HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Schizophrenia (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/schizophrenia/)
-   -   What do schizophrenics do with their time? (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/schizophrenia/913859-what-do-schizophrenics-do-their-time.html)

szcyborg 08-12-2012 02:21 PM

What do schizophrenics do with their time?

Hello,
I am a 28-year old white male who has been diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia for 10 years. Although, I've likely been suffering from it for 15 years. I am an only child and both my parents are deceased. I have no aunts/uncles and all my grandparents are dead. I am on Social Security and live a reclusive life confined mainly to my apartment. Getting a job is out of the question at this stage in my life but I won't give up hope.

My question to all of you is: What do you do with your time? I'm assuming many of you cannot work and may be living with loved ones but aside from family and a few friends, what do you do on an average day? Where do you go?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Sanderz77 08-18-2012 02:25 PM

Re: What do schizophrenics do with their time?

In a similar position myself except that I have a family. Even though they are not a big part of my life due to my schizophrenia, I can still talk to them whenever I truly need it, but I don't include them much in my life.
I am also sorry for your situation.

My advise for things to do might not seem appealing to everyone, I know that, but it works for me, albeit just barely at some points.

-I just love playing video games and everything in the VG genre. I spend a lot of time playing just a single game and love 100% completion on them. I also spend quite a time reading all about VG's, the news, the online show's and just getting info on some games.
-I also quite enjoy football(soccer). witch tend to take up almost a hole day when games are on.
-I can usually spend some time watching some stuff on TV, mainly Discovery.
-What I tend do do most parts of most days is simply watching movies and tv shows that I ********. Just try and find ANYTHING you might be interested in watching.
-Of course I do spend a good amount of time surfing the web.
-Then my favourate thing to do is when I get to take gadgets apart and try to fix them, although it doesn't happen as often as I would like.

These are my daily routines, add in some time spent smoking, eating and sleeping.
I don't recommend to anyone spending there day's like I do, but maybe you can take 1 or even 2 ideas from it and make it into something you will enjoy on daily basis. The key is having fun alone.

RJV58 08-21-2012 08:55 AM

Hi. This is my first post so yeah. I read alot. I don't know why I have a compulsion to read. I find it therapeutic, I guess. I have schiz and I feel like there's a hole in my mind. So I have this need to stuff info in it.
Other times I'd be online. I kind of lost some relationships in life so I stay home with the fam all the time. They help with my condition.
Yeah.. You could get help from people, I guess.

elizabeth62 08-21-2012 09:20 AM

I don't work due to stomach issues and my kids are mostly grown and gone, so I have a lot of time on my hands, too.

I volunteer one day a week at an animal shelter. I shop, track down really good deals on the internet, finding coupons etc. I do some day trading and doubled my husbands retirement in 4 years. (The part he asked me to play with). I read. A LOT. I watch videos about how to do things...
I recently learned how to make sushi rolls and bento boxes. I take care of my yard and socialize a little. I'm thinking about taking a class or 2 next semester.
I spend quite a bit of time planning and cooking meals, though not as much time as I used to.

Sienna46 09-05-2012 09:55 PM

Can I first say how sorry I am that you have no family to lean on for support.

This forum is super friendly & I'd love to lend you some helpful (I hope!) support.

I am a recovering schizophrenic. Like me, you are probably taking anti-psychotics (I take Ambilify) and possibly an anti-depressant (I take Lexapro). I see a pyschiatrist every month & the best advice he's given me is:

1. (after break fast) 9am - 12 noon EXERCISE every day if you can and try to give up smoking if you are a smoker. Start slowly, so perhaps walk 3 - 5 times a week. This will give you more energy and release endorphins. Move up from walking to jogging and then try shuttle runs. Shuttle runs means you jog slowly for a period in 1 direction and then run quickly for a period in 1 direction and keep going (back and forth) for 30 - 45 minutes. Exercise will give you a positive focus.

2. 12 noon to 2pm - lunch break & do something you love. Do you have a hobby?

3. 2 to 4pm - Do chores and shopping (and look for jobs if you are looking to go back to work - try to make 1 job application a day) or do some gentle stetches.

4. 4 to 5pm - Prepare dinner and eat.

5. 5 to 6pm - Clean up dinner and relax.

6. 6pm to bed time - write a blog on how you are dealing with schizophrenia living on your own. Blogs are free and are a great emotional/informational outlet and will keep you busy. This is just a tentative suggestion :-) I am a huge fan of Law & Order SVU and Criminal Minds - I watch these shows in the evening but I try to limit TV to no more than 3 hours a day.

You might like to try a multivitamin that is tailored for sufferers of schizophrenia that is made in the USA called "SBX". It's quite cheap and is great to help you optimize your well-being. I use it every day.

I hope this is helpful and good luck with your journey to recovery.

Lorenucia 11-28-2012 04:37 PM

I have both scizophrenia and bi-polar disorder so it depends. I go into "slumps" a couple of times a year where I basically sit in a chair and pray for death. The only activity I do in a slump is walk and feed my dogs. When I come out of my slumps, I'm very active. I practice yoga. I walk. I enjoy step-aerobics. My gym membership is only $25/month so I take advantage of the classes they offer. I just came out of a major slump and that's why I'm on the computer right now. When I'm in a slump, I don't go online. I'm going to take a cooking class in the spring. I just made homemade raw chocolate. I want to go back to the mental illness support group that I was attending before the slump hit. I talked on the phone for an hour and a half with a friend today that I didn't talk to for the 5 months that I was in this latest slump. I posted on Facebook. I went shopping. Life is good when I come out of the hole.

soapandstars 12-16-2012 05:12 PM

i am going to school, on disability so i can get benefits that make it easier. i paint and i write and i watch bad television shows, like most people.

i just started working for the stop stigma organization. we go to places like high schools and talk about stigma that people with mental illness face and tell our stories. i am very passionate about it and it almost makes what i'm going through worthwhile. almost. the kids are amazing. you can really change lives for the better.

it is hard but i am doing the best that i can. i try to stay busy so i'm not tempted to use drugs, but i have to monitor my stress so i don't have problems with psychosis. no matter how perfect i act though, these problems still arise. it is hard to go to movies and concerts because of how loud and overwhelming everything can be. and i sleep a lot, because of my meds.

i also go to the gym because my antipsychotics cause so much weight gain. it is hard to work through the fatigue but it makes me feel a lot better.