It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Schizophrenia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2012, 06:35 PM   #1
(male)

SlickRick1 HB User
Do YOU have a full time job?

***Sooo, if you ARE working -- how do you do it?? Are you able to function at work normally? How long have you been doing it since your first episode? Do your meds hold you back? Do you find yourself sedated / lethargic at work? Do you have any symptoms / delusions / etc at work or can you control them? How long have you been at your job? Are you happy / content with the way things are going? Does your employer know / have any idea about your condition?

I find myself unable to work for the past twelve months and find it pretty depressing... And I believe that now, in the position I'm in, the side effects of my meds are what are ultimately holding me back from working full time again (side fx; lethargy, sedation, lack of motivation)

Before meds I was fine energy-wise, but I've been on meds consistently for 8 months now and I find myself wayy too sedated (sleep anywhere 12-16 hours a day), lethargic,and lacking in motivattion to do any work. I don't know what I'm going to do?? I've been on Zyprexa and Risperdal both meds had the same side effects effects and I'm currently / slowly switching to Abilify, which I pray will help and cause much less side effects.

When I was off meds, I would have a psychotic episode when put under too much stress and start to be become so delusional that I couldn't concentrate or function at work, usually leading to me being fired or quitting. I haven't done any type of work in seven months.

So it looks like with meds, I'm too sedated and lethargic too work, and without meds, i'm too unstable and delusional to work when put under too much stress. I feel like I'm at a dead end here. I've already applied for social security last July, got denied, and am currently in the appeal process. But the process for social security takes too long, and I won't know if it would even provide enough money, and it's not guaranteed I'd get approved, and I'd much rather work and earn my living!

Replies / insights / feedback / experiences greatly appreciated and needed here. Thanks so much!!! I have much respect for you

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-06-2012, 10:23 AM   #2
(male)

Feelsick HB UserFeelsick HB UserFeelsick HB User
Re: Do YOU have a full time job?

Hey there I'm 23 years old have always been weird delusional thinking seein things having dreams of the future that come true so a couple years ago I saw a doctor for anxiety got klonopin anxiety decreased but started seeing things and hearing things so I got put on Prozac had a psychotic episode and allergic reaction so I stuck with klonopin for a while til I couldn't function at work or home and I have a daughter who is now two and I have studied psychology over the past five years or so in efforts to become a psychiatrist but I have been at my job for two years I'm a night janitor at a highschool I have been on abilify which caused twitching and extreme fatigue so after a few months and a seizure I switched to seroquel and I also take klonopin still as needed but m. Symptoms have been under control since the seroquel and now symptoms are returning abruptly so I have to up my dosages but I find music helps journal writing especially in the middle of delusions or episodes I also have pain issues due to injuries and I take muscle relaxers and do simple yoga and smoke cannibus which I wouldn't recommend for anyone with mental issues unless they have tried it with good results but it eases my pain and anxiety and nausa from my medication so I also drink a couple cups of coffee a day usually after cannibus or klonopin use to prevent episodes of mania delusions panick attacks I hav. Also recently took up babysitting as a second job the stress is rough but I make it work I'm always up for personal via email convos an peer to peer counseling but know you can do it find a routine the right meds and coping with side effects

Closed Thread