It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Scoliosis Message Board

Breathing Issues - Scoliosis

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-12-2016, 10:56 AM   #1
Fyren5
(female)

Fyren5 HB User
Breathing Issues - Scoliosis

I had my X-RAY 3 years ago at the age of 15 and was told I have severe Scoliosis - however, I wasn't born with this. Nothing has been done since it was discovered. My next appointment with my Orthopedic doctor in March 2017 for a more recent X-RAY to see what has changed.

I've been experiencing what feels like "crushing lungs" on the left side of my body where my shortest curve is. My largest curve is on the right side. I'm leaning more toward the left now and starting to hunch over like Quasie-Modo.

Walking can be painful, especially long distances. However, no matter what distance I walk, it feels like my lung is crushing on the left side, leaving me quite breathless. Exercise in general is quite painful for me.

I'm just wondering if breathing difficulties is normal with someone with Scoliosis?

Edit: I also suffer from Lumbar Lordosis. The headaches I receive daily are horrifying.

Thank you.

Last edited by Fyren5; 12-12-2016 at 10:59 AM. Reason: Forgot to Mention Something

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-14-2016, 09:24 PM   #2
teteri66
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
Re: Breathing Issues - Scoliosis

Welcome to the board. I am sorry you are in pain and are having to wait so long for another appointment. I am surprised that with a diagnosis of severe scoliosis you have not been treated more aggressively.

Yes, your lungs can be affected by scoliosis. Scoliosis causes the bones of the spine (vertebrae) to corkscrew. This can cause the head to be carried off to one side and causes the placement of the shoulders and hips to be off. This curve, depending on its location, can affect the lungs, making it hard to breathe.

Last edited by teteri66; 12-14-2016 at 09:27 PM.

Old 12-15-2016, 06:15 PM   #3
Fyren5
(female)

Fyren5 HB User

Thank you for replying. I know, my parents are so angry at my GP. My Orthopedic never got back in touch for 3 years until a few months ago, and only got the letter for my new appointment in March 2017 for an updated X-RAY and to view the changes.

My family have noticed an extreme change in my posture. Having Lumbar Lordosis as well is a struggle. It's common in my family, probably genetic. The headaches I'm receiving are unbearable.

My largest curve degree is 60% and that's at the top, my bottom curve is around 40% and feels quite tight most of the time. My head is more comfortable leaning to the left, and so does the rest of my body..

Hoping 2017 is the start of actual recovery of years of constant pain..

Old 12-16-2016, 07:05 AM   #4
teteri66
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

I'm sorry I don't know more about the healthcare system where you live, so It is difficult to offer suggestions.

I would urge you to follow through with requests for treatment. Some people mistakenly believe that a curve will not get worse as you reach full growth, but that is simply not true. A severe curve can restrict the rib cage, which can affect the lungs, making it very difficult to breathe, and the heart.

The head is very heavy and you will carry it over the part of the spine that supports it best. In a normal spine the alignment of the spine is like a series of building blocks, balanced one atop the next. Once this gets out of alignment, problems occur.

I hope you can get treatment soon.

Old 12-20-2016, 11:13 AM   #5
care228
(male)

care228 HB User

I had an issue similar when I was younger. It was impossible for me to fully fill my lungs without a lot of pain. I had a lung infection and i was lucky i went in early to deal with it. I would say make an appointment for as soon as possible something lik e that is nothing to mess with!!!

Old 12-20-2016, 12:36 PM   #6
Fyren5
(female)

Fyren5 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icare22 View Post
I had an issue similar when I was younger. It was impossible for me to fully fill my lungs without a lot of pain. I had a lung infection and i was lucky i went in early to deal with it. I would say make an appointment for as soon as possible something lik e that is nothing to mess with!!!

I already had appointments for both my lungs and kidneys. Nothing came up, so they sent me on my way. I have to wait until March 2017 to get everything else sorted. Thanks for your reply.

Reply Reply