on the new antipsychotics.

I can't say with certainty whether it is medication induced or not as you may well know if I stop my current meds (resperidol, amisulpiriide, paroxetine and amitryptyline) then you risk getting ill and being sectioned.
Regards

a Friend

The Following User Says Thank You to synpase321 For This Useful Post:
koolguy (08-26-2011)
Old 08-25-2011, 04:26 PM   #15
(male)

koolguy HB User
At uni now. Don't have uneasy feeling at the moment. Will start studying now.

Had lecture. Nothing more today but I will try to stay at uni and not go home. Trying to resist being anxious being scared about a dystonic reaction. My strategy is to take my time in doing things. For example, instead of going straight home after lecture, I'm having lunch and taking my time about it. Two tablets of cogentin will work just in case.

My rule is to go home after 5pm. So that will roughly leave me 1 hour to eat lunch and maximum of three hours of study at uni. Dystonic reaction might occur towards the 5 o'clock mark but I'm ready.

Say I get it at 5o'clock while waiting for the train home. Just take two tablets of cogentin right away with water. Then wait for 20 minutes for the drug to work. Then I should be fine by 5:30 or 6 o'clock, which by the time I would be walking home after leaving the train.

Last edited by Mod-S4; 09-30-2012 at 01:37 AM. Reason: Posts merged.

Closed Thread