It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Scoliosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2011, 01:47 PM   #1
(female)

Duck Dodgers HB UserDuck Dodgers HB User
Mild scoliosis with severe constant pain

Hi,
I am a 20 year old female and have had back pain for around five years.

About two years ago I was told that I have two spots of mild scoliosis, one in my lower back and one in my upper back.

The lower area starts hurting if I stand or bend very much and will be sore if you gently press on the area.

The area of my upper back radiates pain up my neck and around my shoulder blade area almost all the time, but much worse on the right side.
If I "tighten" my muscles I hear a "popping" sound and the pain is slightly relieved for a few minutes up to a couple hours.

The pain is worse at night and I often wake up a lot. I haven't been able to sleep on my right side for over two years now with out extreme pain and headaches. There will also be swelling/pressure "under" my shoulderblade.

I can't lift or carry things very well and I feel like a baby or something. Most of my family doesn't really believe me about the pain, especially since they can't see my scoliosis and its not supposed to hurt this bad when its this mild.

I have other painful points; lower ribs, sometimes elbows and other joints. Headaches a lot. In the last year I was diagnosed with sever depression and I think the constant pain is part of the problem. I have had some undiagnosed heart issues (other than suposedly "painless" PVC).

I can't handle heat or cold well... I get terrible head pain and lightheadedness that lasts for hours or days if I work out in the heat very long at all.
I feel like a walking complaint or something and most of my friends and family think I am... hence a few suicidal attepts.

I'm only 20! I should be out working a job and "pulling my load". I don't drink or smoke. I take very little prescription drugs even for pain. I eat healthy (mostly organic, all natual, and whole foods) almost no pop or caffien.
I should be "fine" but I feel half dead already!

Sorry its long.. I'm a bit frustrated...
Any help or advice?

The following user gives a hug of support to Duck Dodgers:
EdgarisCrooked (09-04-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-04-2011, 05:08 PM   #2
(male)

EdgarisCrooked HB User
Re: Mild scoliosis with severe constant pain

Wow, I have never heard anyone describe my same problem so thoroughly. I was diagnosed with mild scoliosis over 2 years ago, but from my pain level it seems to be severe. I have two slight curves, one lumbar and the other thoracic. I can't sit for more than 5 minutes without feeling intense pain in the middle of my spine and eventually my left leg goes numb and I have to walk it off. I can't stand without one or both of my knees and ankles hurting. I can't lay down for long without my neck burning and without having to toss and turn all night (the area where I sleep looks extra wrinkled compared to the rest). And psychologically, I am a big mess. And like your friends and family, because it is difficult to spot my scoliosis, think that I am exaggerating or just plain weak. I really hope you still keep up with this forum because I am dying to speak to someone who can relate to my pain. Look forward to hearing from you and I hope you are feeling better.

Last edited by moderator2; 09-04-2011 at 05:10 PM.

Old 09-10-2011, 10:22 AM   #3
(female)

Duck Dodgers HB UserDuck Dodgers HB User

Hi EdgarisCrooked,
I don't get on here very much. I haven't received much help from this site so have been looking elswere. Have you had any helpful reccomendations for your back/pain/etc? (Not just from this site, I mean from anywhere? Family, friend, doctor, online?)
It helps me a little when I use a pain relieving lotion (Bengay, BioFreeze..). It at leasts helps me be able to get to sleep and eases the pain for up to an hour.
I am sorry you have this to live with, but I am glad to hear I'm not alone.
The doctors I have gone to keep prescribing high doses of pain killers, but I want to find out what is going wrong to CAUSE the pain. I don't want the side effects of prolonged pain killer use. How 'bout you?

The Following User Says Thank You to Duck Dodgers For This Useful Post:
headachey7 (03-17-2012)
Old 09-10-2011, 12:00 PM   #4
(male)

EdgarisCrooked HB User

I actually started going back to the gym this week and feel a little better so far. I have tried the gym before but always ended up hurting myself, so I thought this time I should definitely seek some advice before diving in and scheduled a session with a personal trainer at Ballys. Turned out the guy knew a hell of a lot more than I assumed and started to point out specific muscles that are weaker than they should be. He told me that what possibly happened to me was that because my back was weak due to the asymmetry, I unconsciously stopped using muscles that would hurt me and therefore inadvertently weakened them further. So for now I'm gonna try to work on my back, legs and abs, which are my weakest muscles. From the looks of it, I have to work through the pain to accomplish anything. How have you been coping with things lately? Have you ever gone to a doctor that specializes in scoliosis and if so, what did they recommend. Most doctors I go to say that my curves are so slight that I shouldn't even be considered to have scoliosis. Don't know how that helps because I still feel intense pain. By the way, thank you for the reply and I agree, it feels good to not be alone in this.

Old 09-27-2011, 11:15 PM   #5
(male)

USMCLabRot HB User

For what it is worth young lady. I have experienced the very same thing for the last 20 years!
Please don't wait for somebody else to authenticate your troubles. You need to be very aggressive in getting the medical help you need. It is not going away on its own. You need to be proactive!
I say this only because after 20 years I just realized the same thing for myself.
For the love of God little girl! See somebody about pain management.

Old 09-28-2011, 08:53 PM   #6
(female)

severe bonepain HB Usersevere bonepain HB User

Aw, hon. That's just terrible that your family doesn't understand. Have you gotten x-rays? If so, shove them in everyone's smug, judgemental faces.

Vitamin D deficiency causes more pain, so have a hydroxy vitamin D test done regularly, and even mild scoliosis can cause nerve compression, so don't you worry about it. Try and press for whatever surgical repair they would be willing to offer. Push for it before it's too late. It's probably going to get worse the older you get.

I remember hurting with it in my 20s, and you're just too young for all that suffering. Pain in the arms could surprisingly be due to nerve entrapment from your upper spine, or from carpal tunnel, which involves the median nerve, (that would include your thumb, pointer finger, and middle finger, up your arm, and into your collarbone, or if you have ulnar nerve entrapment, it would include the pinky finger, the one next to it, and that half of your hand, along with that arm, and it goes on up into the collarbone, as well.

Get nerve testing from a neurologist, and get a bone scan.

Get copies of your x-rays on disk to show your family. It should be free.

Pay them for a copy of the bone scan disk to show your family. I think it cost me $25.00

I see so many young people online whose families are against surgery, and I think it's just going to be regrettable for your families as you kids age. Shame, shame, shame on them. Keep your head up, and don't worry about what other people think. They don't have to spend one second in your skin to know how it feels.

My family never understood until they saw my x-rays, either, and nobody told me I had scoliosis. I didn't know because I didn't spend time in the mirror. I just happened to see my reflection in a door. lol. That's dense!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to severe bonepain For This Useful Post:
Duck Dodgers (09-30-2011), headachey7 (03-17-2012), USMCLabRot (09-29-2011)
Old 10-21-2011, 08:40 PM   #7
(male)

tl23v0l2 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Dodgers View Post
Hi,
I am a 20 year old female and have had back pain for around five years.

About two years ago I was told that I have two spots of mild scoliosis, one in my lower back and one in my upper back.

The lower area starts hurting if I stand or bend very much and will be sore if you gently press on the area.

The area of my upper back radiates pain up my neck and around my shoulder blade area almost all the time, but much worse on the right side.
If I "tighten" my muscles I hear a "popping" sound and the pain is slightly relieved for a few minutes up to a couple hours.

The pain is worse at night and I often wake up a lot. I haven't been able to sleep on my right side for over two years now with out extreme pain and headaches. There will also be swelling/pressure "under" my shoulderblade.

I can't lift or carry things very well and I feel like a baby or something. Most of my family doesn't really believe me about the pain, especially since they can't see my scoliosis and its not supposed to hurt this bad when its this mild.

I have other painful points; lower ribs, sometimes elbows and other joints. Headaches a lot. In the last year I was diagnosed with sever depression and I think the constant pain is part of the problem. I have had some undiagnosed heart issues (other than suposedly "painless" PVC).

I can't handle heat or cold well... I get terrible head pain and lightheadedness that lasts for hours or days if I work out in the heat very long at all.
I feel like a walking complaint or something and most of my friends and family think I am... hence a few suicidal attepts.

I'm only 20! I should be out working a job and "pulling my load". I don't drink or smoke. I take very little prescription drugs even for pain. I eat healthy (mostly organic, all natual, and whole foods) almost no pop or caffien.
I should be "fine" but I feel half dead already!

Sorry its long.. I'm a bit frustrated...
Any help or advice?
Its been 6 years since I have diagnosed by mild scoliosis. I feel your pain as I feel it every day of my life.

I'll tell you my history for the past 6 yrs so won't feel this yrs of pain like I did. When I was a child I usually lift heavy items (heavier than my weight) which is a no no to do. After that the rest is PAIN.

What I've done to treat my back pain is that I don't lift heavy items like in the past. But here's the deal, even though I manages to disregard lifting things it still get worsen. I believe it is due to improper sitting posture when I play computer games for long hours and through my work which my shoulders were intensively used 8 hrs a day.

At this present time, the thing I'm doing to lessen the pain when I felt it is stretching the part of my body when the pain occurs.

By the way, my back and right shoulder always feels the pain. But in some occasions ( I dunno if those have scoliosis felt it too) my right ear feel this shacking and hear this weird sound waves. I don't know is this cause by my scoliosis but I'm having a got feeling this is also part of its symptoms. I hope some of you verify this info.

This will be a pain issue forever for me and I'm finding ways now to lessen this pain or if I'm lucky enough to eliminate this pain forever.

Last edited by mod85; 10-22-2011 at 06:32 AM.

Old 11-06-2011, 10:16 PM   #8
(female)

LianeMT HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Dodgers View Post
Hi EdgarisCrooked,
I don't get on here very much. I haven't received much help from this site so have been looking elswere. Have you had any helpful reccomendations for your back/pain/etc? (Not just from this site, I mean from anywhere? Family, friend, doctor, online?)
It helps me a little when I use a pain relieving lotion (Bengay, BioFreeze..). It at leasts helps me be able to get to sleep and eases the pain for up to an hour.
I am sorry you have this to live with, but I am glad to hear I'm not alone.
The doctors I have gone to keep prescribing high doses of pain killers, but I want to find out what is going wrong to CAUSE the pain. I don't want the side effects of prolonged pain killer use. How 'bout you?

Guys, I was diagnosed with scoliosis when i was 14. Since I god diagnosed I went through special physical exercise program, tried yoga, swimming, different type of massage therapy, however my scoliosis was progressing. When I was 16 I found a really good massage therapist who helped me a lot, at that time the angle was around 44 degrees. I had massage everyday for a year, along with swimming and my angle reduced to around 25 degrees. I felt great and my headaches stopped, unfortunately I had to move to other city and stopped my therapy, after a while angle increased to 38 degrees. I do swimming regularly and it helps a lot, if I stop then have back pain and headaches almost everyday. Also a couple of years ago I learned about one men who helps with scoliosis. Unfortunately, the guy lives in Russia, but I have friends over there so was able to go there. The results were very impressive.

Personally, I'd recommend - do not give up, there much worth scenarios exist, when people have angles of 70 degrees and higher, and it's really awful and hard to live with such condition.

If you can, try scoliosis short therapy (Germany method), I've heard a lot of positive feedbacks about that therapy, could not do it myself only because of the length of the therapy.

You have much more chances to improve your condition while you are young, so do not waste your time.

Old 11-18-2011, 11:57 PM   #9
(female)

DandyCandy HB User

I am 22 and have the same exact issues.. my husband thinks I complain too much and doesn't believe the pain im constantly in. Doctors tell me it shouldn't hurtcand prescribe pain killers that just knock me out... so I don't take them and just tough it out. Its getting old being in pain. =[

Old 03-17-2012, 04:03 PM   #10
(female)

headachey7 HB User

Just want to say thank you to everyone that has posted here. I'm really sorry we're all in this position but I am bowled over by how supportive it is to find people with mild scoliosis finding their voice and speaking out about the pain they experience.

Like many of you I too have been minimised or not belived when I have expressed the degree of pain I'm in. My 'mild scoliosis' has seemed to mean to many that I must be in no or little pain. The pain cause by not being aligned i.e. pain in neck, shoulders, head and hips has been so lonely to bear on my own. So thank you all for being here. It's given me a little hope for the future.

headachey7

Old 03-31-2012, 02:48 PM   #11
(male)

Drew82 HB User

i also have scoliosis and know the type of pain you r goin through. my past dr did very little if anything and told me to tak tylenol i finnaly quit going to that dr and found one after i fell off ladder and injured my back more he was very knowledgeable and simpathetic. he prescribed me 50mcg fentanyl patch and oxycodone they seem to help especially the patch but help is out there you need to just keep ur hopes up and dont give up

Closed Thread