It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Scoliosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2011, 10:21 PM   #1
(male)

Impal63 HB User
is it possible to have rapid scoliosis?

well i had a visit with the doctor today cause of shooting pain from the back of my hip through my thigh to the right knee. The doctor took one look at the x-ray of my back and said it was from a bad case of scoliosis. then he started to blow smoke up my *** saying i had to have been born with it or developed it at a very young age. im 24 years old and have been checked for this condition many times growing up as a kid with no sign of deformity. 3 years ago i was in a car accident and had x-rays taken. doctors said i had a very slight case of scoliosis probably from the muscle tearing in my back. now, 3 years later, my spine has a huge curvature. and not only is it looking bad on the x-ray, its starting to get very painful. honestly, i dont know what i can do about it. any comments or helpful advice would be great thanks

The following user gives a hug of support to Impal63:
severe bonepain (09-28-2011)
Old 09-28-2011, 09:04 PM   #2
(female)

severe bonepain HB Usersevere bonepain HB User
Re: is it possible to have rapid scoliosis?

I do believe that a slight bit of scoliosis could rapidly deteriorate with an injury. It's called degenerative scoliosis when it becomes worse with age.

If your doctor isn't supportive, get one who is willing to refer you to a neurologist and a surgeon. You have a right to know what the future holds in store for you. These tests will give you some idea what you're up against. Get a Hydroxy25vitamin D test. Vitamin D deficiency manifests itself as all over bone pain and mental fog, among other things.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-15-2012, 08:25 PM   #3
(female)

Worrywart6 HB User

I have heard from my Chiropractor that rapid scoliosis isnt a common thing but it is possible, I should know. A few years ago I was checked for scoliosis and they said I had a very minor curve in my back, and after a surprisingly rapid growth spurt I now have severe scoliosis...all with in a year. So I do believe in rapid scoliosis and I think that you should look for a new doctor and even a Chiropractor to help with the pain and fixing it.
Toodles

Old 08-19-2012, 06:34 PM   #4
(female)

clowder HB User

hi
i notice your post is rather old. are you still having problems?

Old 09-28-2012, 07:51 PM   #5
(female)

cindygee HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impal63 View Post
well i had a visit with the doctor today cause of shooting pain from the back of my hip through my thigh to the right knee. The doctor took one look at the x-ray of my back and said it was from a bad case of scoliosis. then he started to blow smoke up my *** saying i had to have been born with it or developed it at a very young age. im 24 years old and have been checked for this condition many times growing up as a kid with no sign of deformity. 3 years ago i was in a car accident and had x-rays taken. doctors said i had a very slight case of scoliosis probably from the muscle tearing in my back. now, 3 years later, my spine has a huge curvature. and not only is it looking bad on the x-ray, its starting to get very painful. honestly, i dont know what i can do about it. any comments or helpful advice would be great thanks
I developed mine during puperty as well as my sis. So, naturally I've checked my kids over the years. My oldest just turned 22 and has recently developed it. We dont know what degree it is yet, but we Do know what caused it. We have the genetic disorder Ehlers-Danlos syndrome. They say it rare, but I honestly believe its rarely properly diagnosed. It's not uncommon for people with EDS to have spine curvatures.

Cindy

Old 02-18-2013, 09:50 AM   #6
(female)

wishiwasbetter HB User

You probably had it from birth, most people do. I can only give advice, as I have Severe Scoliosis with ruptured discs, nerve impingement...the whole nine yards. DON'T do any heavy lifting or pushing. Nothing that requires strength from the back. You don't want to have surgery, as there are too many drs. making mistakes out there & you don't want to be one of them. Don't re-arrange the heavy furniture.....pay someone, or if you're female, have your husband do it. Just Lifting the corner of a couch or bed can make it worse, it may not..but WHY take the chance? Is that kind of thing worth it? NO. Go easy on the back, and excercise to strengthen the muscles around it. I went for 12 yrs. with a pain diagnosis of Fibromyalgia to find out, FINALLY, that I have & have had Severe Scoliosis and that was the cause of most of my pain. If your scoliosis is a mild to moderate case it's good to invest in an Inversion table. They're not that big, nor are they terribly expensive. You lay on it (like a lounge chair to sun in) and your ankles clamp into these padded clamps, and then you lay back. First you're flat out straight (prone)..and then you start to raise your arms, which makes you go Upside down (there's a strap beneath the chair to adjust to how far you are comfortable with and you adjust it, I go all the way) Gravity & the weight of your body then gently pulls your spine. It's not Mechanical like a Traction Machine, it's just your own body weight in reverse so it's not harmful, actually, I wish I could sleep like that, but it's not comfortable enough, and the blood does goe to your head at the beginning, but you get used to that quickly.
hope that helps....Just don't do any heavy lifting or pushing (your back muscles are involved in alot more than just lifting)...Good Luck.

wishiwasbetter

Reply Reply