It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Scoliosis Message Board

Is scoliosis my fault and did I worsen it?

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-16-2017, 03:14 AM   #1
Thrax
(male)

Thrax HB User
Is scoliosis my fault and did I worsen it?

Hi, I have a 25° S curve scoliosis at 20 years. Did I cause this or worsen it? So is it my fault?

My mother always tells me it's my fault because when I was 14 to 16 years I was sitting uneven on the chair with my legs on the table for like 4 to 6 hours a day. (While using the computer) not everyday though.

I also had anxiety at school and psychosis sometime in life so I couldnt eat much. My weight went to 55 kilograms at 17 or 18 years. And im male. Now my weight is normal tho. I was given a pill (olanzapin) so in 2 weeks I gained like 15 kilograms fast.

Did any of this contribute to scoliosis and worsen it? Is it 100% my fault that I got scoliosis? Did I worsen it any little bit?

I really want to know the answer because when working out, I always think that its my fault and it hinders me from doing fun things. I am really anxious about it and I worry a lot.

Please tell me, did I worsen my scoliosis? Did I cause it? Is it my fault that I got it?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-16-2017, 05:57 AM   #2
Titchou
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Is scoliosis my fault and did I worsen it?

What does your doctor say? His is the most important opinion!

Old 06-16-2017, 07:07 AM   #3
Thrax
(male)

Thrax HB User

He says the causes are unknown and he doesnt know if I worsened it...
What do you all think?

Old 06-16-2017, 07:25 AM   #4
Queener
(female)

Queener HB User

If you can, talk to your doctor about your concerns. You can always do internet research on scoliosis. There really is a lot of information out there.

Old 06-16-2017, 08:59 AM   #5
quincy
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

Not even in the realm of your fault. Tendencies and inherited qualities based on genetic programming is the reason... i have slight scoliosis and lordosis.....i have excellent posture and always have, but I definitely have an imbalance.

You can do strengthening exercises, stretches, yoga, pilates etc to balance your posture. Be aware of how you sit, use the computer, phone, tablet, etc.

How bad is your scoliosis?

q

The following user gives a hug of support to quincy:
Thrax (06-19-2017)
The Following User Says Thank You to quincy For This Useful Post:
Thrax (06-16-2017)
Old 06-16-2017, 10:41 AM   #6
Thrax
(male)

Thrax HB User

It's not that bad. I have almost no pain at all. but i still want to know if its my fault?

Old 06-16-2017, 11:21 AM   #7
Thrax
(male)

Thrax HB User

I still dont get it.
Some people like you tell me its 100% genetics and other people tell me you can worsen scoliosis with posture or by carrying heavy backpacks...
What is true now?

I merely want to know if scoliosis is my fault and if I worsened it somehow?
Please explain in detail if I worsened my scoliosis or not, if I'm at fault or not.
There is this burden on me that thinks I'm at fault and I worsened it somehow.

Old 06-16-2017, 08:30 PM   #8
Titchou
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

So my question to you is - what difference would it make? It is what it is. Concentrate on what you need to do to get better or halt any progression.That's where your efforts should lie.

Old 06-17-2017, 11:09 AM   #9
Thrax
(male)

Thrax HB User

It would make a difference. Trust me.
Now tell me did I WORSEN my scoliosis or cause it?

Old 06-17-2017, 12:31 PM   #10
Thrax
(male)

Thrax HB User

I would appreciate more answers, explaining why it is/isn't my fault and if I worsened scoliosis.

Old 06-17-2017, 07:59 PM   #11
Titchou
Facilitator
(female)

If doctors can't say for certain, I doubt anyone here can. I'd listen to the professionals.

Last edited by Titchou; 06-17-2017 at 08:00 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to Titchou For This Useful Post:
Thrax (06-19-2017)
Old 06-18-2017, 09:34 AM   #12
quincy
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

Do a search on your question. The answer is NO.....you cannot cause scoliosis to happen or make that curvature of your spine worse.

Poor posture will exacerbate strained and painful muscles, it will strengthen others that can exaggerate the muscular support systsm curve caused by contracted muscles.

I will, however, suggest that you have a proper check up and have your blood testedmfor vitamin D, calcium, b vitamins, iron....and thyroid.

Doctors saying they dont know the cause means on a clinical and medical level of why. Some are born with it, most have it start to happen in early teens. More girls than boys, and my suspicion it has to do with the growth related to hormones or a deficiency during growth spurts in adolescent years.. There is still a strong tendency genetically...but the tendency might not be spine curvature exactly....it might be a flaw in the driving force of maintining a fast growing and maturing body.

I believe your mother is wrong. But you can change your body strength and balance. You wont change the curvature of your spine.

What I didn't do is ask you how bad your scoliosis is.

q

Last edited by quincy; 06-18-2017 at 09:40 AM.

The following user gives a hug of support to quincy:
Thrax (06-19-2017)
The Following User Says Thank You to quincy For This Useful Post:
Thrax (06-19-2017)
Old 06-18-2017, 12:15 PM   #13
guit30
(male)

guit30 HB User

T,
You did not cause your scoliosis, Last year I developed a rather bad case of scoliosis quickly,It is in lower back, T1 to S1. I have a lean of 56. I have had back problems since 2000, I am in a lot of pain, but I do not know whether it is the scoliosis causing it or my previous problems, cervical and spinal stenosis. Google scoliosis and you will find a lot of helpful info.
guit30

The following user gives a hug of support to guit30:
Thrax (06-19-2017)
The Following User Says Thank You to guit30 For This Useful Post:
Thrax (06-19-2017)
Old 06-27-2017, 12:19 AM   #14
Lilu14
(female)

Lilu14 HB User

No, not your fault. My daughter had scoliosis and I turned my closet into a gym, sort of. Look into the schroth method. Maybe her curvature just straightened, or maybe the exercises we did, as taught by a trained therapist, helped. Who knows. You have nothing to lose, why not give it a try. She is now under 10 degrees, so th doctor said to come back in a year for a check up. Good luck.

Reply Reply