It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Scoliosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2011, 07:30 AM   #1
(male)

Dakota19602 HB User
Hardware Block

Hello All,

I have a 17 year old daughter who had over a 40 degree curvature and had scoliosis surgery in June of 2008. After she healed from her surgery she started complaining about sharp pains shooting down her right leg. After numerous follow-ups with the surgeon and my daughter telling him she was hurting I got the feeling that he did not believe what she was telling him because he had never experienced this problem. For the first year after surgery she went to different procedures to try and get the bottom of what was going on to attending physical therapy a few times a week.

After nothing helped including the original surgeon I took her to another doctor who ordered a mylogram for her and quickly found that there was a screw that was touching one of her nerves. Anyway after these findings we went back to the original doctor and he scheduled a revision surgery for her in June 2009. After this was completed she was feeling a little better for a short time period.

Now two surgeries later she has started complaining of the pain again and the second doctor who originally diagnosed her problem has scheduled a hardware block. I want to do what is best for my daughter because she is only 17 and is having to eat pain pills everyday to cope with the pain she is having.

So I guess my question is has anyone ever been through this procedure (hardware block)? How accurate is it to determine if the hardware is the problem? How painful is this procedure? If it finds problems with the hardware how dramatic a surgery is the hardware removal compared to the original surgery?

Thanks for all your help!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-02-2011, 07:59 PM   #2
(female)

sma99 HB User
Re: Hardware Block

I had surgery 10 yrs ago and I never had an issue until recently with the SAME pain. I am in tears all the time with shooting pain down my spine, legs and arms. No one believes how bad the pain is and they think I'm exaggerating. I'm pretty sure one of my hooks has moved and I think it is hitting a nerve but no doctor seems to think that's the problem. I'm not really sure about hardware block or what that is but I completely understand what your daughter is feeling! I've been told that removing the hardware isn't as bad as the actual surgery but I am not certain. Hope the problem gets fixed!

Old 05-12-2012, 11:19 PM   #3
(female)

tinanelson HB User
Re: Hardware Block

hey mine was over 40% i have hardware
put in mine was done 2 stages

Reply Reply