It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Scoliosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2010, 03:05 PM   #1
(female)

lizmom2ryan HB Userlizmom2ryan HB Userlizmom2ryan HB User
My background

I'm telling my back ground because that is what leads up to my problems now.

It all began when I was 12 and had back surgery (scoliosis). Back spine was turned and flipped crushing my right lung. I have 2 bars, 4 plates and 8 screws holding my spine in place. I've had problems like muscle spasms through out the yrs. But after having my son things have been slowly going down hill. I got diagnosed with hypothroidism in 2002. I got diagnosed with bi-polar in 2005. After many failed visits to the shrink. Then the so many aches and pains, headaches, my back freezing up, numbness, plus so many more things. My docs did some testing but basicly they thought it was all in my head. Finally in 2007 I got rewarded my disablity for 3 yrs. I finally also switched docs and got ones that listened to me.

In Feb 2009 I got real sick and thats when things went down hill fast. Everything from my speach, to memory, my aches, more spasms, etc.

My doc now listens to my concerns but there is just so many and she was lost also. Until we talked about the pain clinic. I went there, after getting the injection (which I hated) I found out that my muscles r spasming because it is protecting my joints. So I came home looked up muscle/joint. That is where I came across Fibro. I talked to my doc and she ordered blood work. Came back as Auto immune def. All this happened over the summer and end of Sept I was diagnosed with firbo.

I take now cymbalta, nearontin, synthroid, antivert, bentyl, vicidin, napoxan, and a few others I can't remember.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-05-2010, 04:42 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

kirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB User
Re: My background

It sounds like you have had a really rough road. I send healing thoughts your way, and much love and comfort.

Has one main doctor reviewed your presscriptions to make sure you are not overly dosing your body? I saw naproxen and vicoden in your line-up of drugs. You don't want to cause other problems because of medicine. Armour Thyroid may be a better option for the hypothyroidism (more expensive though).

It is a pretty common occurence to have some medical trauma to rear the ugly head of FMS. What you have described fits. But it is a process and you need to have a professional diagnosis - do not rely on the internet. I will tell you that I did investigations on the internet (similar to you) and then told my doctor what I found out. Once I told him what I found out, he made the effort to diagnose FMS properly.

Kirstee

Old 11-05-2010, 05:09 PM   #3
(female)

Oh I have been seen by a doc and he was the one who dig me

Old 11-05-2010, 10:23 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sunsetnan HB UserSunsetnan HB UserSunsetnan HB UserSunsetnan HB UserSunsetnan HB UserSunsetnan HB UserSunsetnan HB UserSunsetnan HB UserSunsetnan HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizmom2ryan View Post
I'm telling my back ground because that is what leads up to my problems now.

In Feb 2009 I got real sick and thats when things went down hill fast. Everything from my speach, to memory, my aches, more spasms, etc.

I talked to my doc and she ordered blood work. Came back as Auto immune def. All this happened over the summer and end of Sept I was diagnosed with firbo.

I take now cymbalta, nearontin, synthroid, antivert, bentyl, vicidin, napoxan, and a few others I can't remember.
Sorry to hear that you are in pain. Typically, autoimmune disorders begin after a major stressor to the body like a bad virus or an accident, injury, etc... With Lupus, for example, there can be a genetic tendency towards it. I would suspect Fibromyalgia has a genetic component as well. I have a cousin with Lupus and Fibro, just like me.

I am curious what tests were done that showed the autoimmune component and why was Fibromyalgia the disorder she diagnosed. Generally, it takes a long time to determine if one has FMS. The symptoms are very similar to other disorders such as Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, arthritis, etc.

It also sounds as if you have other components complicating your pain such as the scoliosis surgical repair. I am curious as to why you are taking the Antivert. Have you been dizzy? And, if so, do they know the reason? Is your doctor an internist or a rheumatologist, or did the pain management doctor diagnose this? I'm confused. But, what's new?

It sounds like it's been really hard life for you. I knew a friend who wore a brace for her scoliosis during the high school years. I felt sorry for her to have to wear that contraption during a time when teenagers are so self conscious. Your case sounds like it was pretty severe to require surgery and so much hardware and at such a young age.

If you have any specific questions, there is a lot of experience on this board. And if you need support, there's tons of compassion here, too.
Wishing you a pain free night,

Old 11-06-2010, 12:42 PM   #5
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunsetnan View Post
I am curious what tests were done that showed the autoimmune component and why was Fibromyalgia the disorder she diagnosed. Generally, it takes a long time to determine if one has FMS. The symptoms are very similar to other disorders such as Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, arthritis, etc.

It also sounds as if you have other components complicating your pain such as the scoliosis surgical repair. I am curious as to why you are taking the Antivert. Have you been dizzy? And, if so, do they know the reason? Is your doctor an internist or a rheumatologist, or did the pain management doctor diagnose this? I'm confused. But, what's new?

It sounds like it's been really hard life for you. I knew a friend who wore a brace for her scoliosis during the high school years. I felt sorry for her to have to wear that contraption during a time when teenagers are so self conscious. Your case sounds like it was pretty severe to require surgery and so much hardware and at such a young age. ,

My pcp just did bloodwork and found the auto immune. She referred me to a rheumatologist. I saw him end of Sept. I brought in all my paper work from all meds I'm on to all the problems I'm having. I wrote everything down. We had 1 hr appt and he said it was not lupus but took blood work to make sure. He said at this first appt I have fibro. I think he giagnosed me right there is because it has been many yrs of this pain and the tender pts. everything is in my file. He gave me some handouts, showed me some other stuff and that was it. I contuine with my pcp for any problems. Which I havn't seen her yet...I'm making appt on Monday.

As for the antivert, yes I have dizzyspells alot. not so much lately but when I have them watch out. I've had dizzy spells for gosh 15 yrs. Never went into detail really what causes it...that I'm aware of any way..lol.

As for my back, if I had the surgery 6 months before I would have had to have a brace. Lucky I didn't have to have one. I kind wish I had though cause maybe I wouldn't have so many problems with my neck and back.

I hope that answered ur questions. Feel free to ask more.

Last edited by lizmom2ryan; 11-06-2010 at 12:43 PM.

Old 11-07-2010, 08:44 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

thefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB User

You've had a tough time! I just posted to you on another post saying you were lucky to be diagnosed so soon... I was wrong. I really hope things will get easier for you!
I was on the Nurontin... It gave me awful mood swings... Found out it does that... I'm on Cymbolta right now & so far so good... How are you doing on it?

Old 11-07-2010, 08:55 AM   #7
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by themartinfarm View Post
You've had a tough time! I just posted to you on another post saying you were lucky to be diagnosed so soon... I was wrong. I really hope things will get easier for you!
I was on the Nurontin... It gave me awful mood swings... Found out it does that... I'm on Cymbolta right now & so far so good... How are you doing on it?
I think I was diagnosed so soon was because I never gave up always talked to my doc forcing things. Also I search alot of things. 1st time I went to the shrink and he said I had a mood disorder. I read up on that and found I had a lot of symptoms and brought it to his attention. After talking and what not I was diagnosed with bi-polar. Same with this but just took longer. I also think it had alot to do with getting sick and things going down hill fast.

Last edited by lizmom2ryan; 11-07-2010 at 08:55 AM.

Closed Thread