It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Schizophrenia Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2013, 09:27 PM   #1
(female)

Purplepiper7 HB User
Red face Am I Schizophrenic or is it Just Another Obsession?

I'm new to posting on this site, but I do read it a lot on the internet. I should just start by saying that I've had ocd for my entire life. Lately, I have developed a fear of being schizophrenic. I know that you're going to say that if I was schizophrenic I wouldn't be able to tell that I was, but that's just not enough to convince me. I researched the symptoms online, and I don't really have anything except for the fact that I sometimes have conversations with myself (and obviously obsessive-compulsive "tendencies"). I do read other questions similar to mine, but just reading them doesn't seem to be enough to convince me. So I had to get a straight up answer. Today just wasn't a good day for me. I can't sleep and it's 11:30 at night. I'm really sorry but I desperately need an answer.

Old 06-13-2013, 11:01 PM   #2
(female)

soapandstars HB Usersoapandstars HB User
Re: Am I Schizophrenic or is it Just Another Obsession?

i am not a doctor, but i doubt you have schizophrenia. it might give you some comfort and clarity to see a professional to make sure, but the delusions, hallucinations, disorganization and lack of affect and reality testing are very severe in psychotic illnesses. i know that when you are scared and suffering and you read about something it's hard not to self diagnose, but i would recommend against it. talking to yourself might disturb you or get in the way of living, but it's not a symptom. sometimes your inner monologue can seem so vivid it almost feels like a hallucination, but it is usually considered intrusive thoughts, a main sign of OCD. i am wondering, do you feel like the diagnosis of OCD doesn't explain everything? is there something left unsaid, something that doesn't fit? because among mental illnesses there is a lot of overlap.

remember, ocd can be very severe and can cause a lot of suffering. schizophrenia is a big word that carries a lot of stigma but you don't need a label like that to prove that you are in pain. the brain is very mysterious to scientists and it can be hard to make a proper diagnosis, but i would not worry. you sound very lucid and that's not to say that people who have schizophrenia are not capable of it. i myself am afflicted but can sometimes be coherent. along with my schizophrenia i have not full blown ocd but still some obsessive compulsive traits. if you have any questions for me i can try my best to answer. but keep in mind only a doctor can make a proper diagnosis.

The Following User Says Thank You to soapandstars For This Useful Post:
Purplepiper7 (06-15-2013)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-15-2013, 08:28 PM   #3
(female)

Purplepiper7 HB User
Re: Am I Schizophrenic or is it Just Another Obsession?

Thank you, I just can't seem to get over it because it seems so real! I get so afraid that I'm going to start hearing voices that every time I hear even the slightest thing it makes me freak out. I read somewhere that ocd can be a precursor to schizophrenia, and that only made it worse.

Last edited by Administrator; 06-15-2013 at 09:58 PM.

Reply Reply