It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Schizophrenia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2011, 05:04 PM   #1
(male)

hizukit HB User
Signs I'm possibly developing schizophrenia?

Hey,

Last month I started a new job that's quite demanding. During work days I get like 5 hours of sleep and so I drink a lot of really strong coffee, probably equivalent to 5-6 cups of regular coffee, just to stay awake.

Since then I began having thoughts that sometimes feel like they are disconnected..
I've always had a lot of inner dialogue, which is more abstract than with actual words and I think that's normal. But these thoughts are different. It feels like when you're extremely sleep deprived and you doze off and you mumble incoherent sentences, except I don't doze off. Like I would be thinking or doing something and suddenly these quick random associations or words jump into my head, but they feel so random and disconnected from my normal line of thought that it's like they're not my own.

For example, I was feeding and playing with my cat when suddenly the words "hitler did it" just pop into my head. It felt like my own thought, in my voice at first, but a second later it was like it was echoing in my head and now it was completely foreign.

Or I'm washing my face and I think about the past day's events when in comes a new thought, like this totally random thought about having to milk a cow, then back to my line of thought, then another random thought I can't remember, and then "well you'd better do it", again, in my own voice but a second later it felt.... different. Especially since it had nothing to do with anything I was thinking about.

I got pretty worried after that so I came here looking for insight.

I'm hoping it's just temporary and was caused by a combo of lack of sleep and mild caffeine overdose (I remember reading that a high intake of caffeine can cause side effects that are similar to psychosis).

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-17-2011, 09:05 PM   #2
(male)

koolguy HB User
Re: Signs I'm possibly developing schizophrenia?

Yes it is due to too much coffee intake.

Are you on any medication at the moment?

Last edited by koolguy; 09-17-2011 at 09:06 PM.

Old 09-18-2011, 09:50 AM   #3
(male)

hizukit HB User
Re: Signs I'm possibly developing schizophrenia?

Thank you for replying.
Nope, no medication currently (though I used to take a citalopram based medication a couple of years ago). No known family history of mental illness.
I was never a heavy coffee drinker, so I'm inclined to think it's the caffeine.

Closed Thread