It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Schizophrenia Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2012, 03:21 PM   #1
(male)

szcyborg HB User
What do schizophrenics do with their time?

Hello,
I am a 28-year old white male who has been diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia for 10 years. Although, I've likely been suffering from it for 15 years. I am an only child and both my parents are deceased. I have no aunts/uncles and all my grandparents are dead. I am on Social Security and live a reclusive life confined mainly to my apartment. Getting a job is out of the question at this stage in my life but I won't give up hope.

My question to all of you is: What do you do with your time? I'm assuming many of you cannot work and may be living with loved ones but aside from family and a few friends, what do you do on an average day? Where do you go?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-18-2012, 03:25 PM   #2
(male)

Sanderz77 HB User
Re: What do schizophrenics do with their time?

In a similar position myself except that I have a family. Even though they are not a big part of my life due to my schizophrenia, I can still talk to them whenever I truly need it, but I don't include them much in my life.
I am also sorry for your situation.

My advise for things to do might not seem appealing to everyone, I know that, but it works for me, albeit just barely at some points.

-I just love playing video games and everything in the VG genre. I spend a lot of time playing just a single game and love 100% completion on them. I also spend quite a time reading all about VG's, the news, the online show's and just getting info on some games.
-I also quite enjoy football(soccer). witch tend to take up almost a hole day when games are on.
-I can usually spend some time watching some stuff on TV, mainly Discovery.
-What I tend do do most parts of most days is simply watching movies and tv shows that I ********. Just try and find ANYTHING you might be interested in watching.
-Of course I do spend a good amount of time surfing the web.
-Then my favourate thing to do is when I get to take gadgets apart and try to fix them, although it doesn't happen as often as I would like.

These are my daily routines, add in some time spent smoking, eating and sleeping.
I don't recommend to anyone spending there day's like I do, but maybe you can take 1 or even 2 ideas from it and make it into something you will enjoy on daily basis. The key is having fun alone.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-21-2012, 09:55 AM   #3
(female)

RJV58 HB User

Hi. This is my first post so yeah. I read alot. I don't know why I have a compulsion to read. I find it therapeutic, I guess. I have schiz and I feel like there's a hole in my mind. So I have this need to stuff info in it.
Other times I'd be online. I kind of lost some relationships in life so I stay home with the fam all the time. They help with my condition.
Yeah.. You could get help from people, I guess.

Old 08-21-2012, 10:20 AM   #4
(female)

elizabeth62 HB Userelizabeth62 HB Userelizabeth62 HB Userelizabeth62 HB User

I don't work due to stomach issues and my kids are mostly grown and gone, so I have a lot of time on my hands, too.

I volunteer one day a week at an animal shelter. I shop, track down really good deals on the internet, finding coupons etc. I do some day trading and doubled my husbands retirement in 4 years. (The part he asked me to play with). I read. A LOT. I watch videos about how to do things...
I recently learned how to make sushi rolls and bento boxes. I take care of my yard and socialize a little. I'm thinking about taking a class or 2 next semester.
I spend quite a bit of time planning and cooking meals, though not as much time as I used to.

Last edited by Administrator; 08-21-2012 at 10:58 AM.

Old 09-05-2012, 10:55 PM   #5
(female)

Sienna46 HB User

Can I first say how sorry I am that you have no family to lean on for support.

This forum is super friendly & I'd love to lend you some helpful (I hope!) support.

I am a recovering schizophrenic. Like me, you are probably taking anti-psychotics (I take Ambilify) and possibly an anti-depressant (I take Lexapro). I see a pyschiatrist every month & the best advice he's given me is:

1. (after break fast) 9am - 12 noon EXERCISE every day if you can and try to give up smoking if you are a smoker. Start slowly, so perhaps walk 3 - 5 times a week. This will give you more energy and release endorphins. Move up from walking to jogging and then try shuttle runs. Shuttle runs means you jog slowly for a period in 1 direction and then run quickly for a period in 1 direction and keep going (back and forth) for 30 - 45 minutes. Exercise will give you a positive focus.

2. 12 noon to 2pm - lunch break & do something you love. Do you have a hobby?

3. 2 to 4pm - Do chores and shopping (and look for jobs if you are looking to go back to work - try to make 1 job application a day) or do some gentle stetches.

4. 4 to 5pm - Prepare dinner and eat.

5. 5 to 6pm - Clean up dinner and relax.

6. 6pm to bed time - write a blog on how you are dealing with schizophrenia living on your own. Blogs are free and are a great emotional/informational outlet and will keep you busy. This is just a tentative suggestion :-) I am a huge fan of Law & Order SVU and Criminal Minds - I watch these shows in the evening but I try to limit TV to no more than 3 hours a day.

You might like to try a multivitamin that is tailored for sufferers of schizophrenia that is made in the USA called "SBX". It's quite cheap and is great to help you optimize your well-being. I use it every day.

I hope this is helpful and good luck with your journey to recovery.

Old 11-28-2012, 05:37 PM   #6
(female)

Lorenucia HB User

I have both scizophrenia and bi-polar disorder so it depends. I go into "slumps" a couple of times a year where I basically sit in a chair and pray for death. The only activity I do in a slump is walk and feed my dogs. When I come out of my slumps, I'm very active. I practice yoga. I walk. I enjoy step-aerobics. My gym membership is only $25/month so I take advantage of the classes they offer. I just came out of a major slump and that's why I'm on the computer right now. When I'm in a slump, I don't go online. I'm going to take a cooking class in the spring. I just made homemade raw chocolate. I want to go back to the mental illness support group that I was attending before the slump hit. I talked on the phone for an hour and a half with a friend today that I didn't talk to for the 5 months that I was in this latest slump. I posted on Facebook. I went shopping. Life is good when I come out of the hole.

Old 12-16-2012, 06:12 PM   #7
(female)

soapandstars HB Usersoapandstars HB User

i am going to school, on disability so i can get benefits that make it easier. i paint and i write and i watch bad television shows, like most people.

i just started working for the stop stigma organization. we go to places like high schools and talk about stigma that people with mental illness face and tell our stories. i am very passionate about it and it almost makes what i'm going through worthwhile. almost. the kids are amazing. you can really change lives for the better.

it is hard but i am doing the best that i can. i try to stay busy so i'm not tempted to use drugs, but i have to monitor my stress so i don't have problems with psychosis. no matter how perfect i act though, these problems still arise. it is hard to go to movies and concerts because of how loud and overwhelming everything can be. and i sleep a lot, because of my meds.

i also go to the gym because my antipsychotics cause so much weight gain. it is hard to work through the fatigue but it makes me feel a lot better.

Reply Reply