It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Scoliosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2011, 06:31 PM   #1
(female)

avecScoliose HB User
Scoliosis getting worse?

Hello All. I'm new to these boards and I'm starting off with a bit of a long message...

I have thoracic scoliosis. I'm now in my mid twenties and the last time I had my degree checked it was 48, that was about two years ago. I still get occasional back pain on the top, but three weeks ago I began having pain on the bottom right of my back. At the same time I was having ridiculous pain on the right side of my hip --from just sitting down. Another thing I noticed was I got an inch shorter. --Would that be an indication of my curve getting bigger? Furthermore, I've been feeling pain in my diaphragm. Would any of these things indicate my curve getting worse? Has anything like this happened to anyone with adult scoliosis?

I'm definitely going to get some x-rays done to see if what I've concluded is true. But some advice or stories would be appreciated!

Last edited by avecScoliose; 05-14-2011 at 06:33 PM.

Old 05-31-2011, 04:10 PM   #2
(female)

brenjoe HB User
Re: Scoliosis getting worse?

I too had scoliosis. I was diagnosed at age 13, and gradually over the course of several years, my curve ended up at 72 degrees. I had corrective surgery 10 years ago, at the age of 24, and now am the proud owner of two rods in my back I do recall some pain in my hip, about getting shorter I am not sure, I can tell you that I grew nearly two inches with the corrective surgery though. I stood tall and proud at 5 feet 1 inch pre-surgery, and I now stand 5 feet 2 and 3 quarters inches now. I am sorry I couldn't help you more with your questions, but I would advise that you get yours rechecked. Keep me posted!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-13-2011, 04:28 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

susieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB User

I have had scoliosis since I was 13 - 60 degrees off - "S" curve. I wore a brace, but didn't do a very good job with it. I was young, active and took it off every chance I got. Needless to say, I didn't get much better.
I am very lucky though. I am almost 49 and have very little back pain ever. Once in awhile if I do to much I get a little sore, but nothing major.
I am shorter now though. I used to be 5'5 and now I am 5'3.
I still ride my horses, exercise and do what ever I want without much trouble.

Old 09-28-2011, 08:24 PM   #4
(female)

severe bonepain HB Usersevere bonepain HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by avecScoliose View Post
Hello All. I'm new to these boards and I'm starting off with a bit of a long message...

I have thoracic scoliosis. I'm now in my mid twenties and the last time I had my degree checked it was 48, that was about two years ago. I still get occasional back pain on the top, but three weeks ago I began having pain on the bottom right of my back. At the same time I was having ridiculous pain on the right side of my hip --from just sitting down. Another thing I noticed was I got an inch shorter. --Would that be an indication of my curve getting bigger? Furthermore, I've been feeling pain in my diaphragm. Would any of these things indicate my curve getting worse? Has anything like this happened to anyone with adult scoliosis?

I'm definitely going to get some x-rays done to see if what I've concluded is true. But some advice or stories would be appreciated!
Yes. Please see the doctor. You should have gotten the surgery, hon. I remember when mine began to hurt, I was about your age. That was nearly 20 years ago. You're still young. I would beg and plead the doctors to do your surgery. You're so young!

Reply Reply