It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Scoliosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2010, 05:52 PM   #1
(female)

Plopony HB User
scoliosis - what could be causing sudden intense pain?

Hi,
I was diagnosed with scoliosis at age 4, braced at age 5 (discontinued at age 15), and now at age 20 I am doing ok, surgery-free. I have an S-curve of about 30 degrees. I have chronic soreness/pain in my upper back/shoulders/neck, which is usually manageable. But today, while sitting, towards the end of a long day, I got sudden intense upper back pain and tightness. There was extreme tightness and pain all around my upper back and rib cage (including chest) to the point where it was painful to breath and walk. Stretching made the pain worse. It was eventually relieved when I took a hot shower and ibuprofen, but the dull sensation is still there. What could have caused such sudden acute pain? I havent experienced this before... or rather than knowing what caused it, what can I do about this? I stretch every morning and night and try to keep in shape but I feel like it is largely out of my control.

Old 09-28-2010, 11:56 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User
Re: scoliosis - what could be causing sudden intense pain?

The curve could have changed or affected the vertebrae or discs. An xray would be the first step to see if anything changed and then maybe an MRI.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-03-2010, 06:58 PM   #3
(female)

waterpixie1327 HB User
Re: scoliosis - what could be causing sudden intense pain?

I agree with SpineAZ. You should definitly have an X-ray. I have a rib hump due to the curve in my thoracic and it causes sudden bouts of pain exactly like you described. The only thing that helps me is my heating pad and Ibuprofen (I won't take any other med's)
I've heard that physical therapy helps for some people also. They have you do exercises that build up your abs and core muscle that support the spine. Some have even had decreases in their curvatures.

Closed Thread