It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Schizophrenia Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2012, 10:04 PM   #1
(female)

Sikota HB User
Exclamation Schizophrenia Concerns

So, for most of my life, I've heard voices in my head. They usually make fun of me, but it never really bothered me, but recently they made me cut myself, just lines on my forearm, nothing suicidal, but I got worried. I looked up schizophrenia because I had heard somewhere that it deals with auditory hallucinations. Pretty much all of the symptoms apply to me, but I'm a teen, and I really don't want to try having a conversation that goes something like "Hey mom, we need to talk." "Ok" "I've been hearing voices most of my life and I think I'm schizophrenic." Not a conversation I want to have with her. But I don't know what to do. I'm scared about this, stuck between my mental issues and dealing with my mom. Believe me, I tried once. Just to test her reaction I told her I was hearing whispering. Recently I had fought with my dad, so I said I thought I was stressed about that, and I had such a hard time with that because I don't want to make her lfie any harder, or have to deal with therapy or something. I just don't know what to do. Does anybody have any ideas to help me?

Last edited by mod85; 12-18-2012 at 02:05 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-17-2012, 11:17 PM   #2
(female)

soapandstars HB Usersoapandstars HB User
Re: Schizophrenia Concerns

I don't know quite what to say, because i dealt with something similar in being diagnosed. it was hard for my parents to accept because it's such a big word and such a debilitating illness. everyone thought i was making things up, or that i wanted attention, or that i was secretly a drug addict. they didn't want to realize the truth. it was because they loved me really, but it was incredibly damaging. it takes so much courage to talk about this stuff, so to be doubted? it made me feel like i had no one to talk to.

the thing is, you also have to remember that it is not likely this is schizophrenia. that doesn't mean it isn't awful and it isn't valid, it is just that there are a lot of other reasons to be having voices. it could be psychotic depression, psychosis not otherwise specified, schizo affective disorder, or something else. if you're going down the road of diagnosis you have to talk to a professional.

when i was having my first issues it was around your age, which is uncommon but still possible. i had to be tested for lesions, tumors, and seizures, get EKGs and CT scans and everything like that. it is an exhaustive process, because the alternatives are either preferable or dangerous.

i am not saying you are not schizophrenic, but i would suggest just talking about your experiences rather than labeling. if you do have the illness that is a bridge to cross, but usually these words end up scaring people more than making them understand. that is not how it should be, but it is how it is.

the wonderful thing about getting help is that you might be able to find some therapies and/or medications that could give you some relief. i was a cutter for a long time, often because of the voices, and it's still a struggle everyday. you are obviously already brave enough to talk about this on the internet, so i'm sure you are brave enough to talk to your mom about what is happening to you. if you start seeing a counselor or something they might have pointers about how you can bring it up.

my mom and dad doubted for a long time and had a lot of anger towards me, but now my parents are a source of some of my greatest support. i hope you find that yours will be a help instead of an obstacle on your road to recovery.

The Following User Says Thank You to soapandstars For This Useful Post:
Sikota (12-17-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-17-2012, 11:46 PM   #3
(female)

Sikota HB User

I really appreciate you taking the time to respond to this. It helps give me hope that maybe I can end up talking to my parents about it, although I'm still unsure. Your advice is also helpful, because I didn't really think of an outside source, such as a school counselor, to get support from. Thank you so much.

Old 12-17-2012, 11:58 PM   #4
(female)

soapandstars HB Usersoapandstars HB User

of course! i know how hard this stuff is to come to terms with, and facilitate others to come to terms with it, so i want to offer any help i can.

Reply Reply

Tags
schizo, schizophrenia, schizophrenic