It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Schizophrenia Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2012, 07:03 PM   #1
(male)

XRoper HB User
Possible Schizophrenia or Schizo affective disorder?

Mental illness may run in my family and Ive been having mild mental issues. besides basic anxeity, taking in too much information at once, migranes, and anti social attitudes, THe best way to describe my most distressing(and most recent) issue is getting stuck in a memory or daydream. If I start to think of something on a bad day, I start talking as if Im in the memory, and then I snap back into reality. could this be schizophrenia?

Old 12-16-2012, 07:23 PM   #2
(female)

soapandstars HB Usersoapandstars HB User
Re: Possible Schizophrenia or Schizo affective disorder?

this sounds more like anxiety to me than schizophrenia. are you hearing voices or seeing things or having "odd" beliefs that other people don't understand? that's what you really need to look out for when it comes to psychotic disorders. even symptoms like that are not always indicative of schizophrenia. a lot of other things can cause a dissociation from reality that could explain what you are experiencing.

be careful about self diagnosis. if you are worried, see a professional. mental illness can be genetic but everything has a better prognosis if you catch it early.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-16-2012, 07:31 PM   #3
(male)

XRoper HB User

Im going to a doctor in two weeks, and I know that there are multiple types of schizophrenia, that dont necessarily mean that I have to hear voices, but I know Im entering the at risk years, so I wanted to get a prognosis sooner rather than later. Im not too worried about it, as I cant do anything but treat it if I do, but thank you very much Most of the stuff I was mainly concerned about ive pretty much grown out of. and again thank you

Old 12-16-2012, 09:40 PM   #4
(female)

soapandstars HB Usersoapandstars HB User

you're right, hallucinations are not always part of the picture. they're only part of the 'positive' symptoms that some schizophrenics deal with, but negative and disorganized symptoms call also be going on and can be indicative of the disorder. a lot of people with schizophrenia can dissociate or get lost in memories, but i haven't heard of it being indicative. still, it's not out of the realm of possibility, and it's great that you're addressing that!

Reply Reply